Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    That's a good point actually. I don't like it when people say gear doesn't matter at all because it obviously does. I will, without a shadow of a doubt, play better with a good racket than one of those aluminium ones that come in sets. OK, a beginner will probably play worse with an Arc10 than a decent beginners' racket but either way, gear matters - not just rackets, shoes, strings even grips to a certain extent matter. You play with some pretty decent rackets considering rackets don't really matter to you ;):rolleyes:.

I must admit though (as in another point I made), seeing a beginner come on court with an AT700ltd, AT900, MP100, Arc10 or any other high end racket but without badminton shoes is equally annoying (if not more so) than people saying gear doesn't matter.

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Yes I agree there is a threshold to where equipment should not go, but in general, any decent racquet strung at a good tension will be okay, no matter which charactoristics. But hey, what works for me is great, what works for you is great as well. ;)

3. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

In my experience, equipment does make a difference but they come in this order of importance (excluding clothes - athletic clothes seem self-evident to me):

Shoes
    Grip
    String
    Racquet

So yes, it does annoy me when people reverse the order. I regularly play against a someone who used to compete Nationally. Whenever he breaks his strings, he just picks up a club racquet... and still destroys us. Think of it this way. I've always been told by my coach that when you break the sport down, footwork is the most important part of your game; even more important than your stroke. So shoes are number 1. As for everything else, it's a question of how you're getting to the shuttle. The grip is actually what you are in contact with, the string is actually what the shuttle is in contact with. The racquet itself is mostly a middling-piece. Obviously, still important but probably the last thing anyone should be concerned about as long as it's decent.

Think of the difference each makes if you DIDN'T have them. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip, and BG 85 strings on a $30 racquet, I'm pretty sure I'd be just fine. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip and dead strings on my NS 7700, I'd still probably be fine, but I'd notice some level of decline on my game. If I had good shoes, my NS 7700 with BG 85 strings but with a worn out, slippery, and factory grip, my shots will definitely experience a marked decline. Finally, if I had my ideal racquet but played in uncomfortable and slippery shoes, I'd probably suck. That's how I see it.

4. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    The fact that you need another person to play.. so hard for me to get a consistent partner to train with.

5. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Hm..never really thought of it that way. I always would be grip last. My grip is old. Too lazy to change it, but I still am able to use it without any trouble. Mine goes Shoes, String, Racket, Grip.

6. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Does string really make that much difference? In what sense? I have Ti65 or whatever the most common one is; would it be worth changing up?

7. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    :eek: Strings and string tension can make a huge difference to your game. There is stickies aout string tension somewhere. but certain strings do have different charaecteristics so its good to experiment. How long have you had these strings. It probably would be worth changinng

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

The fact that badminton is not recognized as a serious sport in north America.

9. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

In no particular order...

1) The reliance on the opponent to judge line calls in our league matches.
    2) Poor lighting.
    3) People saying equipment is everything/irrelevant. If true I would ask them to play whilst sitting in the middle of the court or play with a steel bar wearing wooden clogs...
    4) Why I can't remember the score after a hard rally (Is this just me??!!)
    5) Why can't I be over 6 feet tall??
    6) More TV coverage at the expense of Darts, Snooker,Crown Green Bowling, Poker, Big Brother, anything Paris Hilton......

#189 klc28, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Sorry for being offtopic everyone
    Had the factory strings for about 3 months now..

11. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I agree the point that some racket might be more comfortable than some other. But, I'll get straight to the point :D:D:D Any racket don't matter IMHO. It's just like getting used to. I used to say certain racket matter. But, yes when all my ISO Graphite racket strings (both) strangely broken in the about same time.

My only option is my Cab8. Which actually using a very cheap string (since I rarely play with it >.<). Several first hits, my power doesn't look like packing any punches. But, sooner I begin to get used to, and rock and roll time xD.

So, my conclusion is, actually you still can't win againts Lin Dan with a Blacken or a Carbonex old version. But, you will lose more points against Lin Dan with his lovely AT700.

