LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Just curious. What would be the main reason for peoples' objection to the wild card? Is it:
    A. because BWF gave the wild card to a player that already left the competition for such long time
    B. because BWF let a 'miracle' happen to china team, again
    C. because the player that awarded with the wild card is that guy, Lin Dan

Which ONE reason is yours?

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think the strongest argument in favour of granting LD wild card is this: sponsors and fans want to see LD plays against LCW.

The strongest argument against granting LD wild card are these: he did not bother to show up to many Super Series tournaments in the last few years, and, when he did show up, he gave so many Walk Overs to his own teammates.

3. julianng

julianng Regular Member

OK, I mark your word... but how many times has anybody said this before in the past... WC'06, WC'07, WC'09', WC'10, WC'11... same story for LCW.... potential winner... seeded number 1, world number 1 , bla bla bla.... but lost to the MIGHTY GANGSTER in the end...(in one way or the other)....

This year is LDs year again... WC'13 will be a cake... just watch him... not surprised if he came back like in Thoma Cup '2010 to beat LCW so tamely in straight sets and fine style too....(and does the robot dance after his victory like in 2010)

----

#123 julianng, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lin Dan is given a WILD CARD

Don't see why so many BCers have complained about Lin Dan has been given a WILD CARD.

Tournament organisers usually invite back current champions to defend their titles; even after players have announced their retirements.

#124 chris-ccc, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

On top of your comments, another strongest argument in favour of the wild card is LD's past achievement.

The strongest argument is many ppl mixed up the punishment on LD's naughtiness and respect on the achievement of a great player.

LD had been fined for absence from tournaments. He got his punishment under rules. Case settled.

Yet someone wants to use this case to hand him a life sentence so that another guy and his country could be easier to have dream come true with LD's absence in WC.

The world is full of hypocrisy which makes a man used to be perceived as humble person to become crazy due to such selfish cause.

How amazing is human nature...

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I agree with the bold statement.

I also think that the "another" strongest argument against granting LD the wild card is his absence for 8 months during the qualification period of WC2013. LCW, on the other hand, who has so many injuries, continues to fight, despite marriage and a new born baby.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

It is really simple. Is the World Championship better with or without LD? To majority of badminton fans, and BWF, the answer is "with". And that's why he is included.

LD is not an angel. One can certainly fault him for variety of things. All and all, is he good or bad for badminton?

One thing for sure is that he is bad for someone's chance to win the World Championship and that's where the bulk of the resentment from.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For all you know, Lin Dan's wild card may be a blessing in disguise for Lee CW, without attempting to elaborate but I meant it in the good and positive sense. For me, other than these two legends, I'd like to see either Chen Long or Wang Zhengming or both of them in the final. Let's wait and see how events unfold from now on. Frankly, a weakened post-LOG Lin Dan shouldn't be feared by Lee CW. However,meanwhile, I'll be most glad to see Lin Dan steadily regain his form in the next few tournaments and eagerly await his return to the world championship in a blaze of glory.

Anyway, BWF wanting both LD and LCW in the WC is completely justifiable and understandable at this stage while at the same time doing everything else they can to develop,popularize and promote the sport worldwide, the two are not mutually exclusive. Praise to BWF for taking an enlightened approach to award the wild card to Lin Dan which I'm certain it has won the approval of the great majority in the badminton community; I'm afraid the tiny vocal minority who opposed it has practically no or weak ground to stand on. To continue to rant against it is self-defeating for the fans and self-deprecating for the players involved, pardon me for saying.

As far as badminton era is concerned, we're in the beginning of a transition stage with PG and TH out of the picture and both LD and LCW nearing the end of their careers and so far only Chen Long proving himself capable enough to step into their shoes albeit not fully yet, and ,hopefully, one or two others coming up soon.

After all is said and done, in my opinion, Lin Dan more than deserves to be included in this edition of the world championship irrespective whether it's by way of automatic qualification (which should have been the case in the very first place), wild card,'privilege card' or whatnot.

Right, in badminton we've much, a lot more, to do if we are to catch up with say tennis one day and,hopefully,badminton in due course gets the global recognition it deserves by winning the Laureus award for which no-one is more worthy than Lin Dan.

It is time to move on, cast aside any narrow sectarian interest and look forward to what promises to be another exciting,thrilling,perhaps dramatic yet memorable world championship. I certainly do.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As a matter of fact, technically speaking, CMIIW, I don't see how Lee CW will meet more than three CHN players at most. And if Lin Dan is in the opposite half with Chen Long, he will only face either one not both en route to the final.

I'd say Lin Dan's inclusion really cuts both ways for Lee CW, it all depends on how he comes to grips with it. Conspiracy theories or not, whether it's Tay Seu Bok's or Jonc108's, shouldn't really matter so much. As jasontyh put it so aptly, wild card or not, only the best player can win the world championship; it so happened that both LD and LCW have their work cut out for them, for the former it's more to do with the physical whereas for the latter it's mostly the mental.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

By calling him a gangster, it reflects badly on you rather than him. And if he is a gangster, why praise him as mighty, aren't you contradicting yourself?

