responsibility for someone breaking my racquet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TitaniumTi, Nov 10, 2005.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    to the OP, i am very glad you started this thread and i'm sorry if i have missed previous thread regarding this topic, but it sorta collected a lot of ideas on how to deal with lending out rackets, especially for someone (like me) who really cares about his/her equipment. and to be honest, i'm like this with all my sports equipment, tennis, pingpong, golf, pool...etc. and i am very happy to hear that it's ok to refuse lending when i'm not if the person will take care of my equipment as if it was their own :)

at the same time i see that there are a lot of generous people out here on BC so their world is not all bad :)

2. aboveNbeyond

aboveNbeyond Regular Member

Kwun certainly speaks the truth. I agree with what a lot of people also said on here.

- If it was a crazy swinger friend I'd tell him(before the actual game)that if he breaks it he pays and let him know that his technique is high risk.

- If it was an accident with a close friend I'd tell him not to pay for it but if he insists then all the better because (depending on the price of the racket) if you guys get into an argument over such a fun sport then it will ruin you both and yes friendship is definitely worth more than any badminton racket.

- In the OP's situation, I would ask the acquaintance to pay since I barely know him but if he refuses I'd get the friend to ask him and if he refuses yet again then I'll just leave it and probably ask for him never to come again as his attitude towards the thing is a let down for the group as a whole (I know double standards but if you act that way even in front of new friends it wont get any better).

My opinion is to be taken lightly as I'm only using an ArcSaber 002 ($40) meaning it's just $40, I admit I might be a bit selfish and not let anyone borrow my racket if it was $150+. But in light of this topic, my group has casuals and sometimes regulars who either don't have a racket or forget theirs so I think I might actually buy a couple more of the ArcSaber 002 for people to use since I (beginners opinion) think it's pretty good all rounder for a beginner.

3. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    aboveNbeyond, may I suggest you consider buying a different racket other than the 002. This way you will have a different racket to try out and the 002 can be used by you or lent out if someone else needs a racket. Just my own opinion though, I prefer different rackets instead of owning duplicates.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

just to clarify things:
    i never aim to hit anyones face!
    nevertheless, in fast net-exchange situations, i don't waste any energy/concentration on trying to avoid hitting the opponent (in matches clearly, training is a different thing...). in these situations, it might happen that i somehow anticipate a net shot or something, jump in there and go for the netkill. in these situations, accidents happen and i don't bother to avoid them. mens doubles is usually so fast that i don't have the time to watch where my opponent is and try to avoid hitting him. it's his concern to get out of the way! and usually he gets out of the way, as players know when it gets risky and behave accordingly...

@topic: i lend my rackets (VT80) to any of my team-members if they need one and would expect them to pay for it if it breaks (and i truely believe they would pay). strings break, that's my problem as they've probably been torn anyways...
    (strings never last more than 2-3 weeks, so i have them strung pretty often anyways...)

fortunately, there are no beginners/intermediates where i play, so i luckily don't come into situations where i have to lend a 200$+ racket to a woodchopper...

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    point taken, and i do agree with your way of thinking :)

"woodchopper"....muahahahahaha.

6. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

This is a great unspoken topic. Thanks op for bringing this up.

I don't lend/borrow racquets from/to others.

I take care of my racquet well, and that expectation simply doesn't necessarily transfer to others. Just the way some people scoop up shuttle with the racquet is enough to make me cringe.

Friendship does worth more than money, but why risk it?

If they want to try out a racquet, they can use it for warm up and not play a match. And I expect them to be responsible for it if it is damaged, doesn't matter who caused it.

7. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys, so I'm planning to get a racquet strung at my local badminton club. I'm worried about this. NOTE: Genuine racquets and strings only. We are not responsible for any broken strings or racquets during the stringing process in addition to any racquets and strings that are not genuine. This just means they will not compensate and are not held accountable for breaking a fake racquet right?. So if they break my authentic racquet with authentic strings they should be responsible right?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as a stringer, i can understand why they have that disclaimer. fake rackets and strings are very poorly made with cheap materials. they are soft and don't take tension very well. there is a high liability for the stringer if it cannot take the tension.

besides, if the racket do break, how can the stringer be responsible? give them another fake racket?

best for your case, is to ask the stringer to clarify it.

9. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I do understand I think fake racquets rule is totally reasonable, I just hope they won't break my armortec 250, I'm
    Giving them my authentic armortec 250 with zymax 65 strings.

Yeah I'll clarify it tomorrow since I'm going for drop ins, it's ridiculously expensive $8 for drop in even if you bought member ship, $13 for normal drop in no member ship :eek:, thanks kwun I appreciate it.

10. aboveNbeyond

aboveNbeyond Regular Member

Hmm, that's actually not too bad of an idea thanks, it was on the back of my head when I posted it but wasn't sure. I mean I was thinking along the lines of the beginner end of different series so maybe a cheap nanoray and cheap voltric so it's more versatile to those I lend out to. I might even branch out to other brands. :)

I also want to state that with all this talk, I think it is okay to say no to people/friends who ask to be lent your racket, there are always others to lend it from.