Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker

Good, you need to be more attacking to get the first initiative , no disrespect to the other player you playing against , but you had more in the locker , you are quicker around the court and more decisive.

A few things you might want to improve on , such as serve.
    try to cover all area of the court. take big steps (skips) instead of taking little steps , you should be able to go from one end of the court to the other within 3/4 steps , you were abit static , and during a rally you need to come back to the central position and ready for the next shot, use open stance , react quicker and read what your opponent play. Those are just the general things I spotted.

The stance for net play is front foot forward , racket out in front and keep your body straight and inline with the racket
    (not rushing into the net )

anyway , you are a good player in the making:)

#641 staiger, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Thanks staiger.

I have only been playing for about 1yr ( I had played previously but gave it up when I was 12 and started again when I was 14)
    The one thing I didn't expect someone to say was that I am "quicker round the court" I think although my movement has improved a lot. I am still extremely unfit, I personaly feel that I would be a lot better if I raised my personal fitness levels. Then I would be a much better player. I am currently ranked for my age group (U17) but I am looking to get into the top 40-50 in the next 6 months.
    I would agree that I am decisive, you have to be in badminton as the speed is so quick. I like to play a defensive cause I have a good defense (I think)
    Regarding serve, well I am still not sure which to go for, I like to serve forehand but when playing against the school of sport players you have to serve short cause there smash is quite powerful and in a tounament you don't want to go out first round. Any ideas wheter I should serve high or short ?
    I was probaly quite static cause of the 3hr training session before the video was taken.
    Thanks for the advice

3. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    If you serve high then try to serve to your opponent backhand corner and the shuttle need to travel higher .Try to hit a few short serves as well to make your opponent think.If you use a backhand serve , you can very easily disguise your flick-serve, with a forehand motion, it is much more difficult.
    You need more punch in the smash, quicker wrist-snap and acceleration your forearm . Relax your arm as well.for backhand (half-court ) smash ..you can get plenty of power just by relaxing-tighten of the grip.

4. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    1.Though this will sound rude im not trying to be and i know your still young in the under 17's but unless things have really changed in a year since i left under 17's you wont get into the top 40-50 in the next 6 months unless you get intensive one on one coaching and then it would still be a challenge. Unless you mean scottish ranking? if so ignore all the above i dont know about scottish standard or numbers of players

when i played under 17 there were over 850 in the badminton england ranking system and the top 100 were very high standard players constantly changing in the rankings because they were all so close.

2. if you want proper feedback dont film yourself when your... tired/after a tournament/jog/skipping contest/press ups/football match/sat down for too long etc etc

otherwise no one will know what your actual playing ability is...

#644 noppy, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

i was talking about scottish junior singles rankings. Currently i am 65. But want to get it higher.
    I will film another video next time i am training, and i have a tournament in two weeks so there will be a video of me giving 100%

6. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    well that should be an entirely possible achievement

i await your video

if there is a viewing balcony ask a friend to film it from up there it usually gives a better video

7. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    ( week one routine)
    Practice , practice and more practice ....then coaching , coaching and more coaching.......then 5-6 match play , gym ,...then watch yourself back in the video and see where you need to improve on.. Never mind 65 , you would be in the top 5 if you stick to the routine. If you want it so badly , you got to push yourself and show that you are determine, you only live once ! come on you still young ...

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

there is a viewing gallery, but I am unable to film from it, as the attendants are very strict on filming and cameras, at the moment the camera Is on my phone in the front pocket of my bag. And only the camera part is showing, I am sort off getting away with it at the moment, for the tournament I will put my bag behind the court and put it on a bench for elevation to get a better angle.
    I hope I achieve getting in to the top 50 for singles (doubles although I am good, I don't have anyone to play with:crying: that is good enough) therefore, I tend to just concentrate on singles.

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think I might try that staiger, maybe not to that extent till I have finished my exams, but in the summer I will definetly try it

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

before I post this video, THIS IS NOT ME THIS IS babyface
    He posted this in his thread entitled "Li Ning package finaly arivied in the UK"
    If you have read that thread you will know he had. Tournament at the weekend, this is the first game, www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4KRQ1fxrY
    He is closest to the camera

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

would like to give some feedback to babyfaces video.
    Firstly I counted 4 return of serves that went out, which means you gave 4 points to your oponent with all he having to do I serve, your serve Is good but needs to be more consistent, if your opponent is able to smash off serve then you haven't pushed the serve far enough. That's some short things I noticed straight of.
    I think you could have had a chance against this guy if you had cut down on the errors, although you did play very well for your first tournament.
    Towards the end of this 1st game you seem to lose interest even though you are only a couple of points behind, if he has put you in a difficult position then you need to play to his weakness, from what I saw it was on his backhand, when near the net, also try and keep the shuttle as flat as posible, as this gives him less options with what he can do.

So to summmarise, work on return of serve, as this is key in the rally, play to your strenghs and take opportunities when you get them. And always If it's a tournament give 100% as you have one chance.
    That as some quick points I noticed
    Good luck for future tournaments

12. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    comments for babyface

foot work: you just stand upright whilst waiting for the player to attack which inevitably results in your not returning his smash

racket: fair enough if your still getting used to it but if not then dont give your racket the 'what did you hit that wrong for' look so much

hold your racket higher with the head up more

defending: dont take all the shots to the side of your body so close take them in front of your body it will give you more shots available to play
    (example 1.31)

deception: your slice/dummy smash drops are good but thats the only shot you try to decieve. do some flicks of the net like the guy in black was doing

he was quite nice to you by not playing very many to your back hand

your opponent needs to relax and not worry about getting the shots so close to the net

oh and just a general not take your shots higher a fair few times you take a shot after its drop and its at shoulder height

noppy

ps. get a head band they really do help keep hair out the way

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

@babyface curious as to which shutles you used in that tournament, they looked very durable

14. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    they were yonex as 40 i believe and they were soooo slow...

15. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Noppy: lol.. i was due a hair cut, but couldn't get one in time due to the chinese new year lol.
    As for the other comments, i will take under consideration. Most of the comments i already noticed myself.
    With regards to the racket and constantly looking at it... i think it was a sub conscious thing.. blaming something when in doubt or losing.
    Thanks for watching anyway.... i guess i can only learn more by playing better players..

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Why do you get so angry when you play? Hitting your leg, blaming your racket ("the look"), giving up rallies, etc.

This is what I'm seeing from your body language in the 2nd game too.

17. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    lol... the hitting of the leg is just a simple habit to tell myself to wake up. As for giving up... i have no idea what that was about, but try to understand. i have been playing for only a little while and this is my first tournament in badminton.
    Also, i do give the shuttle when i dont hit it over the net, it just he mubbled to me that he had it every time i was walking

18. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    2 shuttles a game that isnt very durable

@ babyface 'As40' and 2 shuttles a game i wont be buying them:eek:

19. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    ps. from the few smashes i saw they were powerful use it more otherwise u will come across and opponent who can read the drop, i was exactly the same as u loved drops but people read them and tho i dont really like smashing i have to now to win

20. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    As 40... didnt buy them myself either... supplied by the tournament.
    I actually love smashing, its just i felt sluggish that day and just resorted to dropping. i actually smash more often than drop on a normal day.