Besides, how is one who is filial and dutiful to his mother and grandmother as well as doting and devoted to his wife and who has been doing social volunteer and charitable work including visiting disaster sites and slum districts...be a gangster?:confused:

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Who also think that LD and LCW will be "randomly" on their each side without facing each other until the final? :rolleyes:

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Examples ..?

As 108 mentioned Lin Dan has paid the fines accompanying his AWOL but neglected the fact that missing out on the WC is also part of the penalty. Would he have gotten a wildcard if the event didn't happen to take place in China?
    He just had a nice break to re-charge post-Olympic cycle whilst neglecting all his promotional duties for the sake of badminton and BWF now get's credit for giving him a wildcard to the WC for the greater good of badminton :D.
    Guess what: the badminton WC is still a speck of dust on the commercial and press radar. Coverage will be poor as usual ... internationally anyway.

But the good thing is what it will/might generate in China, the commercial value still seems low so putting on a good event there and having all the names present is indeed important.

(and I could care less if LCW wins the title if one wants to counter with that argument)

#132 demolidor, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Well he might actually have [​IMG]. Still need to sell tickets of course ;) (any organizer would want him to show up).

Another precedent set in any case [​IMG]

#133 demolidor, May 14, 2013
  14. weiping_tx

weiping_tx Regular Member

researcher
    I don't have the time to do a full translation, so I just pick the two most important pieces of information I get from this article.
    LYB said BWF made the right decision about LD's wild card, and this is not influenced by the efforts from Chinese badminton community. He also said LD was very happy to hear this news and said he would make good use of the 3 month time to prepare himself well for the 2013 WC.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    According to BWF's website, "China BA will decide whether or not they wish to use wild cards" on 1 May 2013. "BWF to decide whether or not to use BWF wild cards" on 3 May 2013.

Did China BA in fact decide not to use wild card for LD? thanks..

16. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Weiping_tx, thank you very much for your time and effort. :)

Well, he might actually have not. only host nation has privilege to propose a wild card for her players.

Also, agree with you and what Jonc 108 said. despite looking it is an advantage for chinese team, the wild card it self could be a blessing in disguise for LCW. can not wait to see the result when revealing time arrived.

#136 bad's fan, May 14, 2013
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Title holders should be accepted back to defend their titles

There are 2 issues here, namely;

(1) Current title holders and/or champions (of tournaments) should be given the right to defend their titles.

(2) All tournaments should only accept the current top ranking players to participate.

I incline to follow (1).

Unfortunately, our last WC was held 2 years ago. Since then, Lin Dan's ranking has fallen badly. But I would still like Lin Dan to be given the chance to defend his title.

We could continue to discuss this for future tournaments - for example, the 2016 Olympic Games.

If I were in the committee of the Olympic Games, I would vote for Lin Dan to be accepted back to defend his title at the 2016 Olympic Games (even if Lin Dan might have announced his retirement by then).

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

there are different wild cards.
    the one that host nation can use is if none of their players qualify, the bwf's are up to their committee to decide.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Here are the key dates, just in case you guys miss it:

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=23535

Key datelines

Phase one

Thurs, 25 April 2013:

• World ranking date to determine those eligible to enter
    Fri, 26 April 2013:

• BWF will advise Members of the players/pairs that are eligible to enter
    Wed, 01 May 2013:

• China BA will decide whether or not they wish to use wild cards
    Fri, 03 May 2013:

• BWF to decide whether or not to use BWF wild cards
    Thurs, 09 May 2013:

• Deadline for Members to confirm whether or not eligible players/pairs will enter(Phase 1)
    • BWF to publish wild card(s)
    • Host Member Association to inform players granted wild card(s)
    Phase 2

Thurs, 16 May 2013:

• BWF to invite any further players/pairs due to players/pairs originally eligible, not entering(Phase II)
    • BWF to publish Reserves list of players/pairs in order of preference in case of withdrawals/fill in vacancies in draw(s)
    Thurs, 23 May 2013:

• Deadline for Members to confirm whether or not eligible players/pairs in phase II will enter and players/pairs in the reserves list will participate if a vacancy arises in a draw
    Phase 3
    Mon, 03 June 2013:

• Confirmation to the players from the Reserves List
    Thurs, 18 July 2013:

• World Ranking to determine seeds
    Mon, 22 July 2013:

• BWF to decide on the Draw date (provisional)
    • Team Manager's list to BWF
    • Circulation of the tentative playing schedule
    Sun 03 August 2013:Team Managers’ meeting.

• Time and location to be confirmed.
    Mon 05 August 2013: Competition starts
    Sun 11 August 2013: Finals
    Media

• Application form
    Schedule- Practice and Main Court Arena

• Daily
    • Practice Schedule
      • Dome arena S
      • Main Court Arena
    Draw Ceremony: The Draw will take place in Quangzhou on 22 July 2013

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Being so, then CBA did nothing regarding the wild card? it is purely BWF COM 'gift' to LD? and people still blame china team.