Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bunbun

bunbun Regular Member

yes u absolutely right...u must get used to it..VT80 a bit slow in defence but good in attacking n clear.did u try to slice the shuttle? if not i think u better try it..n i realize also VT80 need higher tension to make it alive..(just my thought)...(VT80 3UG5)

2. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yeah I think head-heavy rackets are too demanding (Voltric and Armotec series)
    it is okay if you're 100% fit (this is very hard to maintain)
    and for playing 1st match or maybe 2nd matches after a break
    but after you feel a bit tired the extra heaviness will become a burden
    then the extra weight of a head-heavy racket will start to take it's toll
    and that's the price that I'm not willing to pay

for me my ideal racket specs are
    BP 290 ~ 295 mm
    overall weight 94 ~ 95 grams
    shaft stiff ~ extra stiff
    string 0.68 mm (VS850)
    tension 28 lbs

if I use thicker string like BG65 Power 0.70 mm
    then the tension should be 30 lbs
    and if I use thinner string 0.66 mm the ideal tension is 26 lbs

#602 jump-smash, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  3. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

It depends, I play with an AT900T, (ok it is one of the least demanding AT's) but it really isn't getting more demanding when getting tired then right at the start, agree with you that an AT900P/AT700 will get you tired earlier.

4. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    yes totally agree with you
    but that's not the point
    what I mean is when you're tired
    1 or 2 grams of weight
    or 5 mm of Balance Point
    will make a lot of difference
    that is of course playing with someone at your level or maybe higher level
    you'll get tired faster and the racket feel a lot heavier in your hand

5. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

I fully agree with you on that.

6. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I have a VT-70 3UG5 for a few months and tested the VT-80 4UG4 from a friend for about 10 min or less. Even thought the VT-80 was a lighter, it felt as head heavy as the heavier VT-70.

Even though only sampling for a few min, I would recommend the VT-80 over the VT-70 for anyone at intermediate level and above. The racket is a lot easier to play with. Comparing to the VT-70, I felt that the VT-80 was easier to hit clears, drop, and smash. The racket gives good feed back, so shot replications/consistancy are easier to attain.

I've order one already, so hopely my first impression of the racket is correct.

7. bunbun

bunbun Regular Member

I agree with u...highly recommended VT80...

8. danilo5753

danilo5753 Regular Member

IT Executive
    Tested with my VT70 @ NBG98 25lbs - 2hours gameplay.

Overhead stroke - Clear is very easy ~ I love to do high clear with this racket as its almost effortless, just swing it and I can feel the heavy head moving to hit the shuttles. Opponent surprise that the shuttle can fly sooo high and deep to their baseline when I last minutes hit the shuttle from back.

Smash - My smash is not as steep as before, but its more powerful. Most of my smash with this racket is a long smash that hit almost the baseline or hit the person body. Can't adopt with this racket to make a steep smash yet, too bad...maybe I not enough time to pronate due to heavy head or maybe the string? Any suggestion to make it steeper?

Drop - I only able to perform fast drop due to heavy head, slow drop its not get used yet due to the heavy weight dragging my wrist. Therefore, I try to make crosscourt fast drop and its quite effective. Should play more drop with this.

Backhand - I can do a backhand from baseline to baseline easily, and few of it get out ! What can I complain about ? :p

Net Play - Considerable OK thanks to the string helps. Able to make some trumbling shot.

Defense - Lifting shuttles to back is easy, however...I feel its hard to defend against very fast smash that coming to my body or racket arm..feel not enough time to response..maybe its my reflex problem?

Overall , Im in love with this racket for its powerful swing. This racket make me quite lazy to do dropshot, I would rather smash or clear instead of drop.

ps: When I change back to my li-ning BP300B , I totally off-timing with the li-ning racket already haha.. So I decide to stick with this VT70 first.

9. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi Guys,

At the moment I play doubles with Arc 10 but someone is offering a very good price on VT70 & VT80 and I'm considering of buying either one of them but the question is which one?

Does the V80 has extra stiff shaft than v70? if it does than I can't afford a repeat of another tennis elbow. I find extra stiff shaft rackets hurt my arm.

Do you think V70 is better than Arc 10 in doubles? or do you think V70 & V80 are suitable for doubles and with same shaft? I need to know soon, as they guy going to get some orders.

Thanks.

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let us know after 1+ hour of use ;)

11. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    London player: vt70 has a medium shaft, whilst vt80 has a stiff shaft.

12. monkey17

monkey17 Regular Member

i thought the vt80 came only in 4u. with all this talk it kinda seems like the vt80 is better than the arcz, is that really true??? is there really that much of a difference in smashes between them??? what about everything else???

13. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    I think you should read through this thread first...;)

14. the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one Regular Member

Physician
    just got my voltric80-- eager to try it out on court but first have to get it stringed tomorrow-- gonna have it at 24lbs with nanogy 95.. im sure ill be hating it at first since i've been using nano8000 for 5 years now-- but im more of a smasher and i've had played with AT700 before as well.. ü

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    gentlemen, cut it out or we will have to start banning people.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  17. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @ London Player

Arc 10 does not differ much with VT 70. If you want a smooth transition, i guess you should stick with VT70. however if wanna try something new, enjoying another dimension on your characteristics of playing, i guess you should give VT 80 a try.

Arc 10 is a good all around racket, VT 70 will make you play faster and try to intercept at the front of the net, VT 80 will make you a big smasher at the back, Arc 10 could do both of the tasks but have no specialty.

It depends on what position is suitable for you when it comes to play double.

18. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Thanks Licin for your comments.

I was thinking instead of VT80 which is not available in 4U I could consider AT 900T in 4U. What you think? My smash is not that powerful and so maybe I could do with some extra oomph!

19. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    @ London Player

VT 80 is available in 4U. Please ensure that you measure the weight of 3U and 4U VT 80 before you bought it, and choose the one that is suitable to you, because as far as i know, 4U is not necessarily lighter than 3U, some is even heavier.

Instead of 4U AT900T, i would go for 4U AT900P...but still it depends on your style of play, whether you are a smasher or placement player at the net. what kind of player are you?

20. druss

druss Regular Member

I have both the 4U and 3U, the 3U is definitely more powerful but you can really feel the weight in the head when on defence. My 3U is over 89g with a balance point of 305mm. I don't know that I'll use it much as my 4U is much lighter at 83.2g, still has a BP of 306mm though.