Chances to regionals, nationals

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kelvinkos, May 1, 2010.

1. Kelvinkos

Kelvinkos New Member

For an athletic guy that started training few weeks ago, what are the chances? I train every week by myself and few friends for 2 hours, once a week. I got better every time I make an mistake, knowing what I should've done instead. My skills are not that great (serving, clearing), but I have high hitting power due to strong body type. I'm not planning to get a personal coach or whatever. How long would it take to beat everyone all the way to regionals? nationals? As for someone that has gotten quite decent within 4 days of training (4 weeks). Please help.

2. CantSmash

CantSmash Regular Member

Take it one step at a time, you won't be able to get to regionals and nationals in a short amount of time. It usually takes years... There's a learning curve once you reach a certain skill level.

3. Kelvinkos

Kelvinkos New Member

Even if I'm improving a lot and making huge progress?

4. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    Welcome, KelvinKos!

Hi Kelvinkos,
    Warm welcomes to BadmintonCentral! :)

In my personal experience, you'll find that everything in life gets harder as you reach higher levels... I refer to it as the "law of diminishing return."

Sure, in the first few steps of anything, it will seem very easy and that one is making huge progress (definitely not to exclude the possibility that you may be talented :D:p), but remember that when one reaches a relatively high level, let's say 80%, things get MUCH, MUCH harder, and MUCH, MUCH more patience is required to reach just 1 level higher each successive time from that point on. And, remember that any amount of god-given talent is useless without hard discipline and hard work when you reach those very high levels, which are needed to play in something like the nationals.

Well, best of luck in your quest to reach your dreams :D . Like you, I also sometimes do not get much training time. I can tell you that for a young guy, I have big dreams just like you :D:cool:. The solution is just to take it in small steps (like CantSmash said), be patient when things are not working just the way you want it to; eventually you will break that plateau and will have felt joy by reaching the next level. That way, you can feel a sense of joy and accomplishment every time you complete a training session.

Also, CantSmash is perfectly right with his valuable advice; take his advice into thinking when you are practising, but stay positive and believe in yourself. :)

All the best, my friend. Hope I've been of some help to you :). Just my 2 cents :p. Remember, work hard consistently, then results will come with patience.

Enjoy your time at BadmintonCentral; :D it's bound to be one of the best for its kind on the web :rolleyes::cool:.

#4 stanster213, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  5. Kelvinkos

Kelvinkos New Member

That really talked me into putting more time into it. Even though I could only train once a week, I believe by the next season I'll get a lot better. I don't need coaches or anything, I just want to play my own way and win. Today is tuesday, meaning more practice for me. LET'S GO.

6. stanster213

Glad I have helped.

Yes definitely - the more time the better for anything.
    Glad to see your motivation :D

Remember, only QUALITY practise makes perfect, this is what most people neglect :D

Have a good training; train hard but dun overdo lah :p

PS.. as others might say though, at a certain point you might want to invest in a coach... it would be better to build up good techniques now rather than having a burden of fixing them up later... always good to have a second set of eyes. And, on the other hand, good technique help prevent INJURY - prevention is better than cure. You wouldn't want to have a career threatening injury from improper habits, would you :rolleyes:

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    If your serious about getting better, invest in a coach for your badminton. Its the only way to really get to a high standard and quicker than if your training with mates or on ur own.

But good luck, all I will say is get the basics down first such as getting ur clears full length all the time, serving great, footwork is big one 2.

Ive been addicted to this sport for 4 years now, in past year I have gotten coaching and seen a sports psychologist to get my brain right and I have gone up a level in my play. Its take a lot of hard work but if you love it, it will be worth it!!

