Badminton Etiquette after a match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's not go witch hunting

True. Let's not go witch hunting. :eek::eek::eek:

To BCers who are fans or anti-fans of certain players, kindly note that we are talking about Badminton, not about players (although we cannot talk about Badminton without the players).

When shaking hand after a tight exciting match, I also sometimes say 'Good Game' to my opponent (whether winning or losing). It's again talking about Badminton, not talking about who is better and/or victorious.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Right, I think players should mind their manners on court and at least shake hands with officials and opponents after a match,

as in many sports. if the opponent spends too much time celebrating,which is quite natural, I think ,like many of you said, the loser should just pack their things and just leave.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I'll be damned if we cannot stick to our topic of this thread

Have we had 1 or 2 posts already being deleted from this thread (because of some insensitive comments)? :confused::confused::confused:

I'll be damned if we cannot stick to our topic of this thread. :(:(:(

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

How about post 12 and 16?? Why they are not deleted??

Bbn brought up the question not me

#24 Yoppy, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

My replies to you were also deleted.We start again from post 18.

6. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    Everyone should watch this video and emulate.

Interesting topic. Everyone should watch this video - Punch Gunalan vs. Rudy Hartono in All England 1974. The best of gamesmanship from both players are captured here.

Focus on minute 8:30 for the victory moment.

[video=youtube;pAXvT3jtFTY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAXvT3jtFTY[/video]

Be joyful with victory, be graceful to the enemy.
    This is what we should all do in court. Opponent should be priority number one. Afterall, there's plenty of time to celebrate with the coaches and fans afterwards...

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sometimes, it's about perceptions and what it "appears" to be.

Let's say we are not talking about professional or international play or tournaments. But say, a local tournament, or just a friendly match with your neighbours or office guys. Stuff like that.

When we step on to the court, we generally shake hands or greet each other in a friendly manner. Then warm up. When everyone feels reasonably ready, we begin play.

At the end of the game, we slap hands or grin or remark some stuff in light-hearted fun, and change sides.:D

At the end of the match, we all move to the net where we exchange hand-slaps or shake hands, and without prompting, we all say something like "thanks," or "good game," or "hey, that was great" or some light-hearted banter. It just comes naturally. Even if one of the four is not in a good mood, he cannot help but join in and be friendly, because the spirit of friendliness just takes over! :cool::D

But international, professional BWF play is different stuff, and we have to be mature enough to recognize it. There are many demands and requirements on a player; he has been trained to do many things; he needs to remember many things. And all of this happens in the heat of the moment, and at a time when he is experiencing the peak of his emotions just after the finals of a tournament. There are ceremony schedules to be followed, so many other people guiding them at that moment, so much.... confusion! :crying:

So A wins, and sparks off a celebration. There is a bit of nationalistic pride, and he runs for the flag, or goes to hug his coach. If it's a Thomas Cup game, he has to hug the whole team who run on to the court! :D But that's OK IMO, everyone is just expressing their joy.

Anyway, B who has just lost, is shaking the hands of the umpire and service judge and all that, and slows down to wait for A to finally run out of steam, but he cannot stay too long because it will look silly. (Shon Seung Mo at the OG2004 was an honourable exception IMO, he even smiled understandingly at Taufik and hugged him like an affectionate elder brother, and I doff my hat to him. It takes a very secure kind of man to do that.)

So then, B thinks, "I got to go now" and walks off. A sees him leaving, is caught now in two minds "should I run after him? should I let him go? how does it look?" but then he is still experiencing the adrenaline rush, and he thinks, "it's ok, we will catch up with one another in the locker room, away from all this noise!" Which is exactly what B was thinking as well.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world see this, add 2 + 2 and get the correct result:
    Anywhere between 658 and 12,915

My 713.5 cents... :)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The best of gamesmanship from both players are captured here

Thanks for the video kennee. :):):)

It's really a good sportsmanship of Punch Gunalan to immediately go under the net to hug and to congratulate Rudy Hartono after their last rally.
    :):):)

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chris, a correction if you won't mind...
    The title of post #28 should read "sportsmanship" instead of "gamesmanship"
    :)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's "sportsmanship", not "gamesmanship"

:eek::eek::eek: Oops, wrong word typed. :(:(:(

Yes, it should read 'sportsmanship' for both title and content.

Probably, when earlier we talked much about 'Good Game', the word 'game' kept ringing in my ears.
    ;););)

BTW, gamesmanship is another etiquette that I dislike.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Chris, you forgot the Most Important Part of post-match badminton etiquette:
    Winner buys the beer! :D

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Luan Jin showing great sportsmanship

Thanks for the video Bbn.

Another great match; Morten Frost-vs-Luan Jin at the 1982 All England, and Luan Jin showing great sportsmanship for helping Morten Frost to stand up.

It's amazing that videos of matches from the past are now surfacing.
    :):):)

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yes, absolutely right. We can see so many instances of this kind of camaraderie and sportsmanship between players of the past eras, transcending borders, colour, race etc. Thanks for these instances! :)

15. miksss

miksss Regular Member

2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal. Nova/Butet beat He Habin/Yu Yang. Nova/Butet celebrate triumph and run to huge their coaches. While Yu Yang is preparing her bag. Then Nova and Butet came to the net and shake hand with He Hanbin. Later on, Butet pass trough the net to approach Yu Yang to shake hand.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's best to allow losing opponents to leave the court for their locker rooms ASAP

Next time, tell Nova/Butet to shake hands with He Habin/Yu Yang first, before running off to hug their coaches.

IMHO, it's best to allow the losing opponents to leave the court for their locker rooms ASAP.

17. miksss

miksss Regular Member

2008 Beijing Olympic Semifinal, Zhang Ning beat Maria Kristin Yulianti, then ZN celebrate the victory,run to her coaches. But then back to shake hand with MKY.

maybe this picture could show a good sportmanship. Both is SMILING :) :)

[​IMG]

18. miksss

miksss Regular Member

but i think it is natural and spontaneous chris, celebrate a huge triumph in a major event. But at least, Butet did come pass trough the net to shake hand with Yu Yang and He Hanbin :)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Maria Kristin Yulianti is always a good ambassador for INA Badminton

Good to see that Maria Kristin Yulianti waited at the net for Zhang Ning to return from celebrating her victory with her coaches.

Not many players are as patient as Maria Kristin Yulianti.

IMHO, Maria Kristin Yulianti is always a good ambassador for INA Badminton. :):):)

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    More instances of good vibes :)
    Taufik and Chen Hong, Asian Badminton Championship 2007

KKK/TBH and MK/HS, Asian Games 2010 finals

KO 2011 KT and Chen Long is a recent game played in the most friendly and sporting spirit. Tago has been consistently a very, very sporting character!

The ongoing love-fest between TH and LCW of course :D

Strangely, I have noticed that generally the love between opposing girls is much more restrained, for some reason. Wonder why?