quick yonex/asics question...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by amleto, Jun 19, 2011.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I currently use yonex shoes, but find they wear to fast on the leather and a friend suggested asics is much better. I need to know if yonex sizes are slightly different because I can get a better deal from online and dont want to have to send them back :)

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Generally speaking Yonex makes much better badminton shoes than Asics.. I am not even sure Asics makes any shoes developed for badminton at all. They try to sell handball, volleyball and or general "indoor" shoes to badminton-players.. I think it kind of sucks if they cannot even put the effort in to develop a badminton-shoe!!

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

4. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

5. dnoah

dnoah Regular Member

Sales
    which asics shoes model suitable for wide feet?

6. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    i use gel balde 3 ... it ain't bad at all in terms of everything ..

7. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    u r wrong.
    mizuno and asics sell their shoes to earn for living...
    so their development is top class if u got the chance to peep on this RnD office...u will shock
    they dont need to put much effort to develop baddy shoes as its consider less complicate for them.
    those running shoes and other indoor shoes were much effort due to a more complex environment.
    u are sure to easily find a few good baddy shoe under their brands...

for yonex, i must say their baddy rackets were top class..not doubt!
    i can see they put much effort on their baddy shoes...aside from power cuhsion and egonomic shape/size i dont see other make senses to me...like 3 little lateral claws feature, playing with colors strips, more sadly others so call feature where copy from well known sport shoes makers which nothings new...

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I agree with this.. big shoemaker like Mizuno, Asic, Adidas, Nike, Li-Ning etc. has bigger resources to produce high-end shoes.. However
    Only Li-Ning and Yonex have FOCUS on the shoes constructed with the specific need for badminton (lateral-movement, stability, cushioning, grip-areas etc..)

I think this is bu**s*** runningshoes or basketball shoes and general "indoor shoes" are overall worse designs for badminton. Usually they lack stability, and dont take into account the fencing-like movement when the "back-foot" is draged during netplay etc.
    I have tried some really good shoes by Mizuno but Asics, Nike adidas has really failed to impress me for baddy.. their indoor shoes generally feels less stable and not very good for launcing to the net etc. (usially to soft at the toes etc).. I have seen many (even pro players9 using shoes basically designed for handball (which I think is the closest fit, but not perfect) and they are usually to little heel cushoning etc.
    The Japaneese teasm use Mizuno shoes (but those where designed for baddy).. I am very unipressed with Asics.. They are great with shoes, and shoe quality in general, but I think player using them makes a poor choice.. Better to stick with YY (or Li-Ning for that matter that has some great shoes ONLY designed for badminton like the new metal-X model with many "badminton-features")

I agree with this the top SHB are really great baddy shoes.. I would like to mention Li-Ning as well. Li-Ning also being such a HUGE shoemaker (much larger shoe producer than the likes of Asics etc) and very focus on badfminton with the Chineese national team, I would say LN are probably the top-dog when it comes to ability and resources to produce top-of-the line baddy shoes.. I have just gotten the metal-x model and it seems engineered with a focus only for badminton :)

9. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    bro,
    i do not say using running shoe or basketball shoe design for baddy.
    its totally 2 diff apple for application, common senses.

if asics and mizuno failed to impress than dont stop but try harder...check out the forum to see what common baddy shoe they are using. if still failed then use reverse psychology, glue the yonex logo and put it on asics shoe and try them again...of course your friend need to secretly do that for u !
    anyway, if yonex is ur choice then go all out for it...no hard feeling but just my kind sharing...

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Sorry i have to disagree with twobeer, Asics shoes are the best badminton shoes i ever used. They're lighter, softer cusion, very flexible and comfortable (compare to YY). And put them side by side to Yonex shoes, Asics shoes look so much better. Asics shoes also IMO also perform as good as YY in term of its grip on the court, but having the advantage of last longer and marginally cheaper than YY shoes. Yes its not solely designed for badminton rather to captured a bigger market they often marketed as indoor/squash/court shoes. I will always go for Asics before Yonex.

