Badminton crowd : loud or quiet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Aug 24, 2005.

?

how should a badminton crowd cheer?

1. loudly! make lots of noise between and during rallies (eg. INA open)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. loudly, make noise only between rallies, stay quiet during rallies.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. quiet, hand clapping between rallies. (eg. JPN open)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. dead silence all the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    i suppose a little cheering will not do any harm.It does help to boost players' confidence.But too much does affect the players 'concentration.They tend to feel more pressure and then loose focus.hmmm..but i think i will go for the second choice.

2. B Kwok

B Kwok Regular Member

Student
    I like the cheering between rallies but as a junior player I get parents and friends cheering for their player. This is fine but it really just ticks me off when they cheer every single time I make an unforced error. When they do this, I just think, either "shut up" lol or "do you know the game?" I know it's a little harsh but it is quite annoying.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

haha, it's only natural, i'm sure you'll get used to it and find that it won't bother you after a while.
    one question though : where are your friends and family who should be cheering for you when your opponents make mistakes? :D

4. macca

macca Regular Member

i only play at club level - so im confined to sports halls and churches for the most part. I find it really off putting when you are playing in a 1 court hall, and absolutely everyone is dead silent whilst you're trying to serve.

5. didierblack

didierblack New Member

student
    i love when its really loud and noisy!!!

6. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    It's a major confidence builder when they're cheering for you, if they're cheering aganist you and no one's cheering for you, it just demoralizes you.
    I know, I have experience.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The problem that I have with loud noises during a rally, for both tennis & badminton, is that players are likely to miss out on some important feedback. The sound a ball or shuttle makes when it contacts an opponent's strings can be very important information. Is is struck solidly or is it a mishit? Is it a brushed sound or was it hit squarely? How much spin was imparted?

Players react to these sounds both on a conscious & a subconscious level.

Even tho' light waves travel faster than sound waves, for events that are in our local vicinty we will actually respond to the sound before we react to the information we get from our eyes. This is because our aural (auditory) reaction time is considerably quicker than our visual reaction time. Sprinters hear & react to the sound of the starting pistol a lot quicker than their visual system can respond to the sight of the pistol firing.

To test this phenomenon, check out the link within the discussion below:
    MyBrainTrainer.com/board/topic.asp?topic_id=496

So my point is that, since our auditory reaction time is superior to our visual reaction time, it makes sense to be able to hear the sound of the shuttle on the opponent's strings so that we can make a quicker, more informed response to that contact. Loud crowd noises can mask some of this important feedback.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Canada Winter Games, it was deafeaning 100% of the time. Never had such fun playing.

I think the mental and adrenaline impact of the cheering has more of a positive effect, enough to outweight the deleterious effect of missing string-sound feedback.

9. bayu_ir

bayu_ir Regular Member

marketing communications
    silent or cheerfull, quiet or loud, just be ready if you play in Indonesia. This is not your own game, it's ours! :D. Be confident with your shoot and technique or you'll get "real time" course:p , cause we're all (almost) badminton players. Peace.

10. BombaTwIsT

BombaTwIsT Regular Member

loud during crazy rallies and in between rallies because i get momentum when the crowd cheers for me after doing a really nice shot, but if the crowd cheers for my opponent, it gives me momentum to turn things around and sometimes i do turn things around ;).

11. _Badmint0n_

_Badmint0n_ Regular Member

I would defiently have to say loud between rallys, when i am playing i pefer quite because of all the distractions coming from all around me, its much easier to concentrate when its quite, but then when ur between rallies its nice to here people cheering for you =D

12. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    This is not really the case at all. Badminton, in its earliest forms (such as Poona), was usually a game of cooperation rather than competition. In this respect it might be likened to playing catch or doing footbag maneuvers in a circle. The game as we know it did not become competitve until the mid-19th century. Around the 1860s (?), the British military decided to add a barrier (a net) and some boundaries (often, an hourglass shape). It was only a century ago or so that the present rectangular boundaries became the standard.

I'll also take issue with the opening statement. Badminton is not exactly a game of chess -- but played at a skillful level, the strategy, especially for doubs, becomes rather chess-like in nature. I would not diminish the game by implying that it has nothing to do with strategy.

13. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Auditory reflexes demo

In case you missed it, the following link illustrates how important sound reflexes can be:

explorelearning.com/index.cfm?method=cResource.dspDetail&ResourceID=43

If you run this demo, you will undoubedtly discover that your ability to hear & react to a stimulus is considerbly faster than your ability to respond to the sight of a stimulus.

14. JoeM.

JoeM. Regular Member

Student
    I think the crowd should be really loud, because i just love watching games with this amazing atmosphere :D
    Even if i don't know how it really feels when you're playing, I prefer a loud crowd to the silence :D

In my opinion, the pros should be able do focus in the match and forget the crowd... if they can't, they shouldn't be a pro ;)

15. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Loud noises between and during the rallies for the win! For some reason I play way better when people are watching me or cameras are pointed at me (Attention freak?). This might not be the case for everyone, but if many people are watching me and cheering, I tend to play much better and get way more into the game. As long as the people aren't shouting vile things or spewing insults at me or my opponent or anyone for that matter, I see no reason as to why it would really matter. If loud noises distract you then I would see why, but personally I find it more thrilling and exciting if someone goes OHHH when I smash.

16. BombaTwIsT

BombaTwIsT Regular Member

this is also the same for me, it is very thrilling whenever people cheer for me during the rally, it tells me that im in control of the rally and that i decide whether the rally goes in my favor or their favor in most cases. :)

17. markhamplayer

markhamplayer Regular Member

As loud as possible when I'm winning!
    Keep very quiet when I'm losing!

18. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

loud ftw, just dnt shout my name, i hate it when ppl shout my name its very distracting

19. RiZzSs

RiZzSs Regular Member

I'm danish and i am very sad about the way danes cheer. They almost only clap their hands and maybe shout once in a while. For me the "ideal" cheering is the asian way to do it!! they cheer on both of the players, even tho it might be an european and an asian player!! They cheer to get the best match, not to make one of the players play bad!! I have also observed that in the asian tournaments, theres always a nice atmosphere!! I hope it will become that way to in Europe, and Denmark!!:)

20. virus

virus Regular Member

pupil
    I think all badminton fans should act like football fans without violence and destruction etc.