England set target to dominate

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by cooler, May 25, 2007.

1. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student

your arguement is valid....and you are not stepping on anyone's tail......but I stay with my point of view...I dun want more threat to our hope....Indonesia lives today because they win in badminton.....right now we are dying....if England becomes another threat then where is our face as a country???

No one would know where is Indonesia...no longer will Indonesia be known as badminton kingdom....me I'd rather Indonesia win in 2 horses race than having to compete with another 31 n being last......Malaysia have hockey, England have football, USA have basketball.......INA only have badminton....so yea

2. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Narrow minded

Dont worry friend! with such long tradision of badminton, I am sure Indonesia will survive even other $$$ rich country start to pump effort into badminton. Just look at brazil, argentina, mexico & africa coutry... they are poor & country is in chaos but they still continue producing excellent player even the best! Just because of the long history of great tradision.

Actually, it is better country like England put more effort into badminton as this will promote badminton in UK thus enhancing the name of countries with good badminton players... like INA, China & msia!

Cheers ;)

3. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    M'sia got hockey? err, we are crap, squash and bowling maybe but hockey got a long way to go. :p. Nothing tops badminton though. hehehehe.

4. kidosetiawan

Student
    well Malaysia have the A1....they are preety good at that....Indonesia only badminton.....still if it is up to me....I would try everything so dat England won't be a force......CHN n MAS is enough trouble for our record in Thomas Cup......I wan INA to maintain most time winners Thomas Cup.........dats wat we are always proud of

5. Lionel

Lionel Regular Member

hei...i dont think that adding england or anything is really going to affect the standard of badminton...come on face it kidosetiawan...i think you really need lessons of real life...you are just like one who is pretending to love your country...if you are really patriotic you should want your country to win the more developed countries...and not just hiding in your shell like a tortoise and telling yourself the whole world is in the shell!!

6. kidosetiawan

Student
    Well lets just wait 10 years and we shall see if England dominates....I hope not......

I hope England stay at their current level or drop........sorry I support England in football (I even support Newcastle as a football team)...so I am not trying to be racist....just the belief I have (if England rise then Indo fall)....so obviously as a good Indonesian.....I'd rather see England fall than Indo.....sorry it seems selfish....but life is selfish

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    c'mon....it's so boring seeing the same country winning in every tournament isn't it? it's so much better seeing players from different countries sharing the titles......it's gonna be boring if indonesia wins everything don't u think?....it's already happened before not long ago with china winning everything now it's getting better....other countries are starting to improve n new players are emerging

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Hi Kido....I think you are getting a kick on this thread seeing that your post generate so much attention...like a therapy kind of thing for you.
    You know even if England injects lotsa funding into this sport and that is good for badminton definitely, England will not pose a treat to CHN, INA, MAS, etc...
    A few millions in funding would barely be enough for Gerrard or David to kick a soccer ball for one game. If England is willing to inject lots of funding, better to buy LCW, LD and CJ (sorry TH is too old) and that would guarantee instant win, now I am just being sarcastic, sorry...hahaha!:D

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Before chase CHN/INA supremacy as bdm giants, yeah the realistic target for ENG is being #1 Euro bdm powerhouse to replace DEN in doubles because quite hard to reach something big in singles as short-term target. Hmm, probably one day All England venue will be back to the famous London's Wembley Arena.

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    All I can say that we need more nations to make this sport more popular...I am glad that England, at least, sets goal for being one of badminton powerhouse...I hope Sweden/Finland/German /France/Spain/Poland/Hungary will do same things...without making it popular......tough to get bigger prize money in future as we need sponsors/TV Coverage....once you have bigger prize money like tennis..trust me.!!!..more players will dedicate himself/herself to badminton as a career....it takes time...but I think it will happen..

I really want everybody to look at broader pictures...pls dont bash or have negative comments about nations who wanted to take badminton to another level...we should applause that approach.....agree ???

11. kidosetiawan

Student
    Well not trying to do negative comments here or bashing England...they do have the right to do all this...is not wrong at all......well I am just hoping that they won't be a threat to INA.......I just don't want them to be any threat to us........cos as a country we'll have nothing if England overtakes us.....