8. RyomaEchizen

RyomaEchizen Regular Member

I'm apologizing ahead of time if this offends you, but im hoping not because that's now what I intend to do. But I think you're just thinking that badminton is an easy sport. We all know its a minor sport but it does take some serious amount of time to even be able to reach the provincial levels. Keep training, work hard, and determination... you'll get better and better and possibly see you (even tho i dont know you by face or anything) in the nationals or something :D
    goodluck , happy training

9. stanster213

Agree with everyone above..
    To put it short, NOTHING is easy if you want to reach the very top levels...
    You must put a LOT of work over A LONG PERIOD of time and SACRIFICE a lot to reach your long term goals.
    Badminton is just as hard, most likely harder, than a lot of other popular sports to play at a high level.. there's the element of finesse a lot of other sports lack...

Is not as easy as 1-2-3... patience is needed :rolleyes:;) hehe

Good luck with your training. :D

10. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    Hey Kelvinkos!

I guess you can say that the skill level of those regional/national players are important in order to know how much you have to improve. But since it seems you live in Canada, I know EXACTLY what the skill level is. I've been training for about a year and a half, and I am now at the Canadian national junior level, some people are amazed at the fact that i've only been under a coach for 1.5 years .. But the point is, in order to get to that level, you REALLY need to start playing more often. To be honest, one day a week is not going to let you improve once you get to that point where progress slows down.. I use to only play once a week, I felt like I got better pretty fast when I set my mind to it, but once I stepped into a tournament, I would get crushed .. So that's when I decided to up-it-up, when I got most of the basics down, with a semi-clear, drop, nets etc, I decided to get a coach which will help you A LOT! I'm going to be honest, without a coach/without more playing time, I don't think you can improve past a certain point .. And you said you had problems with clearing, but that's basically the most important shot in order to move your opponent backwards. I know intermediate players who ONLy rely on their hard-hitting power, and that doesn't work once you play against somebody half decent. If you really want to reach that top level, start playing more, grab a coach at your local club, etcetc. Most national players have been playing for ... lets say 4+ years, and i've been playing for 1 year, some of my friends say thats talent, but I think it's all mostly hard work.. I trained 5 days a week, as hard as I could with the thought of beating everybody. But still , that hasn't happeend yet, but I am able to beat many players that I never thought I could last year, so aiming for the top after summer ;)

But yeah! That should be your goal too! Train extremely hard, stay dedicated, keep that passion going, etc and you can make it to the top.

It all takes time, patience, and dedication. Don't give up. :)

11. stanster213

Great advice, man. [​IMG]
    Good luck in your training, too! :D

12. RyomaEchizen

RyomaEchizen Regular Member

I'm jealous! I missed the registrations for this season and now, i dont get to play with anybody T.T I've been playing with a friend for awhile now, prolly 3 times a week we go train. I train by myself too and I'm very impressed with how fast I'm progressing it actually is noticeable but yeah i need to play other people.. to actually find out

13. LordKevinX

LordKevinX Regular Member

Junior Player/U19
    Haha ! Thanks a lot Stanster ;P

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Great post overall and I've highlighted a common misconception. Those who start off in the game think strength can overcome technique. Badminton is not like tennis were one can overcome the opponent with power. That's the beauty of badminton.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kelvinkos,

i suggest go enter a local tournament and see how you do. compare yourself with others there. then you will have a good idea and most likely a realization that badminton is HARD and requires total commitment in order to excel. once a week by yourself is not enough even if you are ultra talented. you need a good coach, and train at least 3 times a week if not more.

16. stanster213

no problem la man~ :D:D

Badminton.. a lot different from other common sports.
    Besides raw power that most people dream of, there is an important dimension of grace, finesse, touch, elegance, etc... :D
    It's almost a sport AND an art at the same time :D:D haha ^^

Agree wholeheartedly. Any amount of god-given talent is USELESS without hard work to reach the highest levels - bordering EXCELLENCE. :cool:
    Make it a CHALLENGE for yourself - push yourself... in the end, it's not about if you're better than ever1 else around you... IMO it's about if you've reached that level of EXCELLENCE and if you have truly become the best u can be :D:D
    G'luck lah man~

17. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Also, please record a video of your first tournament match and post it up. ;)