Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think the warning letter was deserved as what LCW said was tantamount to instigating a mass mutiny!
    LCW let it be known that he wanted BAM to look into the appointment of Tan Aik Mong as a person to be put in charge of coaches/players. Is he challenging BAM on Tan Aik Mong's appointment as the supremo? He should be mindful of his own stature that could spark a regime change even before it has started! Now, some unhappy coaches and players may be plotting.
    Also that silly NSC head talks rubbish about things that makes no sense. Is he behind the new BAM management or against it? Anyway, it is none of his business.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Your wish is my command :

Courtesy of The Star :

Chong Wei to get warning letter

KUALA LUMPUR: A directive has gone out for world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei to be given a warning letter for standing up for his former coach Rashid Sidek.

But it did nothing to dampen his spirit as the defending champion and top seed marched into the semi-finals of the Japan Open on Friday in super style by beating unheralded Jun Takemura 21-10, 21-11 in 32 minutes.

On Saturday, he will take on World Championships bronze medallist Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam for a place in the final. The other semi-final match will be between China’s Gao Huan and Japan’s Kenichi Tago.

On Thursday, Chong Wei had expressed his shock over the resignation of Rashid as the national singles coach.

Rashid said that he could no longer tolerate working in the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) national set-up under the charge of Talent Management Group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong because he felt all coaches were treated as second class citizens.

Chong Wei felt that the BAM’s management should look into the matter – especially on the appointment of the person in charge of coaches and players.

It is a surprise that the BAM are planning to penalise him for speaking up – after all, the new management had appointed him as one of the members of the assessors unit headed by Razif Sidek.

As a member, Chong Wei, who has more than a decade of experience as a player, has been given the right to assess and give his opinion about coaches.

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    BAM refute Rashid’s claimsports247.myBAM General Manager and Service Support Group (SSG) head Kenny Goh (extreme left) watching president Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff address the media at the press conference yesterday. BAM general manager and Service Support Group (SSG) head Kenny Goh (extreme left) watching president Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff address the media at the press conference yesterday. THERE is a new twist in the tale. Following former national men singles coach Rashid Sidek’s*claim *yesterday that the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) knew of his IBL contract signing, the governing body swiftly moved to deny the allegation today. BAM general manager Kenny Goh in a statement released to the media said: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) would like to clarify and strongly deny the claim by national coach, Haji Abdul Rashid Bin Haji Sidek, that BAM were aware of the signing of contractual agreement with the organisers of the Indian Badminton League (IBL). There is no truth to the claim and in actual fact BAM are unaware of the existence of such a contract and had never given Rashid the consent to sign one. Y.Bhg. Dato’ Sri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, BAM’s former president (and the current Honorary President), also categorically refutes the former coach’s claim and highlighted this matter was never brought up in any of the council meetings and thus, was not approved. As the general manager of BAM, I was not made aware of his contractual signing with IBL (which I would not have allowed as this would constitute a breach of our contract with Rashid). We only became aware of this article which was presented during the press conference held in Stadium Juara on Sept 20.Print Friendly *****- See more at: http://www.sports247.my/2013/09/bam-refute-rashids-claim/#sthash.b6ZNXhcM.dpuf

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    kenny G sound stupid.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Looks like the new management of BAM did their homework before coming to press conference huh?:D..digging out article about RS signing deal with Delhi Smashers some more. The new management of BAM surely looked strict and meant business(refer to video below)...:D
    Regarding LCW to get a warning letter from BAM, I personally think it is ridiculous. Does that mean that players do not have the right to speak up? Come on, give the players a break. I do not see anything wrong for LCW to speak up for his coach though.

