Malaysian Juniors 2009

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by champion8, Jan 30, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

• [​IMG]
    This photo's nicer, from SIn Chew, at least Chooi's smiling here, Ow like dunno how to kiss the cup or scared of bacteria.:p:p

http://sports.sinchew-i.com/

2. k_sakic

k_sakic Regular Member

Lol....dunker...i just read the conversation between you and limsy...limsy..no offense..but sometimes you go on tangents....some of your replies are totally irrelevant to what people mean/say

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

no worries, guys..limsy was just too excited and happy mas bd manage to win the wjc title in fashion yesterday:D

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    sorry ya
    my english very weak 1
    hehe
    dunker,mind to pm me?:D

5. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

today straits time paper said that our junior must not be satisfied with 2nd place. they are right.

They also mentioned that Zulfadli should joined BAM to improve as he will have access to complete training facilities.

They also said that depths of girls single is still lacking and they dont think that Sonia Cheah is likely to win the worldchampion title

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm
    i will post those news link here:)

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
  9. eaglehelang

BAM should treat success with caution

By K.M. Boopathyboopathy@nst.com.my

2009/11/03

MALAYSIA have made it a habit of winning the World Junior Championships boys' doubles and it was good to see Chooi Kah Ming-Ow Yao Han coming back from the dead to keep the tradition going in Alor Star on Sunday.

Kah Ming-Yao Han were rank outsiders, which has always been the case for Malaysians in the World Juniors, as Indonesia's Rendy Yohanes Sugiarto-Angga Pratama and Lu Kai-Liu Peixuan of China were the standouts but the local pair rose to the occasion.

The regular success of local pairs -- this was the fifth time Malaysia have won the boys' doubles in 11 editions -- is a remarkable effort which, unfortunately, has not translated into success at the senior level.

What is even more worrying is the fact that most of those who won the World Juniors boys' doubles crown faded away once on the senior circuit.

Except for Chan Chong Ming -- a triple world junior champion -- and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, the rest didn't fulfil their potential.

Even then, Kien Keat was only a semi-finalist in 2002 but had the potential to become world class while Boon Heong, champion in 2004 with Hoon Thien How, is probably the only player who has thrived on the senior stage.

This is not the case for players from Indonesia, who have surprisingly only won the boys' doubles once -- in 1992, but their players have made the transition to world class players in quick succession.

Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan are the best example as they only had a bronze to show in 2002 but are the current senior world and Olympic champions.

Lee Yong Dae of South Korea has proved to be a phenomenon as after winning the world junior title in 2007, he captured the Olympic mixed doubles gold (with Lee Hyo Jung) in Beijing last year and has been twice runners-up with Jung Jae Sung in the World Championships.

A bronze medal is the best Kien Keat-Boon Heong, seen as Malaysia's brightest prospects in decades, have managed in the World Championships and they were only quarter-finalists in the 2008 Olympics.

The BA of Malaysia and the national coaches deserve praise for delivering in Alor Star when indications were otherwise but they cannot rest on their laurels based on the track record.

Players must be geared to quickly become world class rather than wasting their good years honing skills and physical condition.

The basics have to be mastered at the junior level but the process is not being done well enough and Kah Ming is a perfect example.

The frail-looking Kah Ming, 18, was not in a condition to play in two events and had to concede the mixed doubles with Ng Hui Ern.

Kah Ming-Hui Ern lost to eventual champions Jongjit Maneepong-Rodjana Chutabunditkul of Thailand in the third round and had the Malaysians won, they could well have taken the title.

Kah Ming's poor physical condition has already prompted a warning from Yap Kim Hock that the shuttler will struggle to establish himself when he joins the back-up squad next year.

But that is not only Kah Ming's responsibility for BAM and the coaches also share the burden.

Mindsets must change, especially when it comes to deciding when a player is ready for challenges on the senior circuit.

Boon Heong is a perfect example as he was Asian Games champion in 2006 -- just two years after winning the World Juniors and BAM and the coaches must decide based on the quality of players rather than theories.

The good news for BAM from Alor Star is that there are still quality players coming through the ranks but the challenge now is to ensure that they realise their potential.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/39MONE/Article/art_print

KM Boothy also read BC, me thinks, all that been discussed + more.;)

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

We just got to accept the fact that not everyone has the ability to see the bigger picture.

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Bolehians, lets not get intoxicated

Yes, yes we won the boys doubles event.

Yes, yes we have the world's best boys doubles pair nicely tucked in our stable.

Yes, yes our Iskandar made it to the final in the boys singles event.

... but hold the toddy and samsu, we are not home and dry yet. Why so? A quick check with previous winners, we will find a majority of them just fade away. Playing in the little boys and little girls league is one thing. Playing with the big boys and girls in the senior circuit is another. Not many will make the grade. And from our current batch, I dont see any exemptional talent/s.

