How could 13 year old girl hitting clear consistently.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by agdwh, Mar 1, 2014.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lol I am well aware of shuttle seed testing.

I will try again, basically you think yonex as-30's are this:
    "It's the "gold" standard in speed, if you do the speed test properly. Instead, I should say the other brands are not of the right speeds (i.e. too slow)."
    I am telling you that this is completely false, untrue, not an ounce of truth, complete nonsense.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    have you seen this video?

[video=youtube;HNVC5PVJyPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ[/video]

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Overhead clears are not only basic warm-up shots, they are also good to improve your consistency and stamina. 30 yrs ago we used to have at least "clears only" warm up for at least 15 mins for our singles in highschool team practice.

4. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

I would say you are not using forearm pronation correctly, Using it proper you should be able to play a clear baseline to baseline with ease, watch the video posted above, it's probably the best explaination you'll get from overhead shots, I know my game improved significantly when I started to use pronation

5. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    My point, within the context of this thread, is this - a lot of club players use shuttles of incorrect speeds. They think they know how to test shuttle speed, but actually they don't. Incorrect shuttle speed could contribute to OP's difficulty in clearing full length, in addition to other factors I mentioned.

Not all speed 77 shuttles of different brands fly the same speed, even in the same gym, at about the same time, hit by same people. This is my personal experience, and that is also what Paul Stewart talks about.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Look I am sure you mean well but your apparent point was drowned in false information. This forum is a reference for many players some beginners, so I think try not to lead them down the garden path.

Just to clarify Paul Stewart is pretty clued up and although I have not read every piece of material he has wrote, I can almost assure you he has never ever wrote anything to the tune of as-30's are the gold standard in speed(crazy idea) and all other shuttles are not the right speeds.
    Any good brand of any shuttle when speed tested will have at least one of their speed category that would fit the conditions and be within the laws for badminton.

7. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Have you ever pay a coach teaching you?

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    In hindsight, my statement might have gone over-board, though I didn't mean it (and you notice I used double-quote around "gold", don't you?). Wasn't careful enough to catch its implication, and some people allergic to it.. I'm sure there are other good shuttles than AS-30, and that you're right Paul didn't say AS30 is the gold standard.

Let's get back to the main thread.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The way the OP framed the question, I assumed they were on the same courts and assumed same shuttles. But yes, different shuttle speed or different brand are possibilities. But would the OP have asked that question if he is able to clear full length in other courts?

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Interesting. Same post, you and I saw two different pictures. Maybe OP can come out and confirm the situation.
    On the other hand, I often notice adults in awe watching juniors training. These adults may not be able to do full length clears, and are amazed the young juniors can. BTW, in case this discussion goes one-sided again, please note that I'm not "blaming" all on the shuttle speeds (or rather incorrect shuttle speeds). Please review my first post on this thread on all factors.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Not having read that thread, if the coach had to correct his grip, that means he was most likely pan handling and not pronating.

In this day and age of YouTube and slow mo videos of pro players, why is it so difficult for anyone to just go search and watch how badminton is really played... both technically and tactically. [​IMG]

13. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    Well it isn't hard to find 8 years old girls play baseline to baseline clears. It is not about the strength but how well u execute the skill. Sweetspot, body coordination, right shuttle racket contact.

There are 13,14,15 years old playing in the world junior championships.

14. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

Anybody know where I can find good quality slow motion videos of Ratchanok's overhead shots?

15. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

you'd be surprised How Strong these players are lol. Even at the age of 12-13 even younger.. there forearms dont do justice to their strength. (Stupid thing to do) but you could stand side by side and do full power smashes (in the air) and see how long it takes you - appose to them to get tired. I bet you will tire out first (i dont mean that in an offensive way). They have incredible strength in the necessary areas of their arm, not to mention impecable technique.

16. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

^ In addition Im 6foot1 and the no.1 player in AUS under 19s (aged 15 atm) Can smash a lot faster than me. I would not doubt one bit that whilst maybe in an arm wrestle she would lose, but in something specifically using the muscles trained in badminton (and only them) such as smashing along side them as said above^ I would definately lose to this individual :p

17. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

i've got you beat. i successfully repeatedly lost to girls half that age. on a half court. in front of other coachees. and a big crowd. :(

there was a period (read my 1st response) when i was ashamed to invite my friends over to watch me play because these kids repeatedly did much harm to my reputation, dignity and self-esteem. so i say that all is fair in badminton, my friend. as kwun said, there come situations when a grown man's just gotta win, haha!

NICE! ;) :p
    conveniently, that's where 1st line ends.. you did it purposefully, didn't you?? lol jk.