[video=youtube;SGiOto0S-XQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGiOto0S-XQ[/video]

7. george@chongwei

[h=2]HARD-HITTING: Rashid alleges Aik Mong has downgraded his contributions to Malaysia[/h] RASHID Sidek didn't hold back yesterday after severing ties with the BA of Malaysia (BAM) as he accused talent management group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong of downgrading his contribution to the national team for the last 10 years.
    Rashid, who served a one-month notice of his resignation as a national coach, said Aik Mong has not only been criticising him but also other coaches and the decision to promote several inexperienced coaches from Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) to the senior squad also didn't go down well with the others.
    The fact that Tey Seu Bock and Rashid were not allowed to accompany Lee Chong Wei to the ongoing Japan Open is another reason why the 1996 Olympics bronze medallist decided to resign.
    Under BAM's new structure, Rashid was to coach Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng and Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin while Chong Wei, Goh Soon Huat and Loh Wei Sheng were placed under Seu Bock.
    BJSS coach Zhao Kejian was promoted to the senior squad with Tan Kian Meng and Chong Yee Han his responsibility.
    Rashid also doesn't have a good relationship with his elder brother Razif, who is in charge of the senior squad, and this, too, may have contributed to his decision.
    "If we are not headed in the same direction, there is no need to wait for long before coming to this decision.
    "Aik Mong has been downgrading us (coaches) and our contribution was not recognised at all," said Rashid.
    "For Aik Mong, all coaches are the same -- including the inexperienced ones at BJSS -- and a number of them were promoted to the senior squad.
    "He was overly critical about us and made us feel that we don't even know how to coach.
    "Aik Mong is always saying he was the World No 3 and was never prepared to listen to our feedback.
    "He even went to the extent of saying the current coaches don't deserve high salaries.
    "I have also contributed a lot as a player to Malaysia and it really hurts being treated like this after serving the national team as a player and a coach for more than two decades.
    "Although I haven't decided on my future plans, I have taken this move so that BAM will be more tactful in handling the coaches and also listen to them before making decisions."
    Among the BJSS coaches who have been promoted to the senior squad are Chang Kim Wai (men's doubles), Ronny Augustinus and Ng Mee Fen (women's singles) and Wong Pei Tty (women's doubles) while Wong Tat Meng and Rosman Razak are the senior coaches who will handle the men's singles and men's doubles of the back-up squad.
    Aik Mong said: "I acknowledge receipt of the resignation letter from Rashid.
    "We have mutually agreed to accept his resignation and will explain further in a press conference at the BAM office tomorrow (today)," he said.
    Aik Mong's delay in officially announcing the national set-up could spark more trouble as several other coaches are also considering their futures with BAM.
    Seu Bock is said to be contemplating resigning while Hendrawan, head of the back-up squad, could also consider leaving BAM if the uncertainty in the national team continues.
    [​IMG]

Read more: Unloved and unappreciated - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmin...malaysia?page=0/7.205416?page=0#ixzz2fWiH3pW0

According to this article from NST, it looked like Rashid had met face to face and discuss things with Tengku Mahaleel but in the video above this post, TM pointed out that they don't even speak face to face among themselves. So what on earth is happening? WAR is happening in BAM?:p

8. george@chongwei

You liar!

By FABIAN PETER
    * Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff slams Rashid Sidek
    * Claims he is in breach of contract
    * BAM to consider suing former coach
    * Action since as a warning to others
    [​IMG]DON’T MESS WITH US: (From left) Talent Management Group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong, BAM president Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff, BAM assistant secretary Mohd Shah Hashim and Service Support Group (SSG) head Kenny Goh at today’s Press Conference. Picture by 1titan

BADMINTON ASSOCIATION OF MALAYSIA’S (BAM) president Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff slammed singles coach Rashid Sidek, claiming the Atlanta Olympic bronze medallist lied about his reasons for quitting the association.
    Tengku Mahaleel who flew in from Kelantan to meet the media following Rashid’s resignation yesterday, said: “Rashid claims he is resigning because he can’t work with the new management.
    “We have found an article from India dated July 19 which states Rashid has signed a one-year contract with Dehli Smashers.
    “If this is true, then Rashid is in breach of contract. By law, you cannot have two contracts. How can you have a contract with us and sign with someone else?”
    Tengku Mahaleel, who was joined by Talent Management Group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong, Service Support Group (SSG) head Kenny Goh and assistant secretary Mohd Shah Hashim added: “In law, a breach of contract, will have severe consequences.”
    Rashid, who handed in his resignation letter yesterday, has a contract with BAM that last till next December.
    There will be a meeting tomorrow at BAM among selected committee members with legal background, looking into this matter, before coming up with any recommendations.
    It is believed, they will also investigate allegations more coaches will be quitting soon.