For our girls shuttlers, I dont think any of them will make the grade in the senior circuit. Yes, they will play in the senior tournaments but they wont make any headlines or win any SS titles. In short, they will just make up the numbers or will be cannon fodders. Majority of them will fade away.

As for our boys, I be honest in our singles department, I dont see any potential at all. Iskandar, Shawal ... are just ok ok shuttlers. Yes, they are good in Malaysia but put them on the international circuit, they wont make the cut. I will say they wont even win a single SS title outside of Malaysia. Misbun's son? No way la. If daddy's not Misbun, the lad is at most a state player. As for our doubles, Ow/Chooi are just an average pair. They dont really have much technical skills and I rate their chances of making the senior cut at no more than 30%. As for the rest, they will end up as coaches/trainers/racquet stringers etc.

12. eaglehelang

It could be due to language problem that cause Limsy's replies to be seen as irrelevant. Stimes must translate to chinese 1st, then can understand.
    For dunker's points, an understanding of the trends,etc,etc,etc is also needed.

13. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

ok... i dont want to jump the gun to disagree and agree. whatever it is our nation have to keep looking for potential players.

Does Thailand knows that they have a WJC in Ratchanok? if they dont take chances they would never know.

before even Sonia or Li Lian tries, they have even been written off.

Same as iskandar, Misbun or Shawal- sad is it not

Our WJC only given 30% success.

Maybe its time for BAM to starts revamping and look into the problems we have.

Yes. we have good graduate from BJSS but after that....

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes,i agree with u uncle
    thats why i said
    this is not bjss problem,not player problem
    bam really need to look deep into the problem:(
    but then,not many think so

15. eaglehelang

Anyway, Ow & Chooi will be split for at least a year, until after 2010 WJC. Then maybe Ow will partner back Chooi, but overall I think Ow have better potential than Chooi to make it at senior level.

Btw, next year, is Yew over age already? Yew didnt feature in BD this WJC, Goh/Pang played as 2nd BD and Ow partner Lai Pei Jing in XD, not Hui Ern.
    I thought Hui Ern is best gal player among junior XD.

Next yr, it's Zulfaldi, Sonia, Yang Li Lian, Tan Wee Tat, Lai Pei Jing, Shevon & gang's turn to rise up.

#255 eaglehelang, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yew also 18 this year.:)
    chooi/ng same age
    lai/ow same age
    thats why they patnering each other.
    there is another reason why they is patner,i sms u:p
    yes,will be next batch to fight:)

17. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian

Yes, now rereading my earlier comments i can see why he replied as such.

But that does not change the fact that we have a problem turning our kids into men. Jumping up and down now is a kin to a parent jumping for joy stating that their kid will be the next Einstine after getting stright A's in primary school. (not to mention giving Pemuda more ammo:D). Dont get me wrong, i am very happy for all the players, overall they did do well. THey must see now that there is still a very very long road ahead. and thats what i fear they do not see. NO i do not blame BAM. I think if as individuals these kids have the will power to forge on ahead to be the next big thing, no force on earth or crappy system will be able to stand in the way. I think that individual drive is what is lacking, and it is that quality that prevents them from becoming world beaters. Not talent, skills, speed or fitness. The best teachers can only do so much, the best equipment can only do so much but if these players have it in them to be the worlds best, they dont need all those things. (It is also that quality that made Nadal, Tiger woods and MIchael schumacher different for the rest of the field.) TIme will tell if things will work out but as statistics shows, things arnt looking too bright. I hope more then anything else to be wrong, but i fear i may be right in saying that our bright future is not here yet, more Yeoh Kay Bins in the BAM roster.

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

19. eaglehelang

Huh? Nobody is jumping up & down, as has been discussed in WJC thread. And I think the juniors themselves know very well it's a long road ahead. How the decision makers react, that's a different story. ;)

Ow/Chooi wasnt even supposed to win WJC, their semis opponent (AJC winner) were the fav. In finals, at 4 pts behind, they caught up in deuce & won - seldom seen scenario. Normally kaput already.:p
    I consider Ow/Chooi, Ow/Yew (AJC runnner up) not as good as Mak/Teo combo. Plus, Ow has another year in junior circuit.
    Hopefully among them, another world beater will be produced, and the coaches & management will dare to make the bold decision like they did in 2006.

For MS dept, Iskandar & gang are the best juniors to come by after many years. The situation of MS dept was no hope, now at least got some hope lah.:D

LCW at 17 was just a small sized kid, not deemed good enuf to take on the big guns.
    As has been proven time & again, individual drive is not sufficient, as there're also politics involved.

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Aduh, that one also count eh? :p