New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

Yo Maklike, how much is it selling in Singapore? I'll be going down next week. Thanks!!:)

2. Porky

Porky Regular Member

To those that are worried abt the stiffness of the MX80, dun worry too much...it's not that difficult to handle....personally i've being using headlight to even balanced, flexible racquets most of the time b4 using this "extreme" MX80....it takes juz a little while getting used to it.....now is a matter of finding the right strings and repulsion to match the racquet i feel....i juz broke my VS650 (0.66mm) string after using it for 6 sessions....so now i'm going to use back my regular string (BG80) at my regular repulsion....if it works out well enuff, then i could safely say this will be 1 of the permanent racquet i'm using....occassionally i'm still switching to my BS11 if i'm slightly tired and need more repulsion from the racquet itself....no doubt it's stiffer, but i'm trying out a lesser tension to try and compensate it and hopefully get the best out of the racquet according to my requirement...hehe...anyway the paintwork is really nice and looks more durable so far compared to BS11....to 1 bro who was asking whether it's woven, yes the frame portion got a portion of woven pattern....shaft there isnt any :)

3. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

Hi Porky, I got the Meteor recently too. Feel the same as you...not that extreme...just need some time to get used to it. I'm really liking it too...wonder how many Singaporeans have bought one from Chris so far? =P

4. druss

druss Regular Member

I guess the point is that most people are looking for the perfect racket to complement their skills, in most cases it's a difficult search because of the shear number of rackets out there. That said, I don't think you're getting the most out of this racket if you can't bend the shaft a bit to create the power. If you can't, then why get it and try to use strings to compensate? Just get a racket that is better suited. Don't get this, or any racket, just because it's popular. The best racket for your playing style, along with the best strings at the best tension, this is what we're all looking for.... why start out with a racket that you have to "get used to"? Sorry, I'm not trying to criticize but I really don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to buy a racket that doesn't suit them when there are so many out there that may.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, it's been said that Victor's extra stiff is like Yonex's stiff.

Thanks! Hopefully the whole frame should be fully woven, right? Even though I'm aware that the shaft is not.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. no MX80 for VictorUSA until April. apparently they have a big order that delayed the shipping. it is on a boat somewhere.

so looks like i will get one before they do. ;)

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it seems Victor increase the price of their products (old and new version) in Indonesia
    which would cost Victor, A LOT
    because the price is same with Yonex, or even more expensive

I wonder MX80 cost when it comes to Indonesia..
    apparently it would be more expensive than when you getting one from Hongkong

8. lostLore

lostLore Regular Member

It looks like the whole frame is fully woven cos u can see the woven pattern on like 70% of the frame. But I cant tell for sure cos some parts are covered with normal paint.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

wow! if the frame is fully woven, then this mx80 is an excellent deal for the going price! :D

10. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    hmmm good one ...
    I think extra stiff shaft is the same as high tensioned string
    it will require a lot of energy, power and speed / velocity to gain the repulsion
    but it is like a long bow that require stronger arm to pull the string backward than a short bow
    but the arrow will fly longer distance than if you use short bow
    so it depends on how strong you are
    if you are strong enough than use extra stiff shaft and high tension with thicker string such as 0.68 or 0.70 mm rather than 0.66 or 0.65 mm because thicker string can take higher tension up to more than 30 lbs ++
    just like if you use a big heavy sword in battle
    in the hand of a strong person it will do a lot of damage
    but in the hand of a weaker person it will be too slow, too heavy and no power at all

#510 jump-smash, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

+1000 druss and jumpsmash

although sometimes our speed and power fluctuate from time to time and day to day, depending on our energy level, partner, opponents etc.

so, sometimes i'll use a less demanding racket (ie. less stiff with lower tension) and other times a potentially more powerful racket (ie. stiffer with higher tension)

note "potentially" is emphasized, because the racket itself is not anymore powerful than another... but it can hit harder when more power is available for input

12. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    exactly ...!
    so the extra stiff rackets and thick string + high tension are designed for hard hitters / strong players
    because they are more potential if applied with enough amount of power / energy
    comparing to more flex rackets and thinner strings with lower tensions
    in the same conditions, same user with the same partner against the same opponent using the same shuttlecock
    but unfortunately more potential rackets are more demanding
    they require more strength and skill

#512 jump-smash, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  13. druss

druss Regular Member

Basically, it's just a matter of matching your skill. Some swing harder/faster than others, some don't. For instance, I still use steel shafts on my golf club irons because 1. graphite is too expensive; 2. I swing fast enough that I'd end up with an open face at contact. Same is true for badminton shafts, if the racket is too flexible for your use then the head is farther back than it should be at contact but... if you don't swing fast/hard enough then the flexible shaft actually helps you get power. That's why you see a lot of older people using graphite shaft irons in golf, they just can't swing fast enough anymore and the shafts help them get power and more distance.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

druss,

re golf, iirc there was a company that would use high speed video to analyze your swing and customize appropriate clubs for you, depending on your swing speed and power

if someone did that for badminton players, i'd be first in line ... at least from then on, i wouldn't have to buy and test various different rackets in order to find ones that are suitable for my swing

15. visor

visor Regular Member

jumpsmash,

wish i were the one who thought of it, but i must credit Dinkalot for being one who coined the "relative demand index" of a racket

essentially the more potentially powerful the racket is for advanced players, the more demanding and less forgiving it becomes if used by players with weaker strokes or techniques.

16. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    @ visor

good info man ... custom made rackets that suits your swing speed and power wow ! that's something new and original
    a shortcut so we all don't need to go through that "trial and error" process of buying a new racket and hope it will be suitable

17. druss

druss Regular Member

Yep, I know there are 240 fps cameras and I'm guessing that's what they do. For irons it's not such a big thing but for a driver it''s much more important due to the length of the club and the head speed. I'd be very interested in that, I don't think they could custom make a racket but could tell you which racket stiffness is best for you.

Remember that even for golf, all they can do is select from available equipment, of course there are many different levels of stiffness of shaft, and multiple angles at the club face that can be changed. For rackets it would be super simple, just stiffness and balance point.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

"We use the twenty-one specifications of a golf club to help you obtain the five game improvement goals:

• Distance
    • Accuracy
    • Consistency
    • Trajectory
    • Feel The twenty-one specifications of a golf club are:
    • Loft - to get the correct trajectory and distance
    • Lie - crucial for accuracy, especially in the "scoring" clubs
    • Bulge - affects how controllable our off-centre driver shots are
    • Roll - important for effective launch angle
    • Face Angle - can help tremendously with a slice or hook
    • Sole Angle - important to get right so we do not bury our wedges
    • Offset - helps with squaring the clubface at impact
    • Head design and material - get the correct design for your particular needs
    • Shaft Flex - we match the flex to your swing speed, tempo, and release
    • Shaft Torque - avoid a shaft that is too stiff or too flexable.
    • Shaft Weight - get the weight correct and it matches your natural tempo
    • Shaft Spine Alignment - we ensure the spine is aligned during assembly
    • Shaft Bend Profile - get the correct profile to help with desired ball flight
    • Shaft Material and Design - Graphite? Steel? Scandium? Composite?
    • Grip Size - the only point of contact with the club, it has to feel right
    • Grip Weight - better consistency and feel
    • Grip Material - feel and performance
    • Club Length - the most crucial factor for consistent on-centre hits
    • Club MOI - a MOI matched set means one swing for all clubs
    • Club Weight - light for more distance, heaver for more control
    • Set Makeup - a custom set can be tailored for you. Want to play 4 hybrids and start your irons at # 7 ? Do you like to play forged 3, 4, and 5 irons, and cast in 6 to PW ?"
    Just googled for customized golf clubs by video analysis and one site mentions the above specs taken into consideration in selecting a club for a specific swing speed, tempo and release. Very interesting concept!

If only someone would come up with a system for badminton players...:cool:

19. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Juz for discussion purposes and no flames intended....to a certain extent i do agree with ur statement in that i also do not believe in following the crowd blindly juz for the sake of it....e.g, most ppl would use 3U, but i have stick with 4U....i'm not a professional player by any standard and perhaps an intermediate player who plays regularly....my point in buying MX80 is primarily becoz it looks good! Not so much as influence by other's judgement....i did my fare share of research in finding out the specs and details....on specs it looks unplayable and more towards professional player's standard....but overcome by the aesthetics of the racquet, i juz bought and try it out and it works out fine....perhaps i couldnt generate the level of play that i'm used to, but neither have i deteoriate much from using it.....i think alot of forummers are juz intermediate levels who could actually try out various types of racquets by adjusting their play abit....at intermediate level, i do see alot of ppl using various kinds of racquets from those headlights (NS9900, some apacs models) to those using head-heavy (AT900P, etc) and from flex to stiff....so wat does it shows? It means at intermediate level alot of ppl does have a choice in wat racquet they prefer to use and not becoz they cant handle it....it's not so much of changing urself to match the racquet as if u find some racquet u really like, perhaps u can always adjust ur play to suit to it....nothing is ever perfect juz like Tiger Woods keeps changing his swing even when he was at the peak of his career....henceforth i do not agree totally to ur statement of "I really don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to buy a racket that doesn't suit them when there are so many out there that may" as different ppl does have different requirements/perspective :)

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my new toy is now within walking distance from me. i shall see its full beauty tonight. and of course, share it with all of you.