Badminton Vancouver

Discussion in 'Badminton Vancouver' started by bad-vancouver, Aug 2, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a local club here, California Badminton Academy, installed some air vents/ducts at the roof which acts as natural convectional circulation. while there is no active cooling involved, the vents and duct systems acts like a chimney that draws the stale hot air out of the gym. i have been there in 80+ days and the gym stays warm but not hot. other places in the same temperature was like a sauna.

something to think about...

2. visor

visor Regular Member

A little hot here and we're complaining? Just be thankful you're not playing in Malaysia or Singapore!! :eek:

3. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

Our experiences included people from Singapore, Indonesia, Philipine, Chinese and local born Canadians. Go to Clearone Poco tonite and verify my statement.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't doubt you. Most likely that place (as most if not all baddy places in Richmond) are converted warehouses with absolutely zero attention paid to ventilation. Hence they will become stuffy in the hot weather.... I hope that this BV will have some kind of ventilation as kwun has described. Afterall it is not a converted warehouse and it seems like quite a lot of thought and planning has been put into the design and building.

5. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Agreed kwun, didn't mean to sound like we're looking to be different just for the sake of being different. Its about the user experience. Your list of factors looks good and they were all factors in my list as well, I would also add "uniformity in play" Professional look I think is a must.

6. bad-vancouver

bar/restaurant would be a great idea :)

cappy, I did look into indirect lighting, it really does make for fantastic lighting and there is no glare. The engineering team also researched if this was possible and they concluded based on the additional infrastructure needed and other constraints, it would no be possible at this time. Perhaps in a phase 2 upgrade in the future.

7. bad-vancouver

so if I cooked asian food for your on weekends, would you play weekends?

8. bad-vancouver

photo for those of you not fans on facebook / www.facebook.com/badminton.vancouver
    managed to get half the sign lit, the important part anyways, lighting of the "vancouver" in white to follow shortly

signlit1.jpg

9. bad-vancouver

Free sauna, isn't that a good thing? Pumping in cold air (air conditioning) isn't the only solution for keeping an optimal temperature. It has a lot to do with the way the building is engineered. I hope I don't disappoint you. Just a sidenote, we get a nice breeze down here being right on the water.

10. bad-vancouver

aw shucks....

bashful.gif

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Do you leave the barn doors or vents open for the breeze to cool off the inside space?

12. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My friends and I bring our kids with us (about 8 adults and 6 small kids). They play in the area with the TV and couches at ClearOne Leslie. Then we go to Aberdeen Mall cuz that's the largest area for all of us with a variety of food. Family time and all that jazz. Does your place have something similar to accomodate all of us?

13. bad-vancouver

The ventilation system is responsible for maintaining the temperature. I only mentioned the cool breeze on the island as its actually quite pleasant outside down here even on hot days.

14. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

To build a masterpiece is one thing, how to maintain the people is another.

15. bad-vancouver

Unfortunately not. I don't forsee an asian supermall opening up on Mitchell island in the near future. If all the little ones need are couches and big screens, I'm sure we can find somthing to keep them occupied. ps. any reason the little ones aren't playing badminton amongst themselves?

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    A bit too young (2-5yrs) to follow instructions for 2 hrs. The plan is when they are a bit older to get them into it (ie. lessons).

17. bad-vancouver

sounds about right. I think you'll be the best judge on whether or not we can keep your children entertained while you and your friends play badminton. Looking forward to seeing you.

18. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    The complaint I heard from some Vancouver players -the floor seems to be too hard in the gyms using mat over concrete.
    They like the floors in the 2 clubs in Seattle which is suspended floor when they come down to play. So if your floor system
    has good support, you should be able to attract players.

Yes, didn't realize VRC court area is bare wood without any finish until a conversation with a VRC board member recently,
    only the non-court area is finished/coated. The downside is the cost, VRC has to resurface the floor every few years (3-5 ?) and need
    to replace the floor sooner than floors with finish due to each resurface actually shave off some wood.

19. bad-vancouver

clinton, which 2 clubs are these? I'm always interested in hearing what players like.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Bellevue and Seattle Badminton Club.

i have been to SBC and the feel of the floor is very good. and the fact that they are suspended explains why. nothing beats a properly done suspended wooden floor. our knees are not getting any younger. :(