- See more at: http://www.sports247.my/2013/09/you-liar/#sthash.zE2Lz1CH.dpuf
    Meanwhile, the author of this article must have been fed up with something with a straightforward article title:D..

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    This group of people mean business... After many years of honeymoon... Many coaches find it difficult to live in harsh conditions.

Rashid should have shut up and move on, the more he talks the more shits come out. He said people don't appreciate his contribution as players and coach... What is he thinking? BAM is his retire funds ??

Gosh... I hope datuklee don't call up the woman sitting beside him during his wedding and sob wanting his coaches back..

#1609 SibugiChai, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    can rashid sidek figurely state out his contribution?:D:D:D
    failed project london 2012 with started on 2005?:D:D:D

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

FORMER singles head coach Rashid Sidek is ready to take on the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) after they accused him of being a liar.
    An angry Rashid, who was named coach of the year for 2012 by the National Sports Council, said he will never return to BAM, especially after being labelled a deceiver.
    The 1996 Atlanta Olympic bronze medallist, who quit BAM yesterday, as “he couldn’t work with the new management”, was accused by BAM president Tan Sri Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff of lying about the reason for his resignation, and accused Rashid of signing a one-year contract with Indian club Delhi Smashers.
    BAM have not accepted his resignation and Tengku Mahaleel has not ruled out legal action against Rashid for “breach of contract”.
    “They (BAM) can do what they want. I have stated clearly I am resigning because I can’t work with the new management.
    “If they can find someone who is willing to follow their methodology, then please by all means hire him. I can’t work with them, that’s why I’m leaving,” Rashid told Sports247.my.
    When asked about his “contract” with Delhi Smashers, Rashid, who has been with BAM since 2003, explained: “I signed with them for the IBL (Indian Badminton League) in June.

“I only signed for the tournament period (two weeks). It was during our free time, and the previous management knew and approved the deal. -

“I was not the only coach and several of our national players also played in the league.

“If they (BAM) wanted to take action, then they should have done so when I and the rest of the Malaysians returned home.”

Besides Rashid, Tey Seu Bock also coached in the IBL with Mumbai Masters, who had No. 1 Datuk Lee Chong Wei as a player. - Rashid, Tey Seu Bock also coached in the IBL with Mumbai Masters, who had No. 1 Datuk Lee Chong Wei as a player.
    The other Malaysians who played in the IBL were Goh V Shem and Lim Khim Wah (Hyderabad Hotshots), Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong (Delhi Smashers), Tan Wee Kiong (Pune Pistons) and Chong Wei Feng (Awadhe Warriors).
    The question now is, will they also face legal action? - See more at: http://www.sports247.my/2013/09/rashid-get-your-facts-right-bam/#sthash.DD56ZUxX.dpuf

- See more at: http://www.sports247.my/2013/09/rashid-get-your-facts-right-bam/#sthash.DD56ZUxX.dpuf

#1611 eaglehelang, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Kenny Goh has a problem. How can so many players and coaches leave for the IBL without the management knowing...?

13. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Maybe LCW's outspokenness is a prelude to him becoming an independent
    player.
    I am sure he is mad about the warning letter and the Japan Open
    may be his last title with BAM.

14. forest

forest Regular Member

Engineer
    I think what TAM did is absolutely right. He has promoted many coaches from BJSS because these coaches did a good job and have produced many world class junior players and only been screwed up by senior coaches (Rashid, Tan KH etc). Rashid has failed the project London 2012, and now he wanted to stictto LCW to get visibility. TAM knew this !

15. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    My comments here refer mainly to the Star Online article about Rashid Sidek’s resignation from BAM which link was provided by mb111 in Post # 1551 in this thread and other recent news about the spat between RS and BAM’s new administration.

The article states that “Since Tengku Mahaleel gave full authority to his Talent Management Group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong to manage the coaches and players, there has been a major shake-up which has not gone down too well with the coaches.” Oh yeah? I would bet that the Bukit Jalil Sports School coaches who were promoted are delighted. Besides them, I am quite sure there are also others at BAM who are pleased with the shake-up. So if RS and a few others who were comfortable under the old administration are not pleased with the changes, it does not mean the changes have not gone down too well with the coaches. It just means it has not gone down well with RS and those aligned with him.

