Why Did the string Broke in first Shot.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by aqua26, Dec 21, 2012.

1. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    Hi got this racket for stringing yesterday I strung that racket using Yonex NBG95 With Tension of 23lbs Mains & 25lbs Cross. Today After playing one shot the string broke. What might be the reason for this. 2012-12-21 18.44.46.jpg 2012-12-21 18.45.44.jpg 2012-12-21 18.46.41.jpg I am Re-stringing the same racket with same guts with same tension What can be the chances of breaking the string.

2. GNW-001

GNW-001 New Member

Check to see if your grommets are sharp because sometimes old grommets or exposed graphite can cut into the string.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The relative lengths of the broken ends suggests the string snapped at the fourth or fifth main from the edge; had it broken at the frame, the strands would be more equal in length, so I doubt the grommets are at fault.

That area is not normally clamped, so it could be that the string got twisted while you were weaving the crosses, but sometimes it just happens.

#3 Mark A, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    The racket is very New just 6-8 months back when I strung it had the original guts on it. I checked the grommets none of them are broken, damaged or has a cut in it. That's what is surprising me. I am very sure that it was not twisted at the time of stringing coz I use this crossway stringer. I could not find any scratches which might suggest damage at the time of carrying the racket or getting brushed at the time of picking shuttles. Is there any other reason why it broke or it is just a bad luck of the player.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It coulde be a various of factors:

1. String twisted durng string
    2. String "burned" when pulling cross, usually due to "Turbo stringing"
    3. Damaged string to begin with, due to manufacture defect
    4. String damaged due to gripper / clamp edge / tightness
    5. String damaged due to broken / splitted gromment (not necessarily the ones next to it). Since the stringer needs to pull the whole piece of string when waving / going through gromments, it can be damaged elsewhere before being tensioned here.

6. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    You all seem to be looking at the string, stringer and technique.... um... what about the player:

I'd say the string broke because that's an off centre hit. Typical off centre string breaks are at the top two or bottom two corners. This just seems to be a rare case.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This was the result of a not so off center hit (4-5th main from the side), that's why people are excluding that theory.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Check the clamp. The string most likely broke on 3rd main. I see a small indent (or could be) on the 2nd cross on the right.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If off center hit, there should not be this much difference in length for the 2 broken pieces.