Single is being played like Double?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by alfa2, Feb 7, 2007.

1. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    To my knowledge the 40+ years Denyse Julien only play doubles these days. Australia has a Taiwanese female singles player playing who have made it to the quarter finals of the Super Series or Grand Prix events. We also have an Indonesian player who plays doubles with an Australian born player who is ranked in the Top 30 of MD in the world. In the 80s we have a top ranked player from Hongkong (later Taiwan) called Sze Yu who played for Australia and was in the Top 5 in the world.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are quite up todate, I am impressed...Julien (you even spell her name correctly hahaha!) does play WD this days but I think she did win Canadian WS or runner-up....on the light side, at least Canada is represented by her own people, born and raised here...AUS depends on imports, but what the heck, if it works why not? hahaha!!! LOL!!:D

3. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    I know Denyse Julien from the 80s and 90s because she use to be quiet good in singles and I think she did well at the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah we are hoping that the imports will raise the level of badminton here in terms of skill and popularity.

4. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    Ok, i am from Aus, here is my point of view.
    firstly for the "can a parson be the best in the world at both". it is extreamly hard, near impossible for a player to be singles, doubles and mixed champion, purerly because is takes different training to become a master of one of them, and for a player to be the best, they must dedicate all their time towards one thing, otherwise they would not be the best at any of the events.
    Howard Bach may have taken tripple title at US nationals, but compare him to say Lin Dan, Taufik, LWC, Peter Gade, he is not nearly their standard in singles, nor is he Nova Widiantos standard in mixed, this is because he doesnt train 24/7 for singles or mixed, he is mainly a doubles player, the only reason he did so well in that tournament is because his skills are far above the rest of the US players (except tony gunawan, but i dont think he played in the singles and mixed competition). The only player i know of to have made it far in more than one event (except doubles and mixed) was Ong Beng Teong, as far as i know he was world no.1 in doubles, then quit that, and focused only on singles, where he reached world no.5 or something.
    as for a game between aus and canada, i think Chai-chi (noted she is an import) could take anna rice or who ever is canada's ladies singles, canada would win mens singles, it would be very close for mens doubles, Aji sindoro/ashley brehaut, currently i think world 28, would be close with the milroy brothers, or that mike beers guy. as for ladies doubles..well who cares, and mixed, i dont know the canadian pairs, but Aus has 4 pairs that are roughly even, so i dont know who would play, whether it be Erin & ben, ross & tania, Glen and susan, or Aji and peggy(though she isnt national squad), but yeah, if we played each other, it would be a very close tie

5. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    sorry paulet jr but i seriously dont know half those players you mentioned in your post. hehehe........

6. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    yeah, none of the mixed pairs are very high, you have to be from here or new zealand to know who they are :p

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    LCW has changed his game style back to a stroke player lately.........seems working good for him........

8. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    i think this would mainly be because hes defence is so good, he is handling the rallies, and can take what ever the opposition is giving him.
    and he still has that amazing cross court slice to win the rally when his opponent is slightly out of position.
    as long as its working for him though

9. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Juat add my two cents worth.
    Badminton is an evolving game. In the 70s, you get to see different style of play from different countries. The Malaysians were usually like stroke playing , Danes all round touch play at the net or back. The Indonesians are more varied, you have stroke play with attack or attack with stroke play.
    The Chinese were attack attack and more attack (actually came from the Indonesians as Tang Hsien Hu, How Jia Chang and Fang Kai xiang were Indonesians train by Indonesian BA before thay were forced to migtare to China in the 60s).

One of the 1st to adopt so-called double style in singles was Punch Gunalan who was All England champion with Ng Boon Bee in doubles and when he played singles he just play net waiting for the high lobs and then smash.

However in the late 80s and early 90s, you see convergence in the sylte of play of the singles. Players from different countries began to adopt styles from other countries so musch so that that singles players are not very different from each other in style technique and strategies. Varaitions are still there but quite hard to find.

As for LCW's stroke play and over head slice, those are trade marks of his coach Misbun Sidek. Misbun, especially in the early 80s used a lot of delayed overhead strokes and chop smash from the right court to the left court. Only difference is that LCW does it faster and in mid air as well as lots of smash thrown in, Misbun rarely smash.

In the early 80s Misbun used to beat Prakash Padukone, Icuk , Morten, Luan Jin and Han Jian although he never won anything major the others fear playing against him. Come mid 80s, Misbun's play were plagued by inconnsistencies and he werent taken seriously after that.

10. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    LCW has changed his game style due to his knee injury which surprisingly won him the 1st FO, reversing the chronology evolution of how single is being played. Misbun must be very proud of him. Maybe some other country can import Misbun after 2008??

11. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    haha, he can come to australia!!!

12. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    but does the roti canai and teh tarik taste as good as those in Malaysia?? Misbun gonna miss those........:D:D:D

13. winnie

winnie Regular Member

there, he wont hv good sparring partner! so he cant improve further

14. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    we are talking about Misbun, not LCW..........:D:D:D

15. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    yup, and i was being pretty sarcastic, why would such a coach come to a country where badminton is such a minorit sport

16. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    to promote roti canai, teh tarik and badminton............:D:D:D

17. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    a little bit off topic

describe the meaning of Badminton for australian.

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    yeah right..haha
    acceptable..

19. winnie

winnie Regular Member

wahaha.. opss.. cos i was thinking, if misbun go to aussie, lcw might follow! hehe loyalty to his coach ma:p:D:D but i dun hope so la.. hahaha:D:D