The article further states that “Some of the changes that have caused uneasiness are the formation of two main groups in the national team, the demotion and promotion of coaches, the introduction of ranking tournaments and a freeze on tournaments for some players.” Out of the four changes cited, I only see one, which is the introduction of ranking tournaments, which apparently did not exist under the old administration. Weren’t the players categorized as “elite”, “back-up”, etc. under Tengku Mahaleel’s predecessor’s tenure? Weren’t coaches demoted and promoted? Yap Kim Hock comes to mind as one who was promoted and then demoted. What about Rexy Mainaky? I definitely remember that some players who did not perform up to the expectations of the former administration had their participation in subsequent tournaments withdrawn.

So what gives, RS? RS was with BAM for the last ten years as a coach and the former president was there for the last thirteen years. He says he cannot work under the new administration due to their supposed meddling in coaching affairs. Didn’t he know what happened with his brother Misbun Sidek? Didn’t he know about Rexy Mainaky? Li Mao? Should I name more? Perhaps he meant to say that he cannot work under the new administration because it will not allow him to continue his merry unproductive ways and collect a generous compensation package while not improving Malaysian badminton?

I am sorry, maybe I am biased but I cannot give RS or Tey Seu Bock credit for Lee Chong Wei’s winning ways. I attribute LCW’s talent and skills to the coach ( I do not recall his name) he had as a child, Li Mao, Misbun Sidek and perhaps one or two more who slip my mind at the moment. I have been keenly following LCW’s progress the past six or more years, and especially so when MS became his coach. I could see his steady improvement under MS. Even though he was still losing to Lin Dan, LCW was slowly getting more victories against LD. I firmly believe that had MS not left, LCW’s win-loss record against LD would have continued to steadily improve, even if LCW may not achieve a winning record against his nemesis.

LCW was already winning most tournaments he participated in while under MS’s guidance. He lacked the World championship and an Olympic gold medal. RS and TSB have not elevated him to World or Olympic glory. In other words, LCW has “stagnated”. He lost to LD who had not played in like eight months. Thanks to RS too who had to antagonize LD and provide further motivation to LD when RS said LD would regret playing in the recently concluded World championships which he won because he had to make RS regret saying those words. :)

So the issue then is, has RS advanced Malaysian badminton in his ten-year tenure as a coach at BAM? He quits now claiming he is not appreciated and is unable to continue due to the meddling of the new administration. If RS had improved Malaysian badminton, or more specifically Malaysian singles badminton over the past ten years, then perhaps his reasons for leaving would not be so laughable. If Malaysian badminton fans can honestly say that Malaysian badminton (besides LCW) shined brightly under RS, then his claims would have more credibility.

The general consensus is that Malaysian badminton is in dire straits, and that once LCW retires, Malaysia will be a dwarf in the badminton world. In fact it is this sentiment that has brought about the change in the administration at BAM. It is hoped that new leadership would steer Malaysia on a victorious path again.

With this in mind, I do not understand how RS and his thus far unnamed cohorts can come out so strongly against the changes implemented by the new BAM administration. If this band of coaches think they have been effective as coaches, I ask them - where’s the beef? It is not as if RS is in a similar position as Park Joo Bong who almost single-handedly brought Japan out of badminton obscurity. So if RS and company are such good coaches, then the reason why Malaysian badminton has lost much of its awe and respectability in the badminton world is that the former administration hindered their stupendous coaching efforts, effectively negating all positives they as coaches brought to Malaysian badminton.

On the other hand, if the previous administration was good, then it logically means that the coaches were not good since Malaysian badminton declined. If the new administration is bad according to RS and company, then the old administration must have been great because RS was able to work under the old administration for ten years. So if the old administration was great, then it must have been the coaches who were at fault for the decline of Malaysian badminton.

While I applauded certain of the new administration’s changes in Post # 1542 of this thread, I reserved judgment until more time has passed and we can see how the implementation phase comes along. People generally do not like change and are comfortable with the status quo. Egos will be bruised, tempers will flare and feelings will be hurt and the new administration should be mindful of this. It does not mean the new administration should back down but just be tactful but firm and accept the fact that no matter how delicately you try to handle a matter, there will be unhappy people.

