Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Men's Singles. Me in yellow shirt.

[video=youtube;1HHdt2PJPKY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HHdt2PJPKY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'd say you could improve your overhead technique a lot - need to strike earlier, be more sideways, elbow further out, body rotation.

Footwork is another area that you would be able to improve on and see significant benefits imo.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;hJfz9c3XlZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJfz9c3XlZM[/video]

Singles from one of the two matches last Saturday - last league matches this season! To this minute, I can't get over the point at 20-18 in the first game, where I smash it out, and am the only one in the hall to notice....while I have the right to feel very sportsmanlike for telling my opponent, it feels crappy as hell that I lost that game and -eventually- the match. That I got sick only a few hours later is no excuse either.
    Still, technically, this is one of my best league singles matches yet. It wasn't very enjoyable though as the opposing team is absolutely the worst in the league concerning sportsmanship and fairness (yelling in delight when they manage to hit you with the shuttle, not greeting you back when you arrive in the hall,....).
    Gonna upload the doubles match tomorrow, it's even tighter than my singles and proves my point (my singles match was by far the calmest and fairest, tbh I can't complain about my opponent's behaviour in that match).
    Using the N70 that day (as I did in training that week).

For those who don't know me yet, I'm the one in black with green shoes.

#1663 j4ckie, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think your racket ready position is hurting your backhand defense - I think you could be a lot more counter attacking/dangerous from your b/h if you gave yourself the chance to hit it earlier :)

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You mean more to my left and a bit higher?
    For those just wanting a peek - good rallies at 6:00-6:40, 7:35, and my favorite at 8:09 ;)

#1665 j4ckie, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yeah, thats what I mean - should help with your doubles, too :D

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Noted and appreciated.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

[video=youtube;Nga37dZ6SGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nga37dZ6SGE[/video]

The hard-fought doubles match from the same day. I cut the 5 minute discussion before the match about whether the shuttle speed was right or not (we had played these shuttles the whole season without ever needing to slow them down, and both hit tested them and found them to be the perfect speed). Matters got a little tense in the 2nd game when we had several issues (opponent interfering with the shuttle, teams disagreeing about whether or not I touched the net).
    All in all, probably (technically) one of the best matches we played, despite the rather short rallies.

9. val_tamse

val_tamse Regular Member

tesco/chef
    good game j4ckie, really enjoy watching that thres drama and tension :) ur opponent tends to play mind games as well.

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

after the discussion with you touching/not touching the net, i would have definetaly shouted out loud, including a stare-down to the opponents...:cool:

nice match, probably the best you've posted so far.

still, some more aggression at the net would be fine, but you know that already.

your partner's got a pretty nice understanding of the game and you 2 play well together, you have a nice gameplan!

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks! A rather tense match, that and their attitude made it hard to stay calm and focused. I like this doubles partnership, as we complement each other pretty well with him preferring smashing from the back and me going forward to the net more often. It's also rare that we criticize each other in a match, which is rather nice compared to some of the pairings we've come across this season. Only downside is that I want to play in a better team next season and he doesn't :/

PS: If you watch closely, you'll see I actually touched the net. I didn't feel a thing though, and my partner didn't notice either, and their reaction did not help matters. It's quite common to disagree on these things, but virtually any other team would've reacted in a manner that we could've accepted, and most would've agreed to repeat the point. I had not noticed the sarcastic clap and laughter of my opponents though - if I had, I never would've given them the point :D Makes me even happier we won this!

#1671 j4ckie, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  12. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    1st game from my men's singles semifinals match at a tournament that just happened. Slow start at an interesting facility with a very low roof and beams that run through it, playing with some surprisingly slow shuttles. All in all a fun time, this is probably only the 3rd or 4th time I have played a left hander in singles in a tournament over the past 5 years.

I'm on the close side in red. Just posting cause I feel like it.

[video=youtube;ve3GzBn_tFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve3GzBn_tFM[/video]

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Interesting game. Don't know if it's the perspective or if you've been working on it, but you seem to get lower in your base position. Quite the difference in skill levels though, apart from a few lapses in your concentration he didn't seem to be able to really score points. Nice that you shared this :)

Just out of interest, how much upper body work do you do? Because you really seem to have good balance and body tension all the time, and I'm just wondering if that's something that comes natural to you or if it's something you practiced. One of the things I have to work on most as I'm woefully slow to change direction when I expected a different shot and I guess part of it is due to a lack of tension.

14. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

things look so much less spectacular in a normal hall and from another perspective as compared to the videos you posted from bigger (international) tournaments.

not much to say about this game, your opponent is just too bad to really challenge you.

but thanks for posting, always nice to watch your vids!

15. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Something that I have been trying to work on as well as changing up footwork recently too. Still lots that needs fixing, slowly but surely its starting to get better.

A fair amount of upper body actually, I don't do it to get huge but more to be very strong and able to help my center of gravity. It may be a combination of both things really. I do a lot of core but also upper and lower back, chest, shoulders, and arms all around trying to keep everything in tip top shape. Obviously there is a more badminton specific focus on some muscles more than others but yeah.

as for difference in a normal hall and the huge tournament halls that I usually play internationals in haha yeah it is a huge difference for sure. Well have some tournaments coming up soon so there should be some more videos to post in the near future.

#1675 nbonkowsky, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Hi nbonkowsky

It has always been a desire of every serious recreational players out there to play badminton as best as possible and enjoy badminton to the fullest extent. Being a professional athlete yourself would distinguish you from recreational players like me for example, in terms of footwork, hitting technique, and training regime. I have watched the video you posted above, wonderful and i agree with j4ckie that you have a good body balance. If you do not mind, could you please share with us your badminton specific workout routine in the gym, like what movement do you do to keep your upper & lower body strong as well as how many repetitions & sets for each exercise, do you also increase weight gradually or not, do you also drink protein shake or just simply consuming lean protein. Things like that, i believe will be very helpful to recreational players out there to have what it takes to play badminton more enjoyable to watch.

Thanks a bunch.

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Played a tournament over the weekend, didn't do so great but here are a couple of videos. The match we won was after I ran out of memory in the card and I was probably playing at least 50% better than in these. Think I pretty much know what I was guilty of, not having racquet up at net etc. Was playing with someone who I last played with over a year ago. I think I need a new regular playing partner[video=youtube;x_cBRttxEBI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_cBRttxEBI[/video]

[video=youtube;gnPYPdwxE6Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPYPdwxE6Y&list=UUhAkeLtbYt4AuHIgC564bew& index=2[/video]

18. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Hey guys, I don't know if you remember me but I posted a video of myself here like a year ago. Well I'm back and I feel like I learned much in terms of the actual game and have a better understanding of the scope of the very high level of play (I remember last year I made very naive comments and didn't really understand the difference between a much better player and myself)

Anywho, if you don't remember me all the same you can still comment on my video and it would be awesome to hear any criticism :)

Obviously you can only see me, you won't be able to judge the quality of my shots but I really just want to hear any constructive criticism on my form. It's in the same place as the video I posted last year with slippery floors but I've gotten used to them so hopefully you won't see me off balance too much :p

A little bit about me:
    Been playing for 2 years, it'll be 3 years in June
    A singles player, using the Lethal 70 and just started using Nanoray 800 (racket in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjtKUORS3Y

P.S. I don't know what that laugh was at the beginning...I'm not even sure if I made that laugh! Also, my opponent was a lot older than me and a nice guy so I kind of showed him a lot of respect and raised my racket after every point in case you guys were wondering

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's a pity that floor is so slippery. You have made a big improvement. I do note that you strike the shuttle too low on overheads. Body is rather stiff instead of the relaxed style you see in advanced players. There are consistency issues.

Overall, I think it's a good level for playing for 2 years

#1679 Cheung, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Yea sorry, I joined this other club with 12 matted courts but I never get a chance to record there

Yea I've heard that I contact the shuttle too low too...I'll work on it although since I'm a relatively strong boy compared to other badminton players around my area I can clear the shuttle very easily. Still I'll try to work on it :) Hmm how do I get rid of the stiffness then? Maybe it's just something that'll go away for the longer I play? I'll try to stay more relaxed though. I know you didn't mention this but I think my timing for my jump smash may be off...I think I jump too early and when I jump I should stay in the air for a bit, and then extend my legs out as I hit the bird.

But thanks a lot for remembering me! I agree I was happy when I saw this video myself haha. My body feels more stable when I move around the court and I get off balance less. Also I can do backhand clears now (I now in the video I was doing them from midcourt but I can do fullcourt ones too!).

Of course I'm still trying to win DC Open...this year I made it to the semi-finals of C and lost in 3 games. Although last year I lost in D without a single win so it was quite an improvement. Next year I'm going to play in A and although I'll probably get knocked down to B and lose somewhere there I feel like it's time for me to move up.