Zulfadli Zulkifli

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Dec 18, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A test to see if BAM care for ZZ as a player?

Here is a test to see if BAM care for ZZ as an independent player.

ZZ said he should be given the opportunity to spar with LCW. Will BAM do it? If BAM don't give this opportunity to ZZ, it would be quite clear that BAM is only paying attention in their 'Association/National Interest', not ZZ as a player.

If I were LCW, I would give the opportunity to spar with ZZ, whether BAM agree to it or not; Since LCW has said so many times that he wish to find a good Malaysian MS player to take his place when he retires.

Source: http://www.thesundaily.my/news/202652

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

The Sun Daily
    Posted on 9 November 2011 - 05:04am

WOW! What a successful evening was it for our national junior shuttlers and our ever-green squash superstar, Nicol David.

In Rotterdam, Holland, David created history when she became the first player in the Wispa circuit to become the world champion for the sixth time. It’s a record which we hope will last for a long time. David’s achievement speaks volumes of her commitment and she is definitely the toast of the nation.

While David achieved what she had aimed for, let’s hope that the rare gems we have unearthed in badminton – World Junior single’s champion Zulfadi Zulkifli and double’s champions Heg Wei Keat and Teo Ee Yi are not just a flash in the pan.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) should realise that we have finally found worthy replacements for our badminton supremo, Lee Chong Wei, and our “flip-flop” doubles combination.

The achievements of these players should be seen as the re-emergence of Malaysian badminton supremacy in the world. Please do not forget these players helped Malaysia win the World Junior mixed-team championship just a week ago. We have all the ingredients to become a force to be reckoned with if only we can sustain and polish these rare gems who have suddenly but potentially rocked the world badminton scene.

Let’s hope that the BAM will not squander this young generation of players. We have longed for the Thomas Cup for too long. Keep this bunch of players as a unit. Expose them extensively to world class competitions and voilà, we will have world champions in the making. As suggested by Zulfaldi, although he is with KLRC, he should be given the opportunity to spar with Lee on the local front. What better option than to spar with the world number one?

Most of all, let’s hope the shuttlers’ win will spur them on to greater achievements with the right guidance from BAM. Let’s make sure the wins do not go to their heads, and please, do not spoil them by pampering them at this moment. There are many years ahead of them and they can be aptly rewarded when the time comes. The best is yet to come and hopefully they will break into the senior ranks at the soonest possible time.

Jayaraj KGS
    Perak

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

The article says - "The best is yet to come and hopefully they will break into the senior ranks at the soonest possible time". But I say the best won't come, if BAM is only paying attention to their 'Association/National Interest', and not to players' interest.

#241 chris-ccc, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    BAM is ruled by NCC, Kenny and Nadzmi. So, if what ZZ does that does not benefit the trio's directly, but instead makes KLRC better and BAM bad, who gives a hoot?...:p

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Zulfadli must emulate Nicol’s way to success

• 9 Nov 2011
    • The Star Malaysia
    • RAJES PAUL starspt[@]thestar.com.my

"IT was a proud moment for the country when Zulfadli Zulkifli was crowned junior world badminton champion in Taipei on Sunday.
    He is the first Malaysian to win that singular honour but, more than a record breaking feat, his exploit has opened up a new facet in Malaysian badminton – that an independent player can survive and make it to the top.
    Unlike the others, Zulfadli is neither a product of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) centralised training programme nor the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS), proving that one does not have to be part of the system to be successful in sport. He is not even on National Sports Council (NSC) payroll.
    Zulfadli has many individual sponsors to thank for his meterioc rise. He trained with the Selangor Badminton Association (SBA) before switching to Kuala Lumpur BA in his younger days,
    He then join professional club KLRC in 2007 and that is where his game really took off. He was given plenty of international exposure and a platform to soar for which he will always be grateful.
    This, his breakthrough year, saw him bag the Asian junior title in Lucknow, India, before his crowning glory at the world meet in Taipei. It showed, above all else, that a club player can co-exist with the national body and win honours for the country.
    This partnership, or healthy rivalry if you would have it, should be left alone to thrive in the present ecosystem of the sport for several reasons.
    Not only will it keep the BAM on their toes but it will discourage them from getting too autocratic or complacent. It will certainly make them re-evaluate their singles coaching programme as they will not want to be overshadowed by the clubs. This will work to the benefit of the game.
    Zulfadli’s victory also proves that an independent player can share the burden, mission and vision of the BA of Malaysia. More clubs should be inspired by his win as it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the national association can, and must, co-exist with the clubs to nurture and produce champions.
    China, Denmark and South Korea have a prolific production line of talent because of their dynamic club system which complements the efforts of the national associations.

