Yonex ArcSaber 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Arcade Sports in Southport, Lancs. I should add that my teacher/coach friend is VERY tight with the owner and we send him a lot of business, so you wouldn't get THAT price, but it's worth getting it from there just to talk to Alan - he has just come back from stringing for the Koreans at the AE and lives and breathes badders (oh, and his two sons are both coaches:)).

2. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Just place my order for another 3UG4 Arc Saber 10 from Classic Sports today. Will be strung with BG66Sharp at 28 x 28LBS, 2 knots.

Until today, I still maintain that it is really a masterpiece!!

Thanks.

3. szekt

szekt Regular Member

I had my Arc10 strung with BG 66 at 22lbs; am thinking of trying either NGY 95 or 98; what would be the equivalent tension to string it with? Thanks.:)

4. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    What is your preferred tension?

My tension with NGY98 is still 28 x 28LBS.

Thanks.

5. szekt

szekt Regular Member

I am trying 22lbs now with BG 66 and it seems all right; just wondering if there is an equivalent tension with NGY 98 or 95; for example, for BG 85, it is normally recommended to string it at 2 lbs lower cf to BG 66 right?:D

6. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Personally, I don't like BG85.

My preferred string are BG66, BG66Sharp and NGY98.

On the Arc Saber 10, you can add 2LBS above your normal preferred tension without any problems.

To generate power from any strokes, it is more than just a branded racket. One will have to improve his/her physique and stamina. You may have to observe which of those muscles is in-charge of generating the power. You have to build enough of such mucles within your body to generate power.... such power is then transferred through the racket strokes...

Just my 0.01 cent.

Thanks.

7. angelwingzx

angelwingzx Regular Member

i had my arc 10 restrung the other day @ 26 lbs with bb66

snapped within two games. i only missed once ='(...

Any suggestions w/ other strings and tension?

8. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    At which part of the string bed did it break?

Thanks.

9. angelwingzx

angelwingzx Regular Member

Just a little bit above the sweet spot/ center of the racquet.
    But i realized now that i probably made a retarded mistake...
    It was at school and they only had plastic birdies.

10. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    For plastic birdies, BG85...

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have not bought any new Yonex racket for ages. for all the years, i have been buying up cabs. last time i bought a non-cab Yonex was 2003. yes. it has been that long. i skipped all the AT/NS generations. (it is not like i have never tried them, just that i never owned one)

but recently, i went and bought myself a ARC10 to see what the hype is about.

and i was pleasantly surprised.

i have a ARC10, 3UG4 SP. strung with BG80 @ 24lbs on a constant pull. which is actually quite high a tension in comparison to what most people use. i wrapped the grip with a layer of Wilson Xtra grip.

the paint job to me was OK. i don't particularly love nor do i hate the flashy red color. the overgrip i used was black so that reduce the flashiness a little.

upon holding it i find that the racket is really quite nicely balanced. not particularly head heavy, nor head light. the balance is one of the strong point of the racket.

the feel of the racket is excellent, vibration is neither too damped, nor is it too excessive, it give a nice precise feedback to the player. the shaft is another strong point of the racket, it is medium stiff only but the material used was very lively. many poorly designed racket has a overly dull response, this one actually feel good. a fast swing will be rewarded with a quick snap and rebounces on the shuttle.

power is not the strongest point of the ARC10, the medium stiff racket don't reward the heaviest smasher but ones who like to have medium smash power with good placement control.

overall, i had fun with the ARC10 and might be using it more in the future.

12. atingd

atingd Regular Member

So personally you would go for arc10 to ns9900?

13. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    I don't think he has enough experience to make such a suggestion. As he said, this is the first new racket he's purchased since 2003 that is from Yonex. Thus, he definitely hasn't tried the NS9900, having also skipped all previous NS models.

14. atingd

atingd Regular Member

Ah whether or not he has or hasn't tried the NS9900 we can't be sure, but yes I agree with you, he has definitely never owned the NS9900, or any other newer racquets for that matter.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i have played with many of them briefly. but never really owned any of them for a duration of time.

the decision on the 9900 was partly due to the lukewarm review we have here in BC.

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Wow Kwun, I'm surprised you actually foot the bill for a non-cab!!!
    Especially after all the mp100 debacle & mass Carbonex spending spree back then :D

JKJK

Glad to hear the arc10 is working out well...
    I am tempted to try the NS9900

I had tried the AT series range 900P/T, 800OF/DF, 700
    They were OK to me, but nothing spectacular...

I did however really enjoy the NS9000X though, and 7700 (for a different feel) and stuck with the NS series, and some of my old cab racquets since... but I have got the itch again after reading your experiences with Arc10...:eek:

17. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    what page is the review on 0_o

18. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  19. trickflick

trickflick Regular Member

HS
    hmmm
    the review is very different from dink's review
    personal preference maybe?

20. AceSpade

AceSpade Regular Member

They sure weren't kidding when they labeled the ARC10 as an ADVANCED racket. Having consider myself as an INTERMEDIATE RECREATIONAL player with 5 yrs experience, I thought I too could wield the power of the saber.. boy was I wrong.

Initial impression was that it hits like a brick, way too stiff and heavy. Granted after a few games I got 75% of my power back, this racket still needs some time for me to get used to. Funny I only bought this baby after trying out someone else's Arc10, theirs felt light and effortless to hit & I instantly fell in love with it... Perhaps I tried a FAKE??? Such irony...

Here's my racket history (comparisons):

0) $15 Wilson Titanium 105g lol - played excellent.

1) $70 EBAY-FakeSaber10 Gift (BG65@24lbs)- Looked just like the real thing (in retrospect i thought the paint job was even better than my real arc10), played ok for about a year until it broke

2) $25 HL Flexible Graphite Loaner (factory@18) - funny I felt I gained 110% Superpower with this thing, my smashes were KILLING everything & everyone in sight.

3) $200 real ARC10, 3UG4 (BG65 @ 22x24lbs) - playing like a half crippled handicap.

At this point I am wondering what's the point of a stiff $200 racket if I could achieve way better results with a flexible rubber-band $25 generic. Only time will tell I suppose... I just hope I manage to unleash the racket's power before it gives me a broken wrist lol.

Tips? Advice?