most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. visor

visor Regular Member

it depends on the level of play i suppose... at higher levels, the serve (after so much effort to win a point) is the most important shot you can control

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I've been playing this game for about two decades so I'd like to think that I am better than average. I think I read somewhere that a serve in badminton is not as important as a serve for tennis. I created a thread asking what are the practical advantage of serving with either backhand or forehand, but no one was able to tell me. I don't mind changing for the better. I have always considered myself a student of the game and I believe that there's always room for improvement.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The FH serve travels a longer distance to the net, leaving more time for your opponent to react. Also, the BH serve can be varied easier (serving all 4 front positions without obvious/any tells). Generally speaking, BH serves are a lot tighter. Some guys in my club used to or still serve forehand, and their short serves are not as tight as most BH serves. The only apparent advantage of a FH serve is that even with a weak wrist/finger action you'll still be able to send it long without too much of a swing...

4. speedyambarish

speedyambarish Regular Member

These too, I think they count as jumps :D

[video=youtube;CzZKq17ydJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZKq17ydJI[/video]
    [video=youtube;8m2JDsT5Ubc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2JDsT5Ubc[/video]

#644 speedyambarish, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

lol! I'm the only guy that does the FH serve with my group. I should really start practicing my BH serve in my spare time.

6. Henzy

Henzy Regular Member

Quality Coordinator
    >< :rolleyes:

7. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

I'd say the return shot of this is DE most difficult shot (nigh impossible like you said). Can't do clear unless catching it real early and not getting thrown off by tape hitting; can't do cross court net because it gives opponent too much time to response with net kill; and the only possible reply is another tight hitting-tape-then-drop straight net shot.

8. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Depending on the phrase of the moon, my number of short serve errors may be anything from 0 to 5+ in one game. Of course, on extremely bad days, it may be 0 as well, because I never get to serve :D

9. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

How about quadruple motion? :D Say you hold the racket up flat to pretend a net shot to draw opponent to the net, then suddenly drop the racket (double motion) to prepare a lift; if the opponent doesn't come to the net, then you keep the lowered racket down (triple motion) to continue with a straight net; if the opponent's coming-to-net reaction is slow or your detection of such reaction is slow, that is, he comes to the net after you hold down the racket and just before you lightly bounce a net, you lower the racket even more to do the final lift (quadruple motion). Ok maybe impractical but at least it'd be fun to think about :)

10. i800Yoty

i800Yoty Regular Member

Forget confusing your opponent with that, I'd confuse myself with that one! :p

11. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    for me my most difficult type to master is the crosscourt net and im tyring my best to possibly beat myself to do the drop shot....
    happy smashing everyone!!!

12. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    The first you mentioned in this case, has already been performed! It is done by no other than Lin Dan. As for the 2nd case, I have no idea what you are talking about :D. Care to put up a vid?

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    becoming like shaolin kungfu panda eh..? lol. ;)

14. popopi0102

popopi0102 Regular Member

IT in Intel
    Tried with my cousin,
    1st sharp low net drop, follow by smash. works only twice... :p then no more half court clear from him.

15. asurada

asurada Regular Member

wheres the serve?

16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Net tight shot difficult to master, i think even advance players also can't every net shot is tight .

17. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

For me, I can't seem to get the hang of the reverse FH slice or the reverse BH slice (drops of course). I can do them at times, but most of the time there just isn't enough "slice" on it so the shot doesn't have the speed or trajectory needed for it to be a "dangerous" shot for the opponent.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, the reverse BH slice is not really a shot you need - while it's nice if you're able to do one, if you have the time and position to play one you could usually play a forehand as well. Similar to the BH smash in that regard.
    I agree that a good reverse slice dropshot is not an easy shot to master, though! I like to play with deception overhead as I'm not the most powerful hitter, and that shot is most definitely harder (both technically and to play in a deceptive manner) than the 'normal' slice (which I find easy to disguise as a straight smash).
    For me, the current nemesis is the overhead backhand in general as I don't use my reach when I play one, letting the shuttle drop too far and playing it with my arm angled. Smash is on the list as well for similar reasons (that, and I don't like not being able to finish the rally instantly when I get a lift :D).

19. T-J-P

T-J-P New Member

Student
    In singles I would argue a consistent clear baseline to baseline whereas in doubles I would be more inclined to argue the smash...

20. Takks

Takks Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Anything that has "Backhand" in it :(