It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It needs another element called TQM and a spirit of continuous improvement on top of the standardisation etc.

I am not here to show people what I know, rather to demonstrate a better understand of the type of Re-thinking

required for managing for survival. Please read in between the lines and see the underlying intentions, everything discussed

are only models and examples and like I said it varies to place to place according to internal influences and external influences.

Please form your own conclusions.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In theory text books suggest you do a total Stakeholder's Analysis to rank and accord weightage to the evaluators

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Do you consider the Japanese Thomas Cup team mediocre or of consistent quality or having outstanding players?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Write a report to explain failure

Same here, I agree with cobalt; that you have gone overboard with your theory/analysis for bosses/evaluators.

I think, more often than not, one of the reasons bosses tell their workers to write a report to explain failure is just to control the workers. It is better to tell workers to write notes of suggestions/recommendations.

Just imagine this: One day you cooked and your spouse said your dish tasted terrible. Then your spouse told you to write a report on why the quality of your cooking wasn't good.

#244 chris-ccc, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

But I do not agree , it is necessary to write a report on certain failures. It can be misconstrued as an act to incriminate people but in theory, it is to ascertain whether the player knows what he is doing and able to identify his own strengths and weaknesses.Then they will know why they lost or won and be able to perform better next time.
    But it is overzealous and going overboard when you ask people to write a report why they lose 10 out of 10 times.

Even in staff appraisal evaluation forms in the workplace they actually identify your short-comings and request you
    suggest corrective steps on how to improve . That is the concept/principle of Continuous Improvement.

It takes getting used to though and sometimes the way the interview is conducted is more like an interrogation, that's where the resentment comes in.I am sure the so called silent majority here have been subjected to such appraisals/evaluations.Even writing a report is sometimes better than being interviewed by a committee. You will experience all these if your U requires you to undergo a viva before they award you a first class or sth.

No one likes people to comment on their work and check on that work. It all began in the 1930s when Ford Motors engaged

Frederick Taylor to monitor auto worker's work output instead of allowing them to work without monitoring their input/output.

Of course he also suggested that output beyond the norm be awarded bonuses.

The auto workers were very resentful and at first refused to cooperate, so today we have Unions and standard outputs and rates for various industries.It is all recoded in textbooks as Taylor's scientific management and possibly in Wiki.You will experience this if you take a Management program.

But when you behave like that to your spouse I think its time for a divorce.

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Pls read read again post 219 about TCC 's short term goals, it doesn't include producing another LCW.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think American Idol and Britain's got talent may be an example of peer evaluation and judging.

Maybe other sports like gymnastics etc.etc.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Be realistic, rules are meant to be broken. Ask those BAM guys to see if they can keep track or be discipline enough to follow those so called 'lessons learnt'. Most management engage in 'Fear Management' style. Just like politics. ;)

So this goes to say, let the techies rules and just get a few paper pushers or bean counters to work for them. ;) It will be more effective and efficient. ;) Many don't or can't walk the talk. ;)

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The Japanese TC team is more mediocre/consistent than outstanding. The MAS TC team more inconsistent/mediocre that's usually saved by one or two outstanding contributors. The JPN team has an advantage because of PJB,a brilliant strategist and tactician. You can tell this coach has done his homework thoroughly.
    in sports, win/ lose can depend on the form during the match. That's why upsets are common in sports.
    In sports, passion fuelled by hard work is key to producing outstanding players of world class quality and to win the TC, you only need to deliver at least 3 such players.

The corporate system won't be able to deliver because it lacks passion. The corporate system is concerned about replicating consistent quality on a mass basis.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What has BE achieved since Hall? I wonder if KJ has a coach certificate?
    it seems TCC s objective is not to produce another LCW because they can actually be held hostage by him. TCC also seem to believe that by producing enough good players, MAS can win TC. How naive. Why do MAS coaches have to report to a bunch of people who do not appreciate world standards?

if the objective is to just produce enough good players, why are they aiming for TC or Olympics gold? Do they know what it takes tp win TC or Olympics? you gotta deliver 3 world class players, not just one!

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Can anyone tell us how it is expected for LCW to react/reply?

Cannot blame why LCW didn't like the changes either.

LCW wishes to win the 2012 Olympic Games GOLD medal.

TCC says "Hold it, it's not only for you, Lee Chong Wei. We do it for our national interest".

Can anyone tell us how it is expected for LCW to react/reply?
    ;););)

#251 chris-ccc, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  12. extremenanopowe

That 4 letter word followed by 'you' with exclamation mark !!! ? lol. ;)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We shall have no foul language at BadmintonCentral

Cool it. We shall have no foul language at BadmintonCentral. :D:D:D

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

You have to also consider whether the loose system in the past actually run by P.Gunalan is better than the bulky system today. There was even more unhappiness in the past because of this system when everything was decided by one man, there was even more problems with money.You gain something but lose sth else.I wonder if the sponsors or MSN will approve of such a system when you realise the kind of people making decisions ie."corporate".

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I agree with you on last para.Dont you think they are actually trying to build a team from scratch,starting all over. and then build up a team with no heroes but quantity like The Japanese team?

16. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Oh dear *sigh*... not only Misbun, sir... the other coaches too... but consulting and proposing are two different thing... if the result of consulting the coaches was to come out with the so-called new system, I don't think the coaches played a major role to the decision... it can be they advise/propose to the coaches that their plan is the best plan for the future and why not give it a chance... besides, the majority may voted against the coaches desired plans... so, it can be any which I can't 100% clarify since this is only what I think happened... it may be otherwise but to me, it's not consulting... it's more explaining what the CTC wants and hope the coaches support and work along... just what I think la...^^

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

DEJA Vu

I seem to remember a similar predicament in 70s. After Msia failed in Thomas Cup 1970 and 1973 Tan Aik Huang,P Gunalan,

and Ng Boo Bee left. They had to rebuild a team from scrtach and in 1976 built a team of youngsters called Gunalan's babes,

with promising players like James Selvaraj, Phua Ah Hua ,Dominic Soong & Cheah Hong Chong (CHC of this forum).They entered the T final in 1976 and lost 9-0 to Ina. This team slacked a bit in 1979.

After the Thomas Cup 1976 players like Dominic and CHC left for studies as they saw no future.After 1979 the Sidek brothers surfaced.

The past showed that it is actually possible to build a good team from scratch and still perform credibly in T Cup.

Strangely they dont see having a world beater like LCW in their goals in future, perhaps they are thinking of the long term

and a step at a time. It might seem that certain people no longer feature in their plans of building a new team.

Morten Frost was once questioned why after 1 year in Msia why he still could not produce an AE champion ,

his reply was it takes years to develop a player, if I could produce a champion within 1 year the whole world will come

knocking at my door.

18. extremenanopowe

I was referring to 'love' la... lol... make love people.. ;)

was told that japanese also run by many dead woods. Same goes to other countries I guess. The whole of country run by many dead woods in many countries. I guess it will never change. No offence for 'some' good ones. ;)

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Typical of administrators. They want instant results and they just don't realize how difficult it is to produce a World-Beater, especially since MAS has yet to produce any Word or Olympics Champions yet.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    CTC not interested in producing world champions?

Woke up this morning; found an interesting discussion on, that the CTC is not interested in producing another LCW or something like that.

What's the point of having a national association representing the best quality and the best interests of the country?

I had responded to this attitude in a post #534 on the other (Misbun resigns...) thread. Here is a part of that response....