Do you prefer isometric or oval head rackets?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ttktom, Sep 29, 2003.

?

do you prefer Isometric or Oval?

1. Isometric

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Oval

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I prefer iso it just feels more natural

2. what07

what07 Regular Member

Does the magnum from Black Knight have an ISO shaped because of it's larger sweet spot??? How about other brands like Head and Wilson???

3. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Off Topic: It was the 2006 World Cup finals.

On Topic: I prefer an Iso shaped racket because I'm just used to playing with them (Has only half a year) I can still play well with Oval shaped rackets but it just doesn't have the same feeling, plus the sweet spot is alot bigger :D

4. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Er i think it's the the way around:D
    The Black knight Magnum has a larger sweet spot then the oval shaped rackets because it's an ISO.
    All brand nowaday's (Correct me if i'm wrong) Now have ISO shaped rackets, other then the cheap dollar store rackets im using :p

Haha Joking

5. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    Several Fireblade type from Carlton still oval head and Mizuno is combination from oval & ISO :D

6. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Whoops! I meant that all brands now carry ISO shaped rackets and some still do carry Oval, took a look at the black knights at my local store, most of the rackets were oval:eek:

7. jwu42

jwu42 Regular Member

Histotech
    I agree with the comment that regardless of shape of frame, proper technique will allow you to hit that sweet spot consistently regardless. The other factors such as weight, balance, and length play a bit more part in adjusting for me.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is not true that an iso has a larger sweet spot than an oval. Sweet spot is not an area, and the reasoning that an iso's larger area should have a larger sweet spot is not correct. The sweet spot is a point, a spot, somewhere in the center of the frame. Such a spot has the same small size for all sizes of racquet, whether iso, oval, or an elephant-size iso.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sweet spot is an AREA

You are so wrong Mr. Taneepak. I'm surprised u don't understand this concept at all OR yonex has been lying to us since the introduction of isometric rackets.

About.com: Tennis
    Definition: Every racquet has three different sweet spots, but in a general sense, the sweet spot is the area of the string bed that produces the best combination of feel and power.

Merriam-Webster
    Main Entry: sweet spot
    Function: noun
    Date: circa 1949
    : the area around the center of mass of a bat, racket, or head of a club that is the most effective part with which to hit a ball

From Wiki.

Attached Files:

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Also, Yonex uses the term effective hitting area which is also miss interperated by taneepak to be the string bed.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Give me a powerful racquet with a very large iso head, with a so-called large sweet spot, and I can change it to lose power, simply by changing the sweet spot. Same racquet, same string/tension, same iso head, and same stringbed area, but why a loss of power with a slight change in the sweet spot point? BTW, the change does not involve any use of lead tape or changes to the grip. According to many tennis experts this cannot be done but I do it quite easily. All it takes is to think and work out of the box.

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Somewhere between sweet spot and losing power, I lost exactly what you are trying to prove or disprove. Please be more explicit about it.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A sweet spot is a point-let us say about 11cm from the tip of the racquet-that will give you an effortless feeling of hitting a power shot with the minimum vibrations. Some say a larger head like an iso-shaped racquet has a larger sweet spot, meaning that even on off-center hits you will get more power than from an oval racquet. What I am saying is that this is not true because I can make that iso racquet you have to change its sweet spot away from that 11cm from the tip-as a result no where in your "changed" iso racquet can you hit well. Now where is that so-called enlarged sweet spot? In comparison with well tuned oval racquet your "changed" large iso racquet will lose power.
    My point is that the real sweet spot is a point and that point can be adjusted, and the best way to do this is not by using lead tapes or add/minus grip mass.
    If a powerful iso racquet can be adjusted to lose power, likewise it can also be adjusted to have more power than its original state.

14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Assuming that the point really did move, are you saying that a point can but an area cannot be moved? How is your experiment proving that the sweetspot is a point but not an area/region?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Let us take a badminton racquet because it is the easiest to see. Take a strung racquet and use your left hand to hold down the handle on the edge of a table, with the frame facing down and into empty space. With your right hand drop a shuttle from 2 feet high onto various spots of the stringbed. As the stringbed is like a trampoline you will note that the areas towards center have bounce, more so than near the edges especially at the tip end. Now if you have an iso frame, which is larger than an oval, you have a larger bouncy area. This is the misleading term racquet manufacturers would have you believe-they call it an enlarged sweet spot. Now you tell me where is the real sweet spot? Is it the spot with the greatest bounce? Of course it is not. If not, then where is the sweet spot?
    You give me your best racquet and I will return it to you after one hour, and you will know the sweet spot has disappeared-because it has lost power. But the racquet will still exhibit that shuttle bounce all over the stringbed, no less than before I made the change. Don't worry, I can make your racquet revert back to its old and original state, but it will take another hour.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    don't know what ur talking about.

with no change of sweet spot, racket, string, or tension, i can lose power by easier mean, i just mishit it (outside of sweet spot):rolleyes:

17. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    even i am confused... wht does it mean to say tht u can make the sweet spot disappear on an Iso... ???... talk is whether ISo has a larger sweet spot or not...
    infact... now tht we have a thread can anybody help me with wht othe diff does a Iso and oval racquet have??... lets say u have both 3U.. flexi shafts... so apart frm the sweet spot thing wht else diff do they both have??

18. tanta58

tanta58 Regular Member

make the sweet spot dissapear?? nv heared of tat b4:p But i noe higher tension has a small area of sweet spot while lower tension has a larger sweet spot:D tats wat i feel when playin with diff tension, duno if its truth:rolleyes:

19. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    but this still leaves my query unanswered... whts the diff between the 2 racquets apart frm the sweet spot size???

20. tanta58

tanta58 Regular Member

Iso equalizes the length of main n cross string in the stringbed, enlargin the sweetspot wen u didn't reali hit the center....while oval has a small area of sweetspot. Duno if tat help u:rolleyes: mayb u juz wait 4 other wu hab better knowledge wib badminton to answer u:D:D:D