In a way, the 18-year-old Zulfadli has revolutionised Malaysian badminton - opening up new boundaries and possibilities in the sport.
    The challenge now is not allowing anything to distract him as he takes his game to the highest level.
    He must stay grounded and not let success go to his head. This is not the right time to shower him with showy rewards or turn his head. Zulfadli deserves praise for his achievements but let us not overdo it and spoil him. We have seen what that does to our sportsmen.
    Zulfadli has his father, who is also his coach, to guide him away from the pitfalls of success. But success is a fickle and cruel mistress, who will seduce you with false promises - coddle you one minute and spurn you the next.
    The sponsors will be lining up to cash in on his moment of fame, but Zulfadli must learn to recognise the imposters from the genuine article.
    He has the perfect role model to look up to. On the same day that Zulfadli lived his dream, Malaysia’s squash darling Nicol David gave an astounding show of power to win her sixth world title - underlining her reign as the most successful player in her sport.
    The former world junior champion has not allowed the trappings of successtospoil her. Shehasremained committed and grounded, that is why she is still on top of her game and the world after 11 years as a professional.
    At 28, and having won everything there is to win in squash, Nicol remains hungry for more glory. That is the hallmark of a true, and enduring, champion.
    Zulfadli must emulate Nicol if he is to be a world beater and not fall by the wayside like so many others before him who excelled at junior level only to fail when it mattered.
    Maybe then he can achieve what Nicol never will - an Olympic gold medal, perhaps at the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016."

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is not that difficult to compare Squash with Badminton

It is not that difficult to compare Squash with Badminton.

Both Squash and Badminton are late comers to our racket sports competition (as compared to Tennis).

If Zulfadli can emulate Nicol, then surely he shall be World No.1 one day.

Just hope that ZZ can have the same discipline as Nichol has.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What is National Interest?

What is 'National Interest?'; I ask you Malaysian BCers.

ZZ's father requested BAM to have ZZ to have the opportunity to train with the top seed Lee Chong Wei for twice in a week. Nadzmi Salleh, the BAM president, said that Lee Chong Wei trains according to his own schedule, and that BAM will look into the matter as it is the "National Interest'.

Article: http://blogs.bettor.com/Zulkifli-Si...top-seed-Lee-Chong-Wei-Badminton-news-a110144

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Posted By: Shaun Hector
    Thursday 10-November-2011

Malaysia’s Zulkifli Sidek, the father and coach of the current Junior World Champion, Zulfadli Zulkifli, wants the Badminton Association of Malaysian (BAM) to let his son train with the top seed and World Number One, Lee Chong Wei, at least twice in a week.

Zulfadli has recently won the Men’s Singles crown at the World Junior Championships, which ended up on Sunday, November 6, in Chinese Taipei. He has become the first Malaysian who won the Men’s Singles title in the individual category in the junior world meet.

Sidek, who has been serving as coaching director in the National Sports Council in the past, is quite happy with the terrific performance of his son and wants him to continue his winning run in the arena of elite shuttlers.

He said that Zulfadli has been playing with top shuttlers as their sparring partner and got experience while playing with experienced shuttler at KLRC. It helped him a lot to learn the new skills and become a better player. His participation in international tournaments also helped him to a great extent in becoming a refined shuttler and he has elevated his level of play.

Sidek said, “I am happy to be his personal coach. It is a dream come true seeing him scale the heights and do the nation proud. I am not boasting but I have the necessary credentials and knowledge to take him to the very top.”

Now, Sidek wants the governing body to provide his son with the opportunity to train with the top seed Chong Wei for twice in a week. It will boost his confidence and he will perform better in the international events.

He said, “I hope BAM will let my son train at least twice a week with Chong Wei. Zulfadli will progress a lot faster and the country will surely benefit from this. We can have grand plans but it all depends on Zulfadli. His future is in his hands.”

However, Nadzmi Salleh, the BAM president, said that Chong Wei trains according to his own schedule but the governing body will look into the matter as it is the national interest.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

It looks like BAM is not thinking of MAS future (and of ZZ's future), but maintaining with what they have with their current BAM MS players' structure. :eek::eek::eek:

#245 chris-ccc, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  6. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

it looks to me that nadzmi is just being cautious with LCW

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

You could be right.

But isn't it better to have 2 LCW's instead of just 1 (that is to have ZZ raising his standard/level closer to LCW)?

8. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Whatever ZZ decides, hope it would be a right decision.

To say that I hate BAM is not accurate, disappointed?...hell yes...

