Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Come on , you all got to admit talent-wise; Lin Dan > Lee Chong wei . Just look at the head 2 head records. Not to mention what happened in the Olympic :D.

LCW is a nice guy and I dont want to say anything negative about him but LD is just in a class of his own.

p.s. I am a fan of both LD and LCW

2. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Hmm dunno about that, Lin Dan just gets into position quicker, if you can give yourself more time to take the shot, I'm sure there'd be more players who'd produce those sort of shots. Also taking into account footwork, go take a good luck at the two playing and see for yourself ^^.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

If he is not more talented, how can he get into position quicker?
    Seriously he was just built unlike others to play at such insanely paced level.

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Incidentally getting into position quick enough seems to be the problem that most players face. LD just gets/makes a lot more time to make his shots. Bah... I think he also happen to have excellent footwork and court speed.

5. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Lol, you are contradicting yourself with such a statement. I think it should be you that needed to watch them play closely and see for yourself. I have no idea who you been watching and thought it was Lin Dan

ummmmmm...who had better footwork around the court and can get into position quicker and able to play an attacking shot -------> Lin Dan :D

6. majyun

majyun Regular Member

I see, thanks for the clarification. Brain drain is a serious issue in Asia, especially in my country, but that's because of the working condition and the market are not as good as what the western countries are offering. Job opportunities are very limited for high caliber professionals and you will need to rely on networking and good relationship with certain parties in order to get anything decent in China. This is also why most of the bright students without a strong backing didn't even try to get a job back home. Hopefully, things will get better when I graduate. Before turning this into a political post, I better stop for now.

Thank you.

I have been here for quite sometime although my account shows otherwise.
    Don't get me wrong, cheering for your favorite players is not a sin, but complimenting your favorite players on the expense of disrespecting other professional players is utmost disguising. I have read almost all the posts in the threads you mentioned and I do agree that certain non-LD fans could be annoying sometimes. However, they are not as irritating as some of the LD fans here. The most recent case which really got on my nerves happened in the [​IMG] 11th China National Games-badminton Oct 11,2009 threads, where a fan girl made a remark which I find it hard to swallow.

Chen Jin, being one of my acquaintances and my favourite player, was not being given the merit he should receive in that thread(by LD's fan of course, who else would have done that? ). But guess what, that's not the end of the story. According to that fan girl, the whole reason CJ was able to steal a set from LD in his semifinal games was all due to LD being generous enough to let him win. That's right, it was a charity work from LD not because of CJ's hard work. Having know CJ, I know how hard that guy have work in order to get to the position he is in. And all his sweat and hard work has been ridiculed by this very fan girl, who spoke(or typed...whatever) in a tone that doesn't even consider CJ as a worthy opponent to LD. From what she said, she gave me the impression that she was intending to strip the final honour of CJ for being able to compete with LD in the semifinals stage and was suggesting that whatever this gentleman(CJ) have achieved was all given by LD.

And boy I was so pissed when I read it but I was calm enough not to make a scene of this(I am glad this happened on the internet, not sure what would I have done to her if I see heard this from her in person) until I read another ridiculous post by another LD's fan... which prompt me to click on LD's thread for the first time.

Note this is not the first time I read a remark like this from a LD's fan and it certainly is not the last.

#46 majyun, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    if Chen J didn't work hard enough would he be able to win titles ? no way jose .. some fans is just a bit nuts in my opinion .. Lin D is a great player no doubt but stiill he's just normal human being like us .. onceawhile he'll suffer defeat

8. TedTheFarmer

It seems I wasn't really being clear, talent for moving quicker is different than talent for being able to "play the game" so much better than everyone else. If you're referring to movement speed as being more talented at badminton then you'd expect more sprinters to be playing the game would you not? What I was referring to when I was talking about footwork was the fluidity of Lee Chong Wei's movements, now sure Lin Dan has exceptional footwork to but personally I consider LCW's as being better. So if you're looking at it like that then yes I say Lee Chong Wei is the more talented of the two. The reason I pick up on footwork is because it's just so hard to judge talent on shots without knowing fully what it takes, you would really need to have been in the top to judge the top on something as complicated, whereas footwork is easier to judge because it is the basics of the game.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    nobody here is denying CJ's hardwork and perseverance but any unbiased badminton player can see lin dan is a better overall player than CJ. Sure LD is beatable but that is more of an exception than a norm. You yourself said you're CJ fan, can we say what u said earlier are biased too?

btw, lcw and CJ are 2 very hard working players. So hard working that they are 2 of the top players who often lose matches because of injury related matters; lcw his knees and CJ his back

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

This is just so hard to understand..... :eek:

Able to move quick on the court != (not equal) good footwork??? What is footwork anyways??? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHVrC6D83_w

#50 Wong8Egg, Oct 28, 2009
  11. TedTheFarmer

I thought I covered it to be honest, but I'll say again. Being born with the structure to move quicker than other players is different than being born with the ability to use the badminton footwork better than other players. Being quicker is more generic and shouldn't really be applied directly to badminton talent. Footwork is the sequence of movements around the badminton court required to reach the shuttle in the shortest and more efficient amount of time. It is one of the most important, if not the most important, things to be able to do in singles badminton at that level.

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

So you're saying LD is able to move quicker than other players like LCW but not reaching the shuttle quicker than other player like LCW???? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

oh my gosh...

..a fan girl???...*gaaaasp*i hope it's not the member which has the letters "s" and "n" as the initial and last letter in her screen-name...:confused::eek::p

14. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

This is an internet forum, members are from different
    countries with different culture backgrounds. Any event can
    be viewed many different ways, halt-empty or half-full, therefore an opinion can always be biased. We just need to agree to disagree,
    And we all have options to read. ignore, or read and ignore.
    I enjoy reading most posts if time allowed...

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u r wrong. You can't say any of the top 5 or top 10 MS players have footwork needed improvement. In fact, lcw i think, has excellent excellent defensive skill and footwork, equal to or better than LD. The most important skill to have is mental smartness, as i've illustrated in my skillset pyramid in another thread. This is what separate LD from LCW. Footwork is nothing without some decent mental strength & smartness. LD movement look so easy on courts because he anticipate where the shuttle likely come back. This mental skill apply to all sports. gretzky (hockey player) is great because he can see further ahead where the puck will be going to than all other players. Saying LD has better footwork is too simplified, it is a after thought analysis/opinion. Anybody can be trained with good footwork. Mental smartness is not easily trained tho. That is why LCW is stuck at where he is now. I also said before that lcw is 'over trained' on footwork to the point of wrecking his knees. That is why lcw's committment to train harder and harder so he can beat LD on the next, next, and next tournament keep failing. Why? Because more and more training on footwork and strokes wouldn't help him to to beat LD but only to wear out his knees faster

Let me disclose my view on lcw. Misbun and rashid need to train lcw's mental smartness, not footfook. LCW keep losing to LD because he is playing reaction badminton. He has no specific goal to his shots or any shots geared specifically to weaken LD where as LD has tactically shots keep controlling lcw which force lcw to play reactive badminton shots.

On TH, TH has the on court smartness but lack the stamina to fulfill his plan.

The only MS player right now who has the complete set of skills is LD.

#55 cooler, Oct 28, 2009
  16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I think Ted means LCW has smoother footwork...while LD has more rough-looking but efficient footwork, considering how he can suddenly increase pace and move as fast as LCW.

I dont' LD's that talented at all, but he is extremely hard working. The way his game has matured since 2004 is simply crazy....he started off as a one dimensional player into an intelligent player who can find open spots extremely fast and change pace by himself. LCW....can go fast but makes mistakes and doesn't dictate pace enough.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u make contradictory comment: LD is not talented at all but he can do this and that, and is the winningest player. :rolleyes: Can i ask u, if not KD, who is the most talented MS out there now?

#57 cooler, Oct 28, 2009
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

can we term this as reckless driving?
    my question is, what good is speed when u don't know where ur going or aiming at?

#58 cooler, Oct 28, 2009
  19. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You don't have to be talented if you work hard and learn fast :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll say that he is very talented, but others like LCW and Taufik are more so. However, Taufik is not motivated, bad fitness, he's coasting. LCW has bad mental toughness. LD comes out on top because he works hard, learns fast, and in the end becomes the best player and thus wins all of the tournaments, major titles, etc.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

isn't learning fast is a mental smartness characteristic? Don't tell me players below LD is not hardworking.