I have not been in favor of management meddling in a coach’s job and I think this is why Misbun Sidek left in 2011. I had been critical of the old administration and management’s meddling in coaching. Therefore, while I support the changes by the new administration, I am concerned about the level of participation of management in the coaching aspects. The latter part of the Star Online article bothers me if it is true. “We were given instructions and we are expected to follow without any questions asked”, “I cannot spar with the players and all I need to do is stand outside the court and point my finger here and there and give instructions to players.” For now, I give the benefit of the doubt to the new administration as this may just be an angry RS sounding off. I do believe that coaches may, if the administration deems necessary for the betterment of the badminton program, be shuffled around and promoted or demoted. But they should then be left to coach to their best abilities without or with minimum interference from management.

The previous administration was in place for thirteen years and one of the main criticism of it was that persons who knew nothing or little about badminton held high positions and interfered with the coaches. I hope this administration does not make the same mistake.

Finally, I hope higher-ups such as the National Sports Council or the Sports Ministry will not interfere in this spat, tempting though it might be. Malaysian badminton needed a change and we got a change. Let BAM handle this. The new administration was voted in so let it do its work, just as I hope the new administration will let the coaches do their work with minimum or no interference once all the shuffling has been accomplished. Everyone deserves a chance to do the work they were appointed to do and this new administration deserves that chance, despite the threat of an en masse exodus of coaches. It might even end up as a blessing in disguise, freeing up funds that may be used more effectively to bring badminton up again in Malaysia.

Finally, and I am sorry I had to throw this in - consider bringing back Misbun Sidek. :)

16. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Squash have multiple world champion Nicol David - the LD of squash - perhaps
    the BAM management and coaches can learn something from these amazing
    people in the Squash federation.
    They quietly do their job without much tantrum of funfare.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If that is what LCW feels, then he can leave. Nobody is indispensable. Either he is blind to not seeing the rot in the system and the bleak future facing Malaysian badminton or he is such a spoiled child that wants all the goodies/attention go his way and pittance go to his teammates, and in cohort with Rashid.
    LCW may be gifted and a baddy child prodigy, he should remember that BAM putting all their resources in him, at the expense of his teammates, that he got to play so many SS to a point it was mentioned that he played too many of them to risk injury. How many SS or gold did his other teammates got to play e.g. TCS, CKB, etc.? And we expect them to become world beaters?
    For RM20M annual budget, LCW and KKK/TBH played the lion share of international baddy, you better be good if you played so many times against the INA, DEN and CHN boys. If TAM/Tengku did not get to run BAM, I fret the fate of the 2 juniors under the previous BAM groupie's and Rashid's control, would they be another TCS? Another wasted talents? Probably.
    LCW may be a great baddy player, I shudder to think what a politician he would be on his reaction to the press on Rashid quiting. He should have keep his thoughts quiet and dealt with TAM/Tengku in private assuming he is really foolish not to see what the heck is going on.
    Rashid quit is the best thing to happen as BAM heads to rebuilding Malaysian badminton. If one of the 3 stooges sat in the coach chair as LCW coach in JO13, that stooge would be credited with LCW's win and gotten the bonus. LCW put on a clinic dissecting NTM in SF without RS/TSB. As I said LCW will win for you, he makes your job easy, you might as well sleep and yawn, and by the time you wake up, you got the bonus cheque and another win in your coaching resume. If Rashid thinks he is such a great coach and contributor, I like to see which country will pursue him to be head coach now that Rashid, the Great Contributor to MAS badminton, is available. Please sign him.

#1617 OneToughBirdie, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if u guys know the story of 滥竽充数(will explain when i have time)
    then u know why rashid will leave

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    once upon a time,mister A live in a small country where the king like to listen to a band of musician.
    mister A cant earn any living so he decide to join the band of musician. his life become easy since then.
    one day,the king passed away and replace by his son.
    the new king like to listen solo,mister A know that he will get exposed that he cant play any instrument,so he decide to ran away.