Why is it so hard for them to work together with other badminton clubs? They kept mouthing off "national interest" but their acts so far spoke otherwise.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday November 12, 2011
    Badminton: Zulfadli says he knows how to get to the top
    BY K. RAJAN
    KUALA LUMPUR: Newly-crowned world junior badminton champion Zulfadli Zulkifli knows what he needs to do to become a top class player.
    The teenager was awarded US$10,000 (RM31,487) from his sponsors FZ Forza for winning the singles title in the World Junior Championship in Taipei last Sunday.
    FZ Forza’s marketing manager Ryan Loo revealed that the Denmark based badminton product company have actually signed Zulfadli on a three-year contract in October but did not announced it as they did not want to disrupt his preparation for the world meet.
    Zulfadli, who is ranked 207th in the world, said that lack of international tournament is one of the reasons why junior players find it tough at senior level.
    [​IMG] Just reward: Zulfadli Zulkifli receiving a mock cheque from FZ Forza managing director Noorisah Mohamed. Looking on is his family members and Ryan Loo (right), Forza’s marketing manager.
    “I obviously have to train doubly hard to continue my progress in the senior level,” said Zulfadli who also bagged the Asian junior singles title in April.
    “I think the lack of a proper training programme and international tournaments have hindered the progress of the juniors. I hope to get more opportunity to play in international tournaments to improve.”
    The 18-year-old shuttler’s father-cum-coach Zulkifli Sidek said that he has shortlisted 10 to15 tournaments for his son to participate next year.
    “I have identified several tournaments for Zulfadli and hope he can play one tournament per month,” said the former coaching director with the National Sports Council (NSC).
    “I actually prefer Zulfadli playing in international tournaments rather than the leagues in Indonesia, China or Denmark. International tournaments enables you to play with top players and I believe it will be the perfect learning curve for Zulfadli.
    “We had asked permission from BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) to allow world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei to spar with Zulfadli but it was turned down as my son is not in the BAM setup. Now, BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh have said that they are open for discussion on the sparring request.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/11/12/sports/9888900.asp&sec=sports

Ok, whoever asked, now is 110% confirmed Zulfadli is signed with Forza ;)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanks for the article, eaglehelang. :):):)

It's great to hear that Zulfadli is able to find more and more helpers/sponsors; as found in this article: The Star Online > Sports

Now, it is time for BAM to consider if they will be willing to help Zulfadli; when he wishes to remain as an independent player.

If BAM is to insist that no help will be given to Zulfadli, if he decides to remain as an independent player, then we can say that BAM is not really interested in Badminton for Malaysian players; but only interested in whom wanting to be participants playing under the control of BAM.

#250 chris-ccc, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  11. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Frank Sinatra's My Way

BAM singing My Way's song to the ultimate end. In short - It's my way or the high way!

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

it would be HELL's HIGHWAY and ZZ is not idiot enough to take that anyway...

13. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    It's already confirmed that ZZ will stay with KLRC anyway. And ZZ's father said that they confident that they will be fine if BAM wouldn't let ZZ spar with LCW, mentioning an alternative way to ensure ZZ have plenty chances to spar with the best is by competing internationally.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's for BAM's Interest

If BAM won't let LCW to spar with ZZ, then it is clear that BAM is playing politics, and not helping Badminton (for any Malaysian wishing to perform well, with or without BAM).

BAM should say no more about "It's for National Interest", but they should rephrase their words to "It's for BAM's Interest". ;););)

15. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I hope ZZ doesn't burn out too soon. It's easy to underestimate how hard the Datuk works to get to where he is now. He needs to spend a month living with the Datuk to see what the guy eats, what time he wakes up, where he goes, and how he uses his OSIM massage chairs. :)

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    And don't forget that LCW grew up in the BAM system and achieved success, whatever shortcomings BAM might have.

It is asking too much from BAM to help someone outside the BAM system to achieve glory under a different banner and not the BAM banner. They have their own self interest to protect just as ZZ and his dad think they can do a better job outside of BAM.

BAM's main priority is to develop those players under its charge. In other words, preference will be given to the other national singles players to spar with LCW whenever possible.

If ZZ and company want to compete with BAM to see who can do a better job in the end, ZZ and co will have to find their own resources. Don't expect too much from your opponent to help you succeed at your opponent's expense.

17. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I agree with you. However, once they have got LCW, every other player is used as a sparring partner instead of an individual of their own. BAM must not forget that other players have their own careers too. ZZ should stay out of BAM at the moment...

18. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

There will always be a conflict of interest, for as long as BAM is responsible for training players under its banner. In an ideal world, independent private clubs with their own sponsor backing/funding would be competing with each other for places in the national squad. BAM would just be faciliating that process, or at most be responsbile for national team events like the Thomas/Sudirman cup and Olympics/WC. As the Super Series gains more and more prominence the responsibility of coaching and also participation in Super Series events should be devolved to the clubs and their sponsors. One needs BAM because living off from the proceeds of Super Series tournament money isn't a reality just yet.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The lack of resources of most private clubs makes it difficult to achieve the ideal. We are talking in terms of not only financial resources but also of human resources, particularly on the coaching team and sports science specialists. How many first class badminton coaches and supporting staff can one find in a single country, perhaps apart from China?

Yes, when that day comes, BAM can then take on a different role as suggested.

#259 Loh, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  20. HangPC2

HangPC2 Regular Member

Press Conference for the World Junior Champion 2011, Zulfadli Zulkifli.

Attached Files: