Applying towel grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by shot3gun, Apr 19, 2009.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I'm sure someone mentioned before.

Pre-made towel grips usually come with adhesive backing (quite strong ones too, enough to rip the paint off your racquet) so we like to strip the replacement grip and place hockey tape because it's thin and durable and will keep out the sweat from corroding the wood. It doesn't hurt to wrap the hockey tape a little further up than you would grip it because like I said, the adhesive is usually strong enough to pull off your racquet's paint. (I have some black plastic cones to prove it)

This works for 90% of the people at my club. Some may prefer a layer of overgrip under the tape for a bit more cushioned and soft feeling. Towel is very heavy and effective at altering the balance of your racquet, (may be good or bad depending on how much you like the balance of your racquet) so some people may grip it up to the shaft so that the racquet doesn't feel too headlight, and some may add some grip on the buttcap to make the racquet more headlight.

Hope this helps!

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I think you're refering to sock tape? or stick tape? remember people used stick tape long before sock tape came around.

3. xshadow134x

xshadow134x Regular Member

u ppl know that plastic wrap fits the description, right? ive talked to a coach before, and he said that it's the least expensive and one of the most effective ways. he also mentioned that he used electrical tape to tape the end of the grip instead of the tape provided cause it sticks better and is more durable

4. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

saran wrap? I've never tried that.

Hm, real towel grips from towels.. very intriguing... is the grip good?...absorbency is probably top rate.. this sparks another idea.. anyone know the towels.. that are super absorbent, but are super small and thin? We could always use those as towel grips :) of course, some of us may have to wring them out and hang them out to dry after play :D:D:D

5. xshadow134x

i was serious about the plastic/saran wrap.

6. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    When I did use Towel Grips, I too used Saran Wrap and it works great! I found a greater liking to the Alpha Overgrips though. Saran Wrap is useful however you may have to reapply it every so often.

7. xshadow134x

it's cheap. u buy like 1 roll of saran wrap, cut it so that it's the size like a grip, then wrap it around. and that one roll works for so many times that u need to reapply it

8. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    heh, you could use condems :p

9. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

would it be ideal to put eletrical tape over the factory grip, and then the towel grip?
    would that still affect the factory grip?

10. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

B.U.M.P? :( (15 char)

11. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    When you take the tape off, the factory grip may become a bit messed up and pulled/torn/etc. You probably can't use it as your only grip and would probably have to use an overgrip or towel grip but if you're using electric tape right now, I'm assuming another grip goes over anyways, so this doesn't really pose a problem.

12. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    I use exactly what your suggesting electric tape with towel grip on top.

In my experience electric tape doesnt damage the factory grip at all, the worst i found was it had a little bit off sticky stuff come off the electric tape and go onto the factory grip which was easily rubbed off

13. FlyingGorilla

FlyingGorilla Regular Member

Geospatial Analyst
    Hey guys,
    Just to clarify the general opinion, as some of these are slightly confusing :(. or maybe I'm dumber than i used to be :(...

But when you buy a racket, there is the standard issue leather grip, and then you would place overgrip, or grap, or just plain grip (karakal, Yonex...so forth), good so far?
    For the Towel grip, Did you remove everything down to the wood, then add 'sweat resisting' tape and apply it? Or, leather, 'SR' tape, then towel?
    I've decided to try out towl, but i don't want to ruin it before applying knowwaddamsaying?

14. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Its most effective if you strip everything down to the wood, apply the water resistant tape then add the towel grip.

Also i buy Victor Towel grip rolls from my friend whos Taiwanese. He gets them sent from his uncle. Costs me like $5 per roll and i get about 15 grips out of it. Good quality towel aswell.

15. FlyingGorilla

FlyingGorilla Regular Member

Geospatial Analyst
    And here i just spent 10 bux ordering 4 different colors of 26" Victor cut towel grips...way to rub it in!
    Thanks for the info though!!!
    After a couple swings it does feel right going to the wood instead of leather, seems to fit better in my hand. I think if I went on top of the leather it'd feel like a tennis racket :)

16. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    i remembering seeing an old tread that showed you how to make your own towel grip and i've found it! http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17955
    make a bunch of towel grips for just the price of a large bath towel and some double sided tape! save a lot of $$$ in the long run

17. tenggk

tenggk Regular Member

This is a very good posting on cost cutting. And Wukong did a very good and neat job with the applying of grip. :)

18. chialinho

chialinho Regular Member

worker
    you must be kidding me!:D all towel, i know in oversea they sell really cheap. however, i dont like towel grip anyway.

19. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-

you could make grips out of household sponges too. it may be better because you can ringe out all the sweat between rallies.