But positivie side is dat now the INA team can start building their team from scartch.........or integrate Djarum with PBSI.....that way it would be hard for England to overtake us

12. Lionel

Lionel Regular Member

i have a feeling you dont love your country at all kido setiawan...you dont care bout the money where it will come from western countries when they start emphasizing on badminton...you want indonesia to be poorer and poorer...how come basketball players are rich and the countries gain a lot from them??because they have international fame and commitment from other countries...other countries especially the western are paying just to watch them play...if only indonesians rule then the only people interested in it will be indonesia..then taufik will be poor...no one to pay him!!the country doesnt gain any money...badminton will soon be wiped out..hope you use some sense and think...by the way you dont have faith towards your country at all...i love malaysia yet i believe even if england set to become better we will train harder and we will be better yet!!that will be two win situation...instead of indonesia winning only at the surface but in long terms actually losing...

13. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Personally, I would very much like England or Denmark to win the THomas/Uber cup. It will be a fresh change and a step to globalizing the sport. Also i think it will give the tridisional power houses a shot in the arm and buck up. That will be soooo cooool:)

By the way it is not just love for the country that is important but love for badminton as a whole too. It is a great chance for badminton to move foreward and become even more popular (not just another backyard activity). SO, go England!!!

*but i still support M'sia ;-p*

#33 dunker, May 28, 2007
    Last edited: May 28, 2007
  14. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    me too...i've always hoped that DEN would beat china and win the thomas cup.....after they beat M'sia in the semis of the last edition i really hoped that they would beat CHN....but....things become boring again

15. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    haha apparently, Thomas Cup has yet to step foot out of Asia or to be exact, MAS, INA and CHN! :D

16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i agree with the-more-the-merrier statements. more participants, more contender for top spots means more popularity and more advancement. let's get badminton out there and well known. for all, not just the dominating asian countries. it will mean more exciting matches, less domination, more money in the sports. and kido, have faith in your countrymen. who to say if and when england break into the top that indonesia will go down. badminton have been indonesia's passion for so long. there will be another taufik, there will be development in indonesia's badminton. have faith that your countrymen will not simply put their racket down and let european country dominate. as will, i strongly believe, malaysian players. if england gets better, malaysian players will get better too. i dream of one day when there will be five different countries winning the five different category in badminton. then it will be so much more exciting. and the win will be all the sweeter. i will forever support malaysia. but i want to see badminton be bigger all over the world.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

God Save the Queen !

Yes, this is good news for England if Christy can get it together. It is not easy but if it works, Asia would suffer. Badminton is not a top sport in England compared to soccer but if enough dollars are spent, there will be interest.

In the next five years, sponsorships for the game will change and it will rise and will attract more players (good ones). It is not right to assume that England cannot bring up good players and be dominant.

Until then, God save the Queen (with all respect).

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Why badminton isn't being furthered. Simple. No one wants to really aspire it as the $$$ returns from it are pretty damn crap. You might as well work at mcdonalds or something for minimal wage and still might make more than pros.

Ex : ROBOT VIETNAM BADMINTON CHALLENGE 2007

Location : Phan Dinh Phung Stadium in Hochiminh City - Vietnam
    Prize Money: US$ 15,000

---

US$15,000... for the ENTIRE tournament..... right....

#38 FEND., May 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  19. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I have to disagree.

How come no one mention about Korea? Badminton in Korea is even less popular than England but they are one of the 5 power house in badminton for a long time. And also consistently producing top players in the world in all 5 categories (they probably has the 2nd strongest Women division after China.)

I believe it is their talent search, coaching system and government support that is making it happen. If England can follow Korea's footstep I think becoming one of the top nation is badminton is very possible in 10 years of time.

Nevertheless, I think this is a positive act to badminton, we should give encouragement to the English people instead of thinking negatively.

;)

20. kidosetiawan

Student
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well looking at this...Indonesia must stop England's target by setting a higher target...Indonesia mut continue to produce good players so England remain where they are now....