Gamma X-6FC - Is the side support stable?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Speedygnomes, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Speedygnomes

Speedygnomes Regular Member

Hi,

I recently received a Gamma X-6FC, and learning how to string racquets. I watched and followed Kwun's youtube video on mounting a racquet. Using the included V shaped side supports and tightened to "finger-tight" and I noticed the following:

- When I hold down the turntable and push the racquet handle, there is some slight horizontal wiggle.

- When I don't hold the turntable and push the racquet, there is no wiggle, and turntable moves smoothly.

I'm just wondering if this is a concern? at higher tension?

P.S. I'm looking to buy new fixed badminton clamps, would WA3242 or WA3342 be able to hold 28-30lbs?

http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Clamps.html

Thanks

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    You may want to purchase these for your V supports:
    http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?product=2963
    OR...get the Chudek Side Supports - See the custom stringing parts thread (I know he has a version for Gamma)

I think quite a few people in the forums have the WA3342. I'd wait for their comments. Maybe they can confirm the availability of this clamp because i recall reading in another thread that the stock was low.

3. Speedygnomes

Oops, typo on my part. I am using those adapters.
    I meant to type "Using the included V shaped side support adapters".

If that slight wiggle is normal, I would rather not purchase other parts. I'm still a newbie, and hoping not to spend too much money until I'm comfortable stringing.

Thanks

4. DarthHowie

If the mounted racket moves under tension, then i don't think wiggle is "normal". I'd probably tighten the side supports a little more.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Get the WA3342, but see if these guys will post overseas - their version comes from a different factory, and has a more "notchy" (i.e. better) locking action.

6. Speedygnomes

Thanks! Just ordered 2 :)

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I've just ordered a new badminton clamp that I've been waiting a YEAR to come back in stock... if it's any good, I'll let people know:).

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Share the wealth then, what is it?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Not till I get the other one - I'm not going to be pipped!

Also getting clamp bases from Australia... why is EVERYTHING I want on a different bloody continent?!

10. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    My next upgrade is to an electronic head, my clamps are doing an ok job at the minute.

11. Speedygnomes

I don't know if I am blessed or cursed :confused:
    After I bought the WA3342 clamps, my friend gave me his spare set of gamma badminton clamps.

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Heh backup clamps are always good. You'll find the Gamma clamps are much better though!

13. Speedygnomes

Just finished stringing my 8th racket (while borrowing and trying some of my friend's tools).

- The included supports are fine. The culprit was a MBS load spreader, which created the slight wiggle. I might look for something different or glue on some grip to make it less slippery.

- I tried the WA3342 and the Gamma clamps, and to be honest, I prefer stringing with flying clamps (orange MBS). I may end up purchasing those, and selling the WA3342.

14. DarthHowie

when you noticed the MBS load spreader wiggle did you try adjusting the north and south posts. That should resolve the issue. After the first 2 pulls on the main's you probably notice some space for the load spreader. I've never noticed my racket shift when pulling the mains.

I was more concerned that your issue was that the racket moved when tensioning the crosses.

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Never mind - it wasn't any good. Luckily, I returned it, saved myself 80-odd quid on not getting a pair, and ordered some of these:

[​IMG]

16. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    [​IMG]

I have a pair of these clamp bases and enjoy using them. If you use the universal clamps from Watdon, the post are too short to activate the gravity release feature. You would need a plastic or metal tube spacer to bridge the gap.

008236708158lg.jpg

17. Speedygnomes

[MENTION=2950]DarthHowie[/MENTION]

The racquet wiggle occurs right after mounting, if I hold down the turntable and push the racquet handle. When tensioning the main there is no movement. When tensioning the cross, there may be slight horizontal movement. Not enough for me to worry, since I haven't tried higher tensions yet. But I will apply some rubber patch and see if that helps.

18. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

I just got myself 2x 9mm steel ball bearings and dropped it into the columns before putting in the clamps and it works a treat.....

Only problem with these base clamps is that I cant quite get it to hold properly and constantly need adjustment of the 2 screws underneath the base clamp to tighten it....is anyone else having this problem with these clamps..?

19. icewater888

icewater888 Regular Member

I had the same problem initially.
    What you need to do is first remove the black cap on the side and loosen the adjustment screw with an Allen key.
    So that you can tighten the 2 screws underneath the base clamps until it is very tight.
    Then go back toe tigthen the adjustment screw on the side until the desired tightness for the locking mechanism.

20. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

I am assuming you tighten the 2 screws underneath whilst the lever is in the locked position, which is what I have had to re-do on a regular basis.

Problem I seem to be having is when I unlock it to move base clamps around, the two screw bolts under the clamp loosens and thus creating a need to re-tighten all the time