What I hate about badminton :
    1. Tired after playing xD... While have to wake up 08.00 in the morning next day :eek:
    2. Bloody Shuttle Cock price -.-, Since I'm pretty consuming xD (I didn't ate them xD, my racket does lol)
    3. And, why did there are no PU grip that's as good as towel :(... (Towel is another consuming thing T_T)

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I would say LD would trash you with any racquet cause he doesnt' need his jump smash or fancy strokes to destroy, just clear and dropshots, and the fastest footwork on earth, and he's set to take out the trash.

13. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    My pet hates

Lack of competitive play. Where I live you only get to play competitively around 4 times a year for my age group. If you want to play more you need to travel interstate. In my old university days we get to play inter club every week. Things seems to be going down hill.
    Also lack of single play. It don't worry me much as I don't play singles but my son does and I don't see how anyone can can improve in singles if you don't get the chance to play it regularly except in training which only happens twice a week which is not the norm where I live. I just happen to be able to arrange for extra training for him.
    The clubs here are so crowded that they cannot allow single plays.

14. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

LACK OF SAME LEVEL PLAY.
    sometimes you have waited along the week, then when it come to play.
    You have to play with someone below your grade/skill.
    Result, not much sweat came out.

#194 h4n5ip, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Yes that happens at our club as well. Its ok if you play one or two match where you are playing below your grade, its only fair to the other players, but it sucks when you get caught playing lower level players the whole night through.:(

16. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Okay... I took the wrong example ~_~... But yep, I think the equipment priority is different for all of us. But, I'd say the best equipment for you (us) is the most comfortable for us.

So, I'd say I'll eliminate the part where any equipment play a part for someone. There are a lot of people I've seen (since I'm still on Elementary and joined a club), who loves to play BAREFOOT (Very very dangerous, don't try this at home fellas xD), Using a broken racket, and being fixed (certain ring for non graphite racket), using leftover string (combination of BG68Ti, NBG95, BG66, BG6, etc) based on the leftover available. And..... Using a PU grip that is so old, that we can no longer see the pattern.

Yet, I can't beat the people I mentioned there, since they're used to those condition. So, I believe this condition of equipment, is based on you. Are used to your equipment?

17. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    I personally hate the fact that people call badminton easy and weak (crude reasoning due to the weight of badminton equipment) and the high cost of stringing a racket at where I play (I think it's $15 for labor alone)

18. SAMUDERAINDIA

SAMUDERAINDIA Regular Member

Finance Manager
    Wahahahah, you know, I played barefoot for several years, and still could beat people with full gear.

I hate the most is I cannot play often enough sigh...

19. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Technically, the only way I can lose any more points to LD is if I drag him to a rubber. Let's just leave it as an impossiblility. :D:D I reckon you really meant I will fare worse if he uses his AT700 instead of an old Cab or Blacken. Your example in fact concludes that rackets do matter at least for LD. :p:p:p

Why is LD always in the picture when we discuss rackets. Most of us do not play LD often enough for it to be a factor over our equipment choice. If I get to play him, I want to get my ass wiped by him playing his best instead of handicapping him with a tennis racket. :cool:

Realistically, I play with regular unranked folks. My choice of equipment matters but only to my enjoyment of the game. Fortunately for me, my choice racket is not the most expensive nor fragile, but it's becoming increasingly rare :(.

Indeed, that's exactly the case.

20. azbad

azbad Regular Member

(1) Have to work when there's a badminton session
    (2) Don't get good and challenging games
    (3) Have to deal with players who love to boast about their skills
    (4) Losing
    (5) Have to partner a player who keeps blaming you for his and your mistakes
    (6) Have to listen to a 'Mr Know It All' player
    (7) Players who claim that they are super good when in actual fact they suck big time!
    (8) Players who string their racquet beyond their capability
    (9) Players who wanna play only with good players
    (10) Players who blame everything and everybody except for themselves