I strongly recommend Gel Blade 3 and Gel Blast 3

#10 Yoppy, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Seriously for the same amt of price paid, i think i can get better asics, mizuno shoes as compared to Yonex which durability is always an issue for me....cushioning and support also quite good for a overweight and flat-footed guy like me

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I know some pros who use Asics and swear by them. But I have never liked them at all (tried varies blades etc).. especially the toe area is to soft and as someone said in combination with being a bit narrow the stability, especially with launges and defense, is not optimal in them.. The sponsored players I know have Asics because Carlton and some other brands dont make shoes, so to provide free shoes to compete with Yonex, Li-Ning, Forza etc. they obviously do not want to endorse shoes from badminton-gear competitors so Asics was used. But if you let the pros choose freely (cost not taken into consideration) most usually think Yonex and Li-Ning (and some also Mizuno) are the greatest.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying asics sucks, for badminton (there are other non-baddy shoes that also are "ok", like Adidas Stable, Nike Multicourt etc). but If you are looking for "perfection" for badminton performance, I think LN or YY is the way to go currently..

My 2c.

P.S. I currently play myself with Mizuno shoes, and are quite happy with then, so I do not feel I am biased here :) And I guess it may sometimes also be different for differnet player styles and movement if the non baddy-shoes work OK... its a pretty big difference i think from a slighlty overweight control-palyer to a in-the-shape-of-his life attacking jumpsmasher, and rusher :)

#12 twobeer, Jul 25, 2011
  13. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Ok , unless you are an advance player or above the asics indoor shoes are fine even they are designed for other sports generally (squash).and the difference would be barely noticeable

If you are an advance player or pros than the Yonex shoes are specially designed for badminton , for example the SHB 92MX is regarded as one of the best , but it does wear out very quickly..

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

On the same note, Im sure many pros would use Asics if not because they already tied in a contract with Yonex, Victor and Li-Ning as they dont have freedom to do so. So lets not talk about the question of "if" since its not gonna happen.

As I said I found Asics shoes are very good and I dont think I will switch back to YY anytime soon, I just dont think YY is serious enough about making shoes, its just another line that they have to sell as the premium badminton company. Asics OTOH has long history of making good shoes, so to me if you want a good shoes then go to the shoe maker. YY shoes are not bad, just not as good as Asics.

15. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    i fully support!
    do anyone notice yonex and li-ning shoes, they just good in playing with coloring on the shoe...purely for marketing
    feature wise there not much to offer ...
    so what next ?

16. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    Same deal with rackets, wouldn't you have known by now also?

Never had luck with Mizuno or Asics sizing and have always used Yonex or Victor. Thanks to twobeer, am keen look into Li-Ning's new offerings.

Justin.

#16 justinwyyau, Jul 25, 2011
  17. victor_rs

victor_rs Regular Member

asics the best..2nd mizuno...only newcomer like yonex n li ning..:)....dont angry...

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Not the same as racket, it's the bread and butter for YY. As you may know YY company started in fishing equipment industry, so no wonder their rackets are among the best in the world. Not to mention Japanese grade carbon is the highest standard in the world. The tech improvements YY made all those years is really the benchmark in the industry. But not can be said the same as to it's shoes.

19. justinwyyau

justinwyyau Regular Member

Husband and Dad
    I didn't meant it specifically to any brand. Any shoe or racket for that matter, serves its intended purpose and to what degree one model outdoes another model from another make, to quantify it is a matter of 'my **** is bigger than your ****'. People wear whatever floats their boat, Asics for you and whatever that fits my feet that is on sale and in size :)

OT: Slack on my part, I admit but I was just having a go at him as it was ironic of him of all people to make that statement.

<hugs Yonex SHB-100 LTD> ... *I won't let them bad people hurt you*

#19 justinwyyau, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

To quatify? How about telling your SBH sorry that he won't even survive his 3rd birthday :)