Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    some people just read the latest post and start to post a reply....

most of the time the latest post are related to previous post(s)...

2. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    I guess this is the best thread to pose the question -

What EXACTLY does LD put on his racket? Obviously it's not "white paint" (hahahha), but is it specifically lead tape designed to add weight? If so, how much do you speculate it actually adds (in g)?

And, does anybody have HQ pictures of his current racket grip? I think it's crazy, he's no longer holding it from the very bottom, but somewhere in the lower 2/3 of the racket. Again, a similar white tape to cover the wood, and then towel grip from the bottom-middle to the middle-top?

3. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    obviously the new brand li ning gave him an unbalanced racket thus you can see the white lead tape, top and bottom..

as for the weight, it depends on who ld meets, probably lcw he put on at least 500g..in case he is hungry..:D

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Both, lol ! you are the right-handed version....(would love to see both of you playing on the same court it would be a mirror-image) yes still tickets left ..got to 'ticket factory ' to get the last few...it is going to be a sell-out

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

IMHO I can tell what it is from my experience. It is probably either the normal fabric athele's tape or zinc oxide tape (most likely the earlier since zinc oxide tape has much more density although it has better water proofing properties). He put it at the top of the frame to make his racquets more head heavy not just by static weight but really also adding more weight specifically to the head. Notice that compared to his older modification on his AT700, he has less tape on the N90 which tells us that the N90 is slightly more head heavy than the AT700 thus him needing less tape and weight there.

As for the part on the handle, I believe he did that to redirect sweat that drips down from his forearm onto the racquet handle. Notice that how he no longer uses the towel grip bulge (a towel grip wrapping technique) at the very end of the handle (which collects sweat dripping from the forearm and keep them from collecting onto the centre of the palm) and has opted to use less towel grip wrapping to keep the handle end lighter [and thus making the racquet feel even more head heavy]. The tape on that end hence protects the wooden handle from absorbing the sweat and will just let it stay on the tape and drip away during his swings or until he wipes them off during time outs. By the way if you experience it yourself, with the towel grip bulge at the end you will also tend to hold the racquet handle at 2/3 bottom anyway since the bulge is in the way. It just looks more obvious since the white tape "replacement" at the bottom is much thinner and "colourful".

To be VERY honest, those who tell you that the white tape is high density lead tape are only simply being plain scientifically ignorant (do you even think the racquet can handle such uneven physical stress?) or are deliberately tyring to confuse you, since they also don't know the facts themselves :p

#385 Blitzzards, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  6. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Zinc oxide tapes doesnt weight that much, maybe adding 2-3g when rolled up (15cm) and attached which is enough to alter the balance ...I know lead tape are used in tennis , but not so sure they are used in badminton

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic-hmm..

..i thought LD Rules! is a southpaw?? (from his video:confused:)..or was it mirrored?

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yeap! not possible for lead and i was putting a little humor beside the lead tape!

a little humor with lead tape but if you have no choice it can be done, just use your imagination..:D

i was pulling your leg!:) do you really need it? a head heavier racket? you have to get use to it and it may be suitable to ld but not to everyone!:D:D

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Lol staiger, i am LEFT handed. Just like LD, ctjcad you are correct.

I will see if i can get tickets and if i am able to go

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Spot on! TH knows LD's "weakness" since 2005. If you watch his matches against LD around that time, indeed he smashed from the very beginning till the end (remember it's still the old system!), almost never cleared to LD -- that's why LD got frustrated when playing TH back then. Of course, back then TH was much faster and thus can vary the pace better, thus most rallies will end in just 3 or 4 smashes.

Nowadays TH does not have the required stamina and explosiveness anymore, LD has more time to prepare for each shot and consequently Th's smashes are not as lethal as before. LD knows that and LCW knows that. So they just let TH smash, most of the times they don't even bother to do their best to return those smashes. The idea is to exhaust TH. They may lose one or two points this way, but after these 1 or 2 points TH needs 5 or 6 points to recover. So LD/LCW may lose 1 or 2 points, but in return gain 5 or 6. Just watch any LD - TH game after 2006, after one or two long rallies (doesn't matter who won), LD always gets tons of easy points. :cool:

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    first, why does a naturally talented magician like TH resort to 'smash fest' on LD to win points?. To me playing singles demand more skills in shuttle placement, footwork efficiency, shot consistency, finesse, deception, patience, etc. R u saying playing a doubles strategy of smash smash smash work best against LD? It's shame to see a magican has to resort to brainless smashing to beat his opponent.

second, after 2006, why didn't the magican TH change his magic potion on LD?

:D

#391 cooler, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You clearly shows your ignorance of TH's real style... And your ignorance of why TH is "naturally talented"... :D

Furthermore, "smash fest" doesn't contradict "shuttle placement, footwork efficiency, shot consistency, finesse, deception, patience, etc". In fact, to be able to do "smash fest" like TH did in 04 and 05, you need great "shuttle placement, footwork efficiency, shot consistency, finesse, deception, patience, etc". Of course, first of all, you need good stamina and great explosive power (mind you, I am not just referring to being able to hit hard smashes).

If you understand the above, you can understand why Li Mao said "TH is over" as early as the end of 2006. ;)

#392 ye333, Feb 10, 2010
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i wasn't ignorance of TH's style but rather your unconsistent reasoning:D

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Seems you really don't understand... :D:D

Let's make it simple for you. Just think, why Li Mao said "TH's style requires very good stamina", or equivalently, why Li Mao said "TH is over" when TH just showed great form in AG2006. :cool:

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

off topic-the missing ingredient in TH..is quite simple..

:p..as usual, never a dull moment without TH being mentioned in a LD thread or vice versa..:p
    ..he was much faster, back then, and, as you mentioned, had better fitness and stamina. That's the bottom line.:cool:
    ..he had "great explosive power" because he was fit and had the stamina..;)
    ..for both questions and for the style of Taufik's play, ye333 has masterfully & repeatedly revealed the answer above..;)

#395 ctjcad, Feb 10, 2010
  16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Also because he was young back then... As you age, your body gradually loses its flexibility, which is a substantial part of badminton "power".

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

In general, yes..

..but it seems it doesn't really apply to Peter Gade (w/his SS titles), who's much older, too; and he has a kid as well..But overall, it comes down to the amt of training & practice (or lack of)..Another thing to consider abt TH is the fact that TH used to smoke (not a heavy smoker); not sure nowadays, most likely not since he has a kid around..
    Consider also Dato LCW, who is probably the same age as TH. Yet still has the stamina and speed.....or maybe he's not married and has a kid yet..;)
    ..he could still pack a punch, at that time, once in a while & in earlier rounds of a tourney..but we all know he was slowly losing it..

#398 ctjcad, Feb 10, 2010
  19. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Of course if TH trained as hard as LCW, he may stay on top for 1 or 2 years more, but IMHO not much longer. On the other hand, the aging factor is undeniable. For example you can't deny that today's PG is also just a shadow of his prime.

As to LCW, if he do the same amount of training, I doubt he can do better than TH. Just look at LD in EAG -- a few weeks of TH style life and got beaten by an unknown player! :D

20. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I think TH is just running out of ideas when he plays against LD . Everything he does is counteracted and he is just getting out-played. No magic left within the TH pot ,I am afraid; I dont know how TH will ever beat LD again , with his fitness , it prob never.