Victor Super Waves 35

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chungjun, Oct 2, 2009.

1. xcuseme

xcuseme Regular Member

web designer
  2. xcuseme

xcuseme Regular Member

web designer
    Sorry for double posting, i forgot to put a small review on this racket (3UG3).

Pro:
    - stock strings tension is pretty ok
    - very powerful racket, so easy to reach backcourt
    - awesome looks
    - it's ok even on net play and defense

Cons:
    - the victor logo painted on strings faded away after several hours of playing
    - discontinued :(, so you should buy it now

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I am still struggle to get used of SW35 after i had a few sessions with it.

I found it is hard for me to retrieve back smashes from opponent accurately. Always shuttle hit on the frame. This is not happened when i use AT600 or even my 5 years old Prince TT3000.

4. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Do you guys have more success with this racket at higher string tension (>24 LBs) or at lower tension (<24).

Thanks

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

whichever string tension you usually use, you should stick with that.:)

6. Densha

Densha Regular Member

Student
    I have received my SW 35 with some other victor stuff, I cannot do any review yet because it is too soon but here are some pics :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

anyone have any input on the 4u version of sw35?

8. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    However if you've bought it fully knowing that it will be too stiff for you, you'll need to lower the tension :)

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Slightly less power, better defense over 3U

Yeah, thats a good point, it would depend on what you used previously.:)

10. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Comparing sw35 to yy ns9900, which one is stiffer? And by how much?

11. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

SiW35 is about the same stiffness as NS9900. SiW35 is slightly head heavy while NS9900 is head light. So, if you're wondering about the difference while pounding both with the same fierceness, then, that's probably where the feel differs which ca be misconstrued as stiffer or lighter.

Neither is less stiff...both are in the ultra stiff category.

12. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Thanks. I compared the Sw35 to my yy ns9900, I felt my sw35 (24 lbs) has slightly more vibration than the yy ns9900. Is that normal? According to elaine, Victor has no problem with vibration at all.

But seems like not so... perhaps thats why they are came out with the "shockless" technology in the new BS12?

13. RSLvictorSOTX

Although mine are strung at 26/28 and 28/30 respectively (btw, the 26/28 is a better setup for me), I haven't experience any kind of vibration nor did I with my NS9900. The difference probably was that my JP version NS9900 came at 2UG3 (reason why I stayed with the grip) while my SiW35 came in at 3uG5 (both sticks), therefore I tore off the stock grip and slap in my own grip, as a result no vibration (However, I can not be sure if it would've been any different had I use the stock grip.).

14. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Your own grip on yr sw35.... may I ask what grip is that? Thanks

15. RSLvictorSOTX

Karakal PU super grip (replacement) and Yonex super grap (overgrip).

16. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    may i know which string you used?..

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. so here is my review on the Victor Superwave 35.

as some of you already know, i have a very high regard for the SW35. to me, the SW35 is like AT700 done right.

i borrowed a demo SW35 from racketsupply.com, the US distributor of Victor, for 2 weeks to test.

the SW35 was strung with BG65 at an unknown tension, frequency shows that it is somewhere around 27lbs but with the tension loss of BG65, it is hard to tell what the original tension was. either way, it was to the stiff side.

the racket was a 4U spec, but even so, it feels heavy due to the balance. the SW35 is head heavy, VERY head heavy.

however, it is only deceptively heavy. even though it was at the top end of 4U, it is still 4U light and have very decent maneuverability.

power is one of the main strength of the SW35, every time one pushes it hard, the SW35 rewards the player with a very fast and power boom that propels the shuttle forward at great velocity. the impact is hard, crisp and solid. i have never experienced any racket that feel as solid as the SW35. it stand out among all the Yonexes that i have tried. it is pure pleasure to smash with it. however it is not the most forgiving racket so i would not recommend it to a beginner.

the other strength is the feel. very very few rackets in the market actually poses a good feel. in fact, only a few top end racket has it. what is feel? a solid impact and feedback back to the player hand. most mid and even some high end rackets have a hollow feel to it. many other good rackets, like AT700 / ARC10 / etc have a much more pronounce solid feel and crisp feedback. the SW35 however, is in its own league. each impact produce a very solid feedback, like hitting with a steel rod, yet it is light and critically damped without any excess vibration. that is priceless.

the stiff shaft plus a solid feel makes control excellent. touch shots are very easy to make. torsional stability is very well controlled. off center shots do not go way off.

most importantly, the racket is very lively despite the stiffness. any squeeze of the fingers or snap of the wrist the shuttlecock bounces off as command. the crispiness of the shot is unrivaled by most top end rackets from other brands.

speed however is not the best character of the racket. with the super head heavy balance, even though it is faster than the Armortecs, it is slightly slower than the Arcsabers and Nanospeeds. this makes the SW35 ideal for attacking doubles players who like to hits lots of power shots at the back courts. which i believe is why this is the racket of choice for Jung Jae Sung.

while speed is not the best for the SW35, defense is not only about speed. the liveliness of the racket makes up for the lack of speed. a tightening of the finger and flick of the wrist is enough to give the SW35 enough velocity to bounce the shuttle back deep into the baseline.

having said all those, the SW35 is not the most forgiving racket, you as the player need to have enough power to propel it in order to take advantage of the stiff yet lively SW35. beginners without a lot of strength will unlikely to find it an appealing racket. while the bar of entry is high, when one has the ability to command it, it is one very very sweet racket.

overall, i am extremely impressed by the SW35. so much so that i plan to get one for myself. as for whether it will unseat my most beloved ARC10, it remains to be seen. it will be a tough decision.

18. txv611

txv611 Regular Member

Kwun,

Just curious when you said you estimate the tension based on the "frequency" of the sound you hear.

Assuming that I have 2 different brand rackets, will they sound the same frequency at the same tension?

I have hear people saying they can judge from sound but doesnt the sound produced also depending on the material of the rackets?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends more on the shape of the racket than the material. it also depends on the type of string and tension, as well as how the stringer strings it. there are many factors thus the actual tension is only an approximate.

20. SlaShEr

SlaShEr Regular Member

tinkerer
    Hello Kwun,

thank you very much for the review..even more, it's from a hardcore Arc10 owner.

upon reading your review of your 4U Sw35, saying that it's a tad slower than the Arcsabers (3U)..I must say it does makes me abit scared of getting the 3U as I am a 99.999% doubles player.