Men's Double Tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by M3Series, Aug 31, 2012.

1. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

He did and I did mention 'most of the time' din't I ? A good player like you should know a smash won't always ends a rally. Especially against a very good player.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Only just saw this response to my previous comment. :eek:

I was only generalising when I said that tall players I have encountered are generally not exceptionally powerful. Of course, there are exceptions. Just as there are many shorter players that are not very agile.

3. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Based on your 1st paragraph that shows a poor serve, which is not the case.

On 2nd paragraph, this is the exact situation I'm trying to describe. "Should be intercepted mid-court by rear player and driven down-the-line." This kind of drives that makes us always had to work the rally before we have to be in attacking-mode again.

So I did some research by watching local tourney's video of men's double final matches. To my surprise the rear player always drive it down almost like a smash.

It seems like the drive backfired them, and in this case, us.

So it makes me wonder how effective can this drive be. At the moment, as we have discussed, if such scenario will happen again I must step back a little and be ready for the shuttle.

P/S : and yes, my partner has one hell of a backhand drive

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If I’ve visualized what you’re saying correctly, here are some suggestions.

When your opponent returns your serve by driving it to your partners backhand, you should still be in attacking formation and standing slightly further back from the T. Assuming your partner executes the smash well, it will be difficult for them to drive it into the open court. However, the important thing to note is that it is YOUR responsibility to cover the cross court drive. Your partner will struggle to execute a BH smash and still have time to turn and cover the other side too. You need to be able to intercept any drives cross court – hence why standing slight further back will help. I accept it is not easy to intercept a cross court drive but it can be done. Even if you try and get your racquet to it, you can play a drop…. If anything, it will make your opponents think twice about driving past you. So, remember the basic things… racquet up, stay low and anticipate!

Obviously if you are good at covering the drives and are a threat to your opponents, they may opt for the lift instead which your partner shouldn’t have a problem with.

Also, I would suggest that your partner mixes up his shots a bit to keep them guessing, BH smashes are only good when they surprise your opponents or is intended to just maintain the attack and shouldn’t be assumed to be winners unless your name is Taufik Hidayat! It’s good to mix a few drops, drives and even attacking clears.

5. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

That's what me and my partner has agreed upon at the moment. Just looking for more options. If they exist...

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah, I see... he can't be backhand smashing a slightly upward drive to his backhand. That'd be a counter drive.

Then as the post above, he has to mix up his speed and trajectory a bit. His opponents are expecting and preparing for drives already so he needs to learn to fast drop down the middle or slightly to the non receiver side. Or even backhand clear to the weaker player, or down the middle back if they're standing side by side.

In other words, have some shot variations. Don't just always drive, this is a game situation, not a practice or a drill after all.

#46 visor, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I know what counter drive is and it's not bro. Because he's a bit short and the 'slightly upward drive' almost like a lift to him except that it's fast and the cork's still facing upward.

And yes I agree with your suggestion by varying the shots. Thnx man

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh? First you say backhand smash mostly, now you're saying the cork faces upward? And it's not a drive, not a clear. Bro, you sure make it tough for us to help you.

But whatever it is, just tell him to be unpredictable.

#48 visor, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  9. lovince

lovince Regular Member

Reviving an old thread.

Actually I do the exact opposite and push my ignorant partner to the back. It gets very tiring and frustrating when said partner continually lifts *everything* from the net if left alone there...

and yeah, never play with the guy again!