playing a backhand clear under pressure

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dazzatron, May 12, 2010.

1. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    The video has 3 parts.

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    #1 ~ Improving your footwork and actual set up will get you out of the sticky situation of being super rushed to try and hit a shot. After a net exchange if your waiting at the front for another net this is always going to end badly. I coach my students to always return to their recovery position. If they hit a tight netshot and believe the opponent may hit a net shot take 1 or 2 small steps back towards your recovery position and be ready to pounce if they do end up hitting this net shot. But preperation should always be moving back towards your recovery position first. THink of it this way. If they hit a net shot and your in recovery it will take 2 steps or 1 if your footwork is good to get to that shot. If they lift to the rear of the court it should be 2 steps or 3 and you will have plenty of time for that shot. If your at the front and they lift. Your footwork disapears and mistakes are made.

#2 ~ Technique is very important in hitting full court clears whether under pressure or not. Make sure pressure or no pressure your following the same basic technique of a backhand clear. Wrist and swing speed is ofcourse the most important aspects in making this shot/shots successful.

#3 ~ Playing a crosscourt shot could end terribly on your end unless the opponent is out of position. If possible play a straight drop as you then have less distance to cover from the back of the court. Also alot of people feel its necessary to make fast sharp shots. In singles playing slightly slower and slightly looser shots provide you with more options. If a tight drop is made the opponent can play a tight net shot very easily causing you grief. If a looser net shot is played they either will lift or actually have to make the adjustment and effort to control a tight net shot making it harder for them.

Just a few things to think about. I could provide a few more but that will do for now :) take things in steps and practice over and over. Its the only way to improve and remain more consistent.

3. bradmyster

You would be surprised how possible it is to make a clear shot under the circumstances where the shuttle is behind you and below shoulder level ;) Ofcourse it is very very difficult to pull off and control but nonetheless it is possible and has been seen many times on different levels of competition circuits :D

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, it is possible but then it is not called a backhand clear. All clears, backhand or forehand, as well as smashes are over-the-head strokes. Once below shoulder level it is either a drive or a lift.
    Sometimes what appears to be backhand clears executed from below the shoulder are in fact executed above. This is because the player lowers his body much lower than normal but he still takes the backhand clear over-the-head. I don't think it is biomechanically possible to hit a backhand clear with the shuttle behind you and below your shoulder. Maybe you can post a video, perhaps of Taufik, but I haven't seen one.

5. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I've seen a few pros(one is Nova Widianto) who'd turn, then speed to the back and forehandedly whipped the bird back at just over the net, cross-court or just straight.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, this is a forehand shot or drop but not a backhand clear. As I have said it is not possible to hit a backhand clear after the shuttle has dropped below shoulder level and behind you. Yes, the shuttle may initially look like it has passed the player, but a high shuttle has high drag and it takes sometime for it to reach its target and a very fast player can still reach it to hit a backhand clear at a near vertical height, either to his side or slightly behind.
    You can in fact look at videos of Taufik's backhand clear and at point of impact freeze the frame, and tell me if you can see any backhand clear that is hit below shoulder height and behind.

7. bradmyster

I see your technicality there. I am speaking for an amature point of reference. Alot of players immediately get confused when discussing the pure technical side of things. A clear to most players is hitting the shuttle to the back of the court. Just speaking very simply :) so yeh you are very right in everything you are saying and i wasn't disputing that at all. Just speaking simply for the less technically involved players on here to get a basic idea :)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Actually, I think the terminology is uncertain, because it's a relatively unusual shot and almost never coached.

I would probably call it a clear, but you could also call it a lift.

9. JSmashz

JSmashz New Member

N/A
    I still need to work on it :(
    Yes i agree, the backhand backhand is very handy, i realized i had this problem yesterday as i was playing at Lincoln Alexander.

10. Monster

Monster Regular Member

As long as it works and get you out from these emergency situations - lift, clear so be it.