Custom-Made Stringing Machine Parts

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Dec 24, 2009.

1. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Yes - it is a very good likeness isn't it. This one is made under license to Klip in Australia and is similar to the Klip Gravity. However, the fixed clamps and base looks very much like the Gamma Progression II like in this link http://www.photostringer.com/gamma_progression_ii_602fc_01.htm which gives me another idea, because I wanted to get the Wise 2086 tension head too, and this machine has one fitted.

Actually on the cost, I have a garage full of metalworking equipment, so if I don't find a use for it, my wife might decide that it is rubbish and try to get rid of it. Now, all I need to do right now is to buy some material so that I can put this equipment to some use.

2. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    It should be easy fitting a Wise 2086 Pro on that, all you need is the DW adaptor. You can probably make one, but screw holes are angled slightly on the bottom of the Wise 2086 Pro.

3. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Ok, let me fix up my badminton supports first, then see if I get enough stringing business to justify the Wise.

4. CovinaStringer

If it's anything like Tennis stringing, 50 string jobs and it's paid for.

5. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Yes, the last time I strung a tennis racquet was a couple of months ago when my son broke a string. I stopped doing stringing for a long time when I started travelling through APJ in the past 14 years, but now since that has stopped and I am looking for a job, I will be getting back into stringing. So far, had one customer last week - need to canvas a few clubs and see if I can pick up more business, otherwise I will need to start advertising. Maybe even get certified too! Not much of that in Australia though, but I know some stringers are certified with USRSA so maybe that is what I will look at.

6. CovinaStringer

I'm certified, but the test is somewhat lacking in terms of proof of proficiency. IMHO it's a waste of money, but being a USRSA member does have some benefits. There is one USRSA MRT certified stringer in Melbourne. I think he's the only one certified to give the exam. The written test is more on marketing and racquet technology, than actual stringing. The only difference between an MRT and CRT is the MRT test has more questions. MRT cert is only good for a year, and then you have re-test every year (and pay again), if not you get downgraded to CRT which is practically Lifetime, as long as you are a member of the USRSA. I know quite a few stringer that are not certified, that string at many Pro and semi-Pro events. Then again, I know some certified stringers that can't string to save their lives.

7. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Ok, I was thinking of just the Certified Stringer qualification. I am unlikely to do a lot of tennis although that could change, and most likely not doing customizations. I do know a couple of MRT's here in Sydney - maybe I will go and have a chat to them next week and see what develops.

Thanks Covina,
    -John

8. CovinaStringer

The test is based on Tennis, because that's a majority of what is sold. Though they don't cover a lot of Badminton, Racquetball and Squash, other than print the string patterns. The test is pretty much basics of stringing but not a complete proficiency of all type of racquets and string patterns. In fact you choose the racquet you want to be tested on, kinda bit cheating if ask me. I used a Prince POG 14x18 racquet for my test, because you are also timed, I chose the easiest racquet to string. You also have to string a 2 piece pattern with Natural Gut crosses, after changing the grommets (which you provide) and build up the grip with a sleeve then wrap a new grip.

9. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Hi, I just wanted to provide an update on my add-on clamps. Here is a more or less final prototype for my Klip machine. I found out that my mills are slipping in the collets because the collets are a bit big - i.e. a 12mm mill in a collet that takes 12-13mm means that it is gripping at the smallest which is apparently not very good, so I will get collets that are 11-12mm instead.

DSC00164.jpg

The grid is 1cm each to give a size comparison. The white stuff is Tool Magic, a poisonous carcinogenic substance that puts a rubber coating onto any metal like my aluminium. This is two coatings - dip it in and remove it and let it dry, did this twice. I have already strung two racquets with these supports and the gripping area still looks fine. My impression is that I should replace my existing supports would provide better clearance for getting strings into and out of grommets. Anyway, this is working for the moment, as I had to remove them to string a tennis racquet today, then I will go back to badminton.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can you post a pic of them mounted on a machine/racket?

11. CovinaStringer

I've seen that stuff also, here in the US it's called Liquid Tape.

12. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Kwun, post #139 above shows one of them mounted on a post - without the white rubber stuff, and just for testing. I already removed them to do a tennis racquet. It takes a couple of minutes to remove and set up for tennis. I will take another photo when I set up for badminton next time.

13. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    This is from the US.

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00167.jpg
    Read the warnings...

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sounds a little scary. A quick search told me only that the ingredients are proprietary but that the solvents may include Fluosulfonic Acid and Hydrogen Chloride. Two lovely critters that will put holes in your clothes (or your eyeball) in no time if you splash.

How long does this stuff claim to stay on the metal before wearing off? Wouldn't some sort of rubber tip be easier?

15. CovinaStringer

The bottle does not last very long after you open it. It's kinda of like opening a tube of Crazy Glue, it's useless after a week. Just don't sniff it and use it in a well ventilated area.

16. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    This is basically a rubber coating. It should last quite some time and it shouldn't be poisonous after it dries. The bottle says that it contains "petroleum distillates, heptane, xylene, methyl ethyl ketone and ethylbenzene". The solvents I believe are to keep the rubber in solution. Just don't drink it, eat it...

17. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    I will let you know how long this lasts. It did not have a seal on the bottle, just a normal plastic top - so I have closed it firmly and will leave it on the shelf until I need to dip something again.

18. CovinaStringer

Methyl Ethyl Ketone or MEK is a solvent similar to Acetone. Very flammable and dries quickly.

19. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Kwun,

Hi. I put them back on after I finished with the tennis racquet. Here is how they look on the machine, then a couple of closeups to show how it is mounted on the supports.
    DSC00169.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

I just remove the bottom red pads before I mount them. I just leave the big bolt in it, and the smaller machine screw is to lock it as a failsafe. Removing it is easy, just loosen the big bolt, remove the smaller machine screw and slide it off.

The Muscle Power 2 is not mine... I was stringing it for a customer and found the tension was not right so had to restring it.

#159 johnlowe88, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  20. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Yes, maybe I should have gotten the Wise. I found out I was using the wrong scale on the dropweight bar. The bar has two scales on it - the upper scale and the bottom scale. The upper scale is in Kg and has two numbers - one above the line, and one below the line - I have now worked out that the number above the line is for Tennis, and the one below the line is for badminton. On the other side, it has lbs similarly with tennis above the line and badminton below. So it looks like I was stringing was appeared to be 22lb and was actually 16lb - that is why my new racquets don't seem to be performing. I had to restring a customer racquet again, the MP2 and have restrung one of mine and will try it out in an hour or so.