Record of walkover and retired between same country player since 2006

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by limsy, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    just like I said before, every country wants to fulfill the maximum quotas, so CBA has no other choice besides this w/o or ret tactics

2. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    it seems that u dont understand my previous post. no other country ? yes. bcoz BWF only targetting china players. If BWF also targetting KOR, INA, DEN...that is 3 spots in top 12 instead of 3 in top 24, then we will see more w/o or ret tactic by those country, bcoz it is very hard to achieve lol

3. sen

sen Regular Member

Are you lazy ? I have replied this. You can check the ranking page. You can check badzine. You can do a google search.

I wrote this again :
    Shizuka Natsuo/Mami Naito were ranked 7 but did not go to Olympics because there were 2 higher ranked Japanese WD.

4. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    almost every Indonesian media report the same, surely it is right. check this article (March 2012) : http://metrotvnews.com/read/newsvideo/2012/03/28/148059/PB-PBSI-Upayakan-Firdasari-Dapat-Wild-Card/4 or this one : http://www.tempo.co/read/news/2012/06/04/100408235/Firdasari-Terpilih-Maju-ke-Olimpiade-London-2012
    thanks. But still, china suffers the most

5. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I missed it. no need to angry. If you are nice, I will be nice too

#245 Fortune, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. sen

sen Regular Member

That is a fallacy. It is not proven. CBA has choice to do the tactic or not do the tactic.

If you withdraw money from ATM and find out that you received 1 extra note, most people would keep the money but there will be some honest people who will return it to the bank.

I have met such people. I employed him because I valued his honesty.

So not all countries will do that tactic. I would say most countries probably yes.

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Too many assumptions. China already proved it, they don't need this tactic from 19XX - 2001

8. sen

sen Regular Member

You missed my point. I am not against you or against anyone.

I like to watch any good players. I am amazed by the skills of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli even though I seldom watch women doubles.

I disagree with the tactic. You also admitted that it is bad tactic. But I will not say that because of rules, everyone has to do bad tactic. It is a choice to do that tactic. I agree that most will probably do that but you keep arguing that all will do that so it is not CBA to blame.

9. sen

sen Regular Member

I think this thread is going to be closed soon because too many off topic. So I will not post anything else after this in this thread.

10. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Why so? This thread has been going on topic and very well updated until some errant weed barged in and wreaked havoc. :confused:

Will you leave your house if it's haunted? Simply perform some "exorcism" to clean away "evil spirits", that's all you have to do. ;)

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Whoa, Fortune, I've to hand it to you. Where do you get all the energy and patience to do the research-based argument? But I'm afraid all your time and effort doing those painstaking research might be wasted though I respect you a lot for it. One look at the thread title and OP should surely and immediately tells you what it's all about, no need to spell it out. I always bear in mind that when emotion comes in the door, reason is thrown out the window. Still just reading your data is beneficial, your views and conclusions aside.

On whether walkovers and retirements are good or bad, right or wrong, it's for BWF , the world governing sport body to which all the member associations are subordinate, to decide and deal with them accordingly. I'm sure every member association will do what is in their best interest and maximize their chances of winning within the rules allowed and taking into account their players' condition and readiness to compete, simple as that.

What "exorcism of evil spirits"?! I trust BC forum is a rational,enlightened platform and that's what every forum member should strive for.

12. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Let's put it this way : China players can win even if its fair and square, and there is a high % chance of winning. But they are presented the choice to further increase the % by using the walkover method. So, will you do it or not?

Some countries like China and Korea do, while some don't. That is where the debate goes. I personally don't like this and there can be some moral debate about it.

HOWEVER, what happens is there have been attacks on the China team for using this method, but not about the moral issue, but saying that it is blatant cheating that caused them to win. This gives the impression that if China wins, its because they cheated and they don't deserve anything. Hence, China fans have the need to defend their team because it is also extremely unfair to say that China can only win through cheating because they really have a strong crop of players.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Badminton is a very lovable sport for those who take it seriously .. Some guys are masters and some are beginners. Masters need to act as working principles to younger generation. With that kind of background, If they love walkovers and all other short cut routes to achieve things with some attitude(like we are superpowers. We can do anything :eek:) , definitely this will affect not only badminton but also its followers. We can't say simply that these walkovers can only be dealt by BWF and cannot be done by any other individuals :rolleyes:.. Anybody can raise their voice against the evil thatz happening in front of them .This is called fighting spirit.
    Whatever be the data represented and shown for defending their act as right, that wont conceal the truth.:).

#253 scorpion1, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  14. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Okay, I've seen many views on why deliberate walkovers/retirements are done. With my 1,86 GHz brain, however, I can sum the reasons into these:

As long as nation [blahblahblah] gets the gold medal.
    As long as nation [blahblahblah] is the overall winner.
    As long as flag [blahblahblah] is the highest.
    I'm doing my country proud.

Everyone, accept it. This is the very root of the problem: Nation over badminton.
    This is where nationalism/patriotism can harm the sport.

My last post in this thread. Ta-ta. :cool:

15. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    First of all,Why are you comparing past with present.May be the past was unfair and the present may be more fair.The BWF be doing it for benefit of the game.
    Now for your argument of #9,#10 players not able to play but 50,60,70 ranked players getting chance.
    I am giving you an example from tennis doubles in london olympics.A player ranked 12 did get chance but a player ranked above 200 got chance.But no comments that they are being unfair to them.
    And for the last,As you have said Indonesia got a wild card in WS.This statement is absolutely wrong.She was given "Re-distributed unused quota" which was the same with Li Xuerui.

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

There are already a few threads on this issue, including discussing BWF policies, in which each side of the camp have given the points of debate many times. Whatever it is, neither camp will change their minds regardless.

As for Olympics, there is quota system for every sport if not mistaken. England being the host, was hit when the Cycling Association changed the rules from 2 per country in 2008 to 1 in 2012 and certain events only top 2 from the whole region get to go. After some grumblings they lived with it & move on.

As for the view the if other countries have the ability, they will surely employ this tactic, not necessarily so. Sports in democratic countries is different as it is using taxpayers money(one reason). Public outcry, players/athletes filing complaints, calls for officials resignation,etc,etc can happen. Examples of these have also been given in the other threads.

This thread is for presentation of data, for the BWF policies discussion, perhaps find those threads and read and continue

17. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
    wildcard?? :D:D

18. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    simple. In the past, the regulation quite fair. That's why the rate of w/o or ret by china players was very low : 0.86 %
    just answer my question : if lower ranked player can go to WC while higher ranked player can't go just bcoz the quota / country, then where is the fair ? if saina nehwal can not go to WC just bcoz she represent china and only world # 15, while world # 150 from XYZ country can go, is this fair ?
    first, the #12 player represent which country ? Second, where is the final ranking prior to 2012 OG so I can know which country suffers the most in table tennis
    As long as I know, LXR qualify by the regulation, while INA WS qualify by wild card

19. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    as reported by almost every (if not all) media in Indonesia. I never heard INA WS qualify to OG not by wild card.

#259 Fortune, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  20. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    if china choose not to deploy this tactic, then we will never seen Chen Jin playing in Olympics. very simple.