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Something relevant :

‘Our athletes lack winning mentality’

September 22, 2013
    Sports psychologist and Universiti Malaya lecturer Dr Balbir Singh gives an insight on the minds of our sportsmen.
    INTERVIEW
    [​IMG]By Nicolas Anil

PETALING JAYA: World number one badminton player Lee Chong Wei was just two points away in the world championships as Malaysia prepared to celebrate an epic win. But that is as far as he gets, as the looming figure of Lin Dan dooms him to yet another crushing defeat.
    How many times have we experienced this time and again?

One of the biggest questions in the local sporting scene begs the answer, how strong our national athletes are mentally?

Sports psychologist and Universiti Malaya lecturer Dr Balbir Singh says our athletes are not made to feel like champions.

“Our athletes are a talented bunch and have the desire to become champions, but the pathway has to be created by the coaches.

“Currently, we have no psychological programme, which is mandatory for any training programme,” he says.

These training progammes must include psychological components such as psychical, technical, tactical and psychology.

“Our approach to sports psychology is wrong and coaches are also hardly applying it,” says Balbir, who has vast working experience with sports associations such as the Malaysian Hockey Federation, Badminton Association Malaysia and Football Association Malaysia.

“Our athletes are not made to feel like champions, and sports science is hardly used except in hockey and squash, where there is a proper psychology training and regime,” he said.

Winning is not everything, winning is the only thing, says Balbir, adding that psychology is a key ingredient for any athlete, and is a telling point between success and failure.

“Psychology is one of the most important components in sports,” he said.

The Westerners put it ahead of everything else. In order to be a champion, you must think you are the best. If you are not, pretend that you are. To quote Vince Lombardi, “Winning is not everything, it is the only thing”.

“Psychology is vital because it creates the winning mentality that you are the best,” he added.

Motivate players according to their strength. In order to motivate an athlete, you must always have to focus on the individual’s strength, says Balbir, who is the first PhD sports science holder in the country.

Do an individual analysis on the athlete, then guide them step-by-step. There must be a scientific and well-planned programme, he said.

The training has also got to be a holistic approach which makes the players feel good and motivated.

We have world beaters

[​IMG]

Balbir says Malaysia still has a large talent pool, despite the dearth of athletes excelling on the world stage.

“We do have exceptionally promising athletes in our ranks, believe me,” he said.

Take national junior shuttler Soo Teck Zhi, who recently won the Asia Youth championship. Players like him must have a proper monitoring system, and the state association must constantly liaise with the national body to ensure he progresses on the right track.

Chong Wei is not mentally blocked, he is tactically blocked. Balbir also refuted claims the Chong Wei suffered a mental block against Lin Dan, rather he says the shuttler was not trained to be put under the heat.

“We know Chong Wei’s match against Lin Dan is always going to go down the wire, so why not prepare him for the situation? Have we trained Chong Wei to play at 19-19?

Do that 10 times. Re-enact the situation time and again. If he did this in situations, he will be well prepared.

Mentally, Chong Wei is there. Sports associations are also to be blamed because they are not receptive to new ideas and sports science training.

Set a system based on the players’ ability, not ask the players to copy a system. Vary the training regime. Work on your mistakes, videotape it and learn to improve.

Our sports psychologists not utilised

“We do have world-class local sports psychologists, but our services are not used accordingly.

People like Dr Lim Boon Hui and myself are always ready to serve, but the National Sports Council (MSN) needs to be attentive and not always depend on us to come free of charge.

“We have everything, but it’s all at a superficial stage. We are still not applying sports science even though we know it’s important. If they (MSN) are not sure how to apply it, learn. I’ll give you a situation,” says Balbir.

“The Australian Olympic squad hired me to be their kayak coach for the 1992 Barcelona Games. I didn’t know a single thing about kayak then! What did I do, I studied. I spent one month in the library, studying the technicalities of the game so I will be prepared to motivate my team when the tournament starts.

“Everything has to start from somewhere,” he says.

Balbir’s sentiments are certainly shared by the rest of us, who want nothing but the best for our local sports.

Hopefully in time to come, Balbir’s vision will be a blueprint of success for Malaysian sports!

Source : http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2013/09/22/our-athletes-lack-winning-mentality/

#1620 nokh88, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013