Contact point on racquet head during backhand serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by 604badder, Jun 14, 2005.

?

where do you contact during a backhand serve?

1. near racket top

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. sweet spot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. near t-joint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I hit near the racquet top, from a low position. Works the best for me, though my coach warned me to serve from a higher position and hold the racquet near the cone, but I tend to hold the racquet near the butt-cap. I think that as long as it works well for me and it isnt considered a fault, I should keep doing that.

2. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    I agree with Gollum that majority will be the sweet spot.
    I would said its best to get the basic right, sweet spot first and then try other options to improve. I believe many advance players will hit nearer on the top. (my opinion). Contact on racket head is a very good skill. Fully agree here.

A trick that i have expriment is, hitting the bird on the 9 o'clock of the racket face (backhand serve for right hander). Adding a light clockwise turn will force the bird to go further with the same service strenght. This advantage can be use for serving to the further front corners. (normally when we serve to to the far front corner we will have to use more strenght). Opponent will have less clue that you are serving to the far front corners.
    Also using the same concept, one can hit the bird to the center using very little motion. With less then a normal serve motion just add a little twist on the racket (just like turnning a screwdrive). It work for me.
    Critics are welcome for comments :)

3. Im Dehydrated

Im Dehydrated Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm, if the place to hit for the optimum power is not as efficient with energy transfer as the sweet spot, why dont they modify the frame to move the sweet spot upwards to give more leverage and energy transfer efficiency?

4. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I serve like that too, maybe around 9-10 o'clock position

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    They tried... it's called an Isometric head frame:p.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The pros and cons of the ways we do a Badminton Service

For the Service, making the contact point away from the sweet spot will give the server a more sensitive feel 'at the point of impact'. But we have to state/comment whether we are doing the 'Low Service' or the 'Flick Service'.

Also, if we are to do the 'Low Service', we have to comment on how the Service is performed. Some of us hit the shuttlecock, some push the shuttlecock.

For the 'Low Service', we should get more accuracy when we push the shuttlecock, IMHO.

However, we must learn to not disclose our Service... whether Low/Flick/To which part of the receiver's court.

As I have said in various threads before, it is not easy to put down in words how a Badminton stroke can be played. We need a demonstration of it.

And we need experienced players/coaches who have studied/analysed a stroke to explain all the pros and cons of what/how each stroke/action may produce.

:):):)

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I have been trying to serve doubles backhand serve with a reverse slice and with the shuttle cork/base at 90% to the stringbed. The slice is from right to left instead of from left to right. If done well the serve wobbles and is almost unplayable; it also drops onto the floor faster. But it is a very difficult serve to do it well and the percentage of it going wrong is high.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    There are also pros and cons for being a right-handed or left-handed player

:D:D:D taneepak ... Again, we have come to another stroke which is easier to be done for a left-handed player... the Service that you have just described.

Many comments have been made about the 'Sliced Dropshot' performed by a left-handed player. :):):)

Yes, there are also pros and cons for being a right-handed or a left-handed player as well.

#68 chris-ccc, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Actually, it is the same slice motion, irrespective of whether it is executed by a right-hander or a left-hander. In the doubles backhand serve, the short serve that is sliced in an unorthodox way, namely from right to left for a right-hander is the same as one that is sliced from left to right by a left-hander. The serve/slice movement is inwards not outwards. An outward sliced serve will not make the shuttle wobble. Only an inward sliced serve does funny things to the shuttle. Serving with an outward slice is easy because of your hand's natural tendency to move away. With an inward slice serve, the movement looks like a side-to-side slice with no foreward movement of the racquet, which makes it very difficult to master this type of serve.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

As an experiment, I tried hitting serves from near the top of the racket, and I was astonished by the difference it made. The serve trajectory become much less disobedient and, despite a few ballooned efforts (due to me getting used to the new technique), I was clipping the tape and grazing the service line at least twice as many times as before.

I'll try hitting from near the throat on Friday. I am theorizing that since the (racket) throat is closer to the serving hand than the (racket) nose is, any variations in power will be cut down to the minimum by serving from here.

11. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    How do you mean slice serve? Is spinning the shuttle not illegal in service?

12. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Yes, spinning the shuttle is not illegal in service.

13. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    I haven't really noticed where my contact point is for my backhand serve.
    I'll check it out later today and tell you all later.

14. Nextech0

Nextech0 Regular Member

I used to serve on or near the sweet spot, but my doubles partner suggested I try hitting the bird near the top of the racket and have been doing so ever since. I slice serve on the sweet spot still, but everything else is near the top. I find I can keep my short serves consistently lower this way. Also I find it way easier to drive and flick serve. I noticed I was sometime unintentionally slicing the bird before, which led to problems with my flick serve.

15. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I ave just employed this new technique into my serve. My serves are more consistently lower to the tape now but I find a lot of my serves are short than wot they were before but I ave practiced last 3 times hitting 300 serves in total and I am now getting the distance pretty good.

This is a great technique! Keep it to urself now guys lol. For the serve can b a great weapon esp in doubles for getting on the attack! :D:cool:

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, sometimes just trying new things does certainly help. Just little things like the way you hold the shuttle, the grip, stance, set up. Never hurts to try :)

17. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Hmm. Don't know if it's something peculiar to where I play or get coached but I've always had the explanation that you always hit your serve with the top of your racquet. Nothing to do with sweet spots but keeping the shuttle still.

Reason being, if you try & put the shuttle at the sweet spot the majority of your hand is in the path of your swing. The only way to serve is to let go of the shuttle, get your hand out of the way and then hit it.

If you hit it with the tip of the racquet the majority of your hand is not in path of the swing. You can let go of the shuttle later, so it doesn't start falling & the angle of the cork doesn't drop toward vertical.
    This means you don't have to track how it's falling, you can aim the shuttle at the tape. You can also look at the tape as you know where the shuttle is.

18. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    The actual proper way of serving is to perform slice serve when you serve with backhand. Because when the shuttle is strike, the shuttle should fall onto the service line because of the speed and the rotation of the shuttle.

Striking the shuttle at a serve on the T-Joint, Sweet Spot, or Racquet top will not cause this effect, in fact serving it on the side of the racquet will cause this effect.
    Much like when you perform a slice- drop shot you slice the shuttle on the side of your racquet not the top, sweet spot nor t-joint.

19. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

It's illegal to slice in the serve... The rules quite clearly state that you should hit the cork first, hence slicing is illegal.

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your premise is correct, but does not entail your conclusion. Spelling out your argument (with unstated premise):

• Premise 1: the laws require that the server's initial contact with the shuttle shall be on the base (cork)
    • Premise 2: all slicing involves contacting the feathers first, or the feathers and base together
    • Conclusion: slicing is illegal on serve

The second premise is false. Slicing sometimes involves contacting the feathers first (or together with the base), but this usually leads to your losing control of the shot. Indeed, it was this "out of control" effect that led to the S-serve being so effective: it was reportedly impossible to track the shuttle, which swerved and tumbled crazily.

More often, slicing involves hitting the base first. You may then go on to hit the feathers too, or maybe not.

You can play slices without contacting the feathers at all; so it's perfectly possible to slice the serve legally.

#80 Gollum, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009