ANNOUNCEMENT: new Karma system

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Ever heard of the one about God's and Caesar's?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    nope, u can pm me about it

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re-visited some old posts, and I think we should really be serious about the "-" karma for now. Even myself back then, try to encourage members NOT to pay too much attention in Karma, as it's just a reference.

However, during one of the most recent debate, poor cooler was picked on regarding his Karma. Not only he received flood of "-" in a span of 24 hours, but also the debating opponents were picking on him, and trying to re-direct others members regarding cooler's karma. The intention is to make whatever cooler's point to be "less trustworthy".

I am not taking on cooler's side with my eyes closed, even if in that debate, seems he's on my side. If you are here long enough, you know cooler does contribute to the community in various ways. Obviously not by providing live scores or putting on videos. I show full respect to the ppl who make the tournament threads to be informative and fun, but I also want to show respect to others, who contribute in other ways.

There are numerous times, cooler and myself are on the opposite sides regarding certain topics, but even after a debate, I still respect him as an older timer and valueable member of BC/BF. I do know Karma does not cost us an arm or leg, but to see a fellow old timer, being picked on, being embarrassed, being humiliated due to the fact certain ppl abuse the system, I still feel hurt. :eek:

Be serious about the responsibility, and be friendly. Karma should be a tool to enforce the "good behavior" but not a tool to "label my opponent". :cool:

#183 LazyBuddy, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm starting to agree with you about this, after you, LB and twobeer published some of your karma comments.

Abuse of negative karma could discourage well-mannered but controversial posts. Polite controversy is healthy!

Positive karma can still be used to reward/recognise/encourage helpful posts.

#184 Gollum, Oct 11, 2007
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thx for your support there LB.
    Negative karma dont affect me but rather it let me gauge what % of posters out there are borderline dementia cases and from which countries as well. I only make suggestion to the karma system because i want to close the loophole in it. U know all engineers like to fix things;)

#185 cooler, Oct 11, 2007
  6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    may i correct you on that one?
    i read some of your posts, you are unlike to be that engineer to fix things, you are an engineer that create new things. proposed some valuable informations that you did.....:)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    keep the comments coming guys. i won't be able to make any decision till the end of the day if i survive, otherwise, i will do it tomorrow. i am jam pack with work for the whole day today.

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I'm not bothered by whether the feature exists or not.

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think we should terminate the Karma system.....

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no rush kwun, we will survive;)
    It's is better to think it out and implement a good change rather than a quick change. :)

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    maybe cooler should be 'act' politely,
    i never heard cooler said 'I also want to show respect to others, who contribute in other ways' or fisrtly i appreciate what you have done to bc be fore he gives opposite posts or make an accusation

if he does.. i bet he won't get many bad karmas from many ppl here :)..........

hey i remember cooler gave me a bad karma, whereas i was just joking with him :(

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Cooler's just ... direct, like I am long-winded.

He's not bothered with pleasantries, just commentaries.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hey, i did give u credit... like i said in another thread, 'indra and taukist' now have a more' realistic outlook on taufik. For cooler, that is an improvement;)Don't expect me to butter u up and slop all over u :p

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Cooler, the imagery of you slopping him with butter is not a very pleasant one.

15. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Although not a victim of any bad karam yet, I fully & whole-heartedly support this idea. It looks like this feature has been used to abuse more than reward.

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's sad how everybody is giving negative karma to everybody who argues that China is not 100% guilty of cheating. I'd like to see kwun outright ban those kinds of threads and warn/ban people who even bring it up. Over the past few days, this topic has spread from the macau open thread, to the thread over in the general forum, and it's just getting out of hand.

17. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I don't think this Karma thingy is working at the moment. The US and Macau Open threads are the best example of BC members abusing the system. Everyone giving "+" and "-" without even thinking if the person's post deserve a Karma or not. IMHO, I don't think one should give a Karma just because he/she agree or disagree to a person's post, or, worse still, just to support the person you know (with the exception of Kwun I guess :p).

In the above mentioned threads, Cooler was given so many "-" Karma that his status changed color from green to red (US Open) and grey (Macau Open). In my opinion, if Cooler deserved a "-" Karma, he should only get 2, one on each US and Macau Open, and not something like 20+ Karma (How many "-" to get red color anyway?). Having said that, within 24 hours, Cooler's status also changed back to green color. I assumed that Cooler also received same amount of "+" Karma to cancel off his "-". No offence, Cooler, but I don't see any of your recent posts deserve that many "+" Karma either. It only means that Cooler may have known enough members or has supporters to provide him with the "+" Karma. Or he might have done it himself, painfully. In the end, whether it's a "-" or "+" Karma to Cooler, this only shows BC members abusing the Karma system or should I say the Karma system is not used to what it's intended.

I would suggest that only Kwun and Mods are allowed to give Karma. Since they are the ones who decide what is right and what is wrong, they should also decide which post deserve "+" Karma for useful contribution and "-" for wrong doings. Kwun and Mods don't have to take this as additional workload but consider this as some kind of a Karma/Fate experience. When you come across a post that deserve a Karma, you do so, but if you miss a good/bad post, maybe it is fate that the member does not deserve a Karma. ;)

18. gundala

gundala Regular Member

private

good post... i can't resist to give u good karma lol :D

19. gundala

gundala Regular Member

private
    hey .. remember me.. forgive me to ask ..do u have a heart..? don't you care about someone's feeling or your heart is frozen...

20. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

What has this got to do with the thread topic????

I really wish all of you who is not happy with Cooler would stop posting all this unnecessary comments. It is so childish!!! and turn a thread from good/fair to absolute rubbish for all other readers.

All of you are trying to make a point. That's fine. But when it gets to a stage where the thread get closed by the Mods, it only means one thing, enough is ENOUGH!! Why start polluting other threads???

Man, I should go out and play more baddy than reading all these rubbish. :mad:

*Kwun/Mods, feel free to delete this post*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.