Xue Song (薛松)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by 2cents, Apr 5, 2013.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Just hope it is part of the learning curve, let not disregard the fact that those Japanese players are good players too. We have to face the fact that the rest of the world are catching up and winning are no longer automatic for Chinese players. The 2013 WC already sound the alarm bell. I have no doubt he will bounce back stronger.

2. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

Korea GP Gold:
    Hwang Jong Soo (KOR) - China Xue Song (CHN): 21-12 21-14

what was that? unexpected for me at least...

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

XS will never make it far.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Be patient.

5. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

They played 27-25 21-16 last time, and SX won, and Hwang Jong Soo is no pushover, he won playing Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk on TS's homecourt 21-17 21-13. Perhaps he has improved faster than SX.

6. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Congratulations to Song Xue! Good job winning the India GP title. I've yet to watch the match but it seems like he had a very, very good comeback in the 2nd set. Good for him.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Heartiest congratulations to Xue Song on winning his maiden title, the IND Open GPG '14, after taking garnering two runners-up last year in his debut at the adult international tourneys, namely the AUS Open GPG'13 followed by the New Zealand GP'13.

The manner in which he won it coming from behind and facing near imminent defeat in G2 after being one set down was incredible, an extraordinary fightback from 19-12 down to take the next 9 points and the set to force the decider which he eventually won convincingly by turning the tables on his worthy opponent K Srikanth. A match that had everything, excitement, thrills, a dramatic turnaround, first elation followed by disappointment for one player then the other in reverse feelings; an unforgettable lesson for the vanquished and a memorable, relieved triumph for the victor; an unexpected outcome that would surely play on the minds of both players for quite a long while.

Xue Song would do well to review, reflect and draw valuable lessons from that final match with K. Srikanth, and I'd also add he does the same to his R3 match with Sourabh Varma who stretched him to three hard-fought games apart from the rest whom he defeated emphatically all in two straight sets. I believe this tournament win, his first career victory at the beginning of the year when he just turned 20 a few days ago (born 22nd Jan 1990) is a breakthrough to his young career, one that will substantially encourage and motivate him to scale greater heights going forward.

Upon winning the final point against Srikanth, Xue Song instantly released his pent-up emotion, immediately ripped off his shirt, flung it to the ground, clenched both his fists and let out a yell - such as I've never seen nor thought he would do. May he continue to go from strength to strength and have bigger and better successes in the future. JiaYou, Xue Song !

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

XS (just 20yrs old) will be the next Chen Long... I predict that in the next 2-3yrs, he will be the 2nd MS China player, taking over WZM and DPY.

P/S: Look at the 6 packs after he ripped off his shirt for celebration... wow
    :eek:

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I beg to differ.

IMHO, Xue Song will be the next Du Pengyu.

Undoubtedly, XS is fit, fast and furious.
    But, unless he quickly matures into a thinking player, he will be easy meat for opponents that pack consistency and accuracy.

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    CHN future is bright, with so many young talents plus the current trio and the Generous One on guard. I agree with Oldhand 'XS is fit, fast and furious. But, unless he quickly matures into a thinking player..." XS needs to progress very fast, not for fear of the ROW but more so his own teammates fighting to make CHN elite team. Such is the priviledge CHN has but a huge risk for a young CHN MS player, you are given only so many chances, get it or next.....

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

that's 24 years old

12. rawtiger

rawtiger Regular Member

Self Employed
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

actually make that the next 15! points in a row if you include the deciding game...as he led by 6-0 before Srikanth could score a point...

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My apologies, typo error, should be 22nd Jan 1994.:eek::)

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It seems to me that Xue Song is gradually becoming a thinking player, controlling and constructing the rally to create attacking opportunities rather than trying to attack ferociously as before. I too think he may possibly transform into another Chen Long than Du Pengyu who was a nearly man before winning a single title years later in his career. Besides, DuPY is never known to be a sharp,forceful attacking player that Xue Song is/was(now he is more of an all-rounder); furthermore, Xue Song has a killer smash which is lacking in DuPY's game.

Xue Song's international debut started in April last year and within about 9 months he's garnered one GPG championship at the IND Open'14 plus two other runners-up in the AUS and the NZ Opens in 2013, not too bad for a young newcomer at the adult level.

Noteworthy is his ability to stay calm and focused when facing imminent defeat at 19-12 down in G2 after losing the 1st set against Srikanth and then going on to play a near flawless game to win the next 9 points and the set to force the decider - that to me is a indication of his mental strength and a sign of growing to maturity; nevertheless, still plenty of room for improvement.

16. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I don't really see anything good about Xue Song. His defense sucks. He has no power. He has mediocre smash. His movement is awkward.

I don't really see him amounting to a great player.

17. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

Frankly, he deserved to lose and was on the verge of defeat to the 4th ranked Indian player. He won the tournament but didn't look impressive and he didn't have to beat any good players.

18. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

After I watched the match I must say I was far more impressed with him in the Australian Open than here. K. Srikanth was more impressive untill the super run Xue Song had.
    It felt like the smashes Xue was able to return can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Compared to Srikanth's smash defense, contstantly putting the smashes away, Xue Song's defense seem to lack fundemental skilsl, or more likely that he had some real trouble reading the direction of the smashes.
    He has very, very good reflexes, no doubt that helped his very good return of service. I look forward to seeing how good a badminton player he can become. He has almost all the physical tools to become good it seems. And he's so young still.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    For players in any country that is not CHN, 20 years is young and a player like XS will be a priviledged player. However playing for CHN, XS has prolly 2-3 years to make good, or he can start looking for another career;)

20. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Xue Song wanted badly to lift up the trophy but the prize presenters held it tight for their photo opportunities. That's the funny moment I remember from yesterday's match.

He's really strong by the way.