Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydeep

jaydeep Regular Member

Thanks copadh, for sharing this interesting info.

2. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

3. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    she's just 19...i believe many more glories will come ...China trops beware from now...

4. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    India has only one competitive WS so far: Saina.
    While China...well, a legion.
    India needs 2 or 3 more good WSs to give enough threat to China WS force...

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Monday, 22 June 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BAI announces cash award for Saina

New Delhi: Badminton Association of India (BAI) president V.K Verma has announced a cash award of Rs.2 lakh for Saina Nehwal for her title triumph in the Indonesia Super Series Sunday.

"Saina Nehwal's title win in Indonesia is a moment to cherish for Indian badminton. We have announced a cash incentive of Rs.2 lakh for Saina," Verma said.

"She has been the flag-bearer for Indian sport in the world. Like Prakash Padukone and then Pullela Gopichand, Saina has emerged as an icon for youngsters. Indian badminton will gain from her achievements at the international level," Verma said.

Verma said a lot of young players have come up in the junior ranks and Indian badminton is looking up.

"There are many junior players who have performed well at the international level recently and we are hopeful that in the coming years the sport will achieve more success at the international level."

Verma also thanked the Sports Ministry for their support in providing training and sending the players abroad.

Source: IANS

Attached Files:

6. swapnilsauti

swapnilsauti Regular Member

Student
    Hey can ny1 giv me d link of d video of that match -saina in finals in indonesian open...

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

8. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Too early........Only 1 win in the SS and you put her with The Legendary Susi Susanti, WC and OG??:eek:

9. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    yes we never knows who will be suprsing us next ? but no party can dominate a category most of the time........

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

;)..The world is waiting for the next Susy Susanti or Ye Zhaoying or Tang Jiuhong..

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2009 Indonesia Open: Saina Nehwal won the Womens Singles title

CONGRATULATIONS TO SAINA !!! :):):)

Saina would be moving into the Top 5 WS World Ranking soon.

12. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Yes I believe so. She is fearless, has a very strong desire to win, she believes in hard work, and she's a smart and fast learner too. Susi Susanti also had all that traits.

Saina is still so young, if she fails to grab WC title this year she will still have many years ahead ia. I believe she will achieve what Susi once achieved. I hope she proves me right. Lets just see how she progress.

#272 Ningtyas, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    aditi and sikki is growing,just wait:p

14. lexluthor1975

lexluthor1975 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    just to check how she has improved, i watched her game against Maria Kristin Yulianti in the OG quarterfinals. Gill Clark is right, her net play has improved a lot. in fact, i think it's one factor that she won the game. she is just better than Wang Lin at the net. also she is more patient now, specially in the rubber game, slowly setting her up for the winner. in the OG quarters, she's just too impatient trying to kill the shuttle immediately. well, i look forward to her winning more major tournaments in the future so that it won't just be China dominating the women's singles event....

15. ways2rock

ways2rock Regular Member

Student
    The commentator of Trans 7 said Saina trained since she was 8. her training was pretty hard and full of discipline- she ran nearly 50km everyday, according to the commentator.
    She sure want it so bad; I am moved by her determination and hardcore will!

I agree. Wang Lin is quite impatient on long rallies... and I notice she has a lot of openings here and there for Saina to attack, while Saina just stay calm and collected, find the right place to direct the shuttlecock, play great netting... and there she is. Patience do pay off in her case.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Saina can become World No.1: Padukone

The Hindu
    June 22, 2009

Bangalore (IANS): Saina Nehwal, the 19-year old from Hyderabad, is currently the "most complete player" in Indian badminton and has the making of a World No.1, says 1980 All-England champion and former World No.1 Prakash Padukone.

Speaking to IANS here on Monday, Padukone said that Saina, who won a Super Series tournament in Indonesia defeating two top Chinese stars, has all the attributes to become a World champion provided she keeps her focus on her game.

Considering that Saina is just 19, Padukone felt that she can improve further. "She is the most complete player in Indian badminton now. Saina has an all-round game. She thinks and plays, and I feel, it is a lesson for all our top Indian players. All she needs to do now is to maintain her focus and work hard," he said.

Padukone cautioned against getting swept away by the euphoria and accolades. "Yes, people are bound to celebrate and let them. The media will be after her, but they are only doing their job. Her job is to concentrate on her game. If she does that, I am certain she will become World No.1," he commented.

The 54-year old maestro who runs an academy here, felt that Saina, presently ranked No.8 in the World and likely to improve her position by a couple of slots following her Indonesian triumph, has the three fundamental attributes that makes her a champion material.

"The three things that set her apart are the physical fitness, a sound technique and mental toughness. She is fearless and plays to her strength, like she did in the final yesterday. I watched the third game and I thought she played quite brilliantly.

"She was very strong at the net and used the dribble effectively as also some deception. In fact, the Chinese girl (World No.3 Wang Lin) looked totally out of place. I am trying to get a copy of the tape to show it to my wards at the academy," he said.

Initially trained by Md. Arif and subsequently Pullela Gopi Chand, the 2001 All-England champion, Saina is undoubtedly the best woman badminton player India has produced, said Padukone referring to yesteryear stars like Madhumita Bisht (nee Goswamy) in the 1980s and Aparna Popat in the 1990s, both of whom showed rich promise but never quite made the grade at the highest level.

"Madhumita was fast and fit, but mentally not tough enough. She did not get much international exposure. Aparna was technically very good, but she got down to physical fitness rather late when she was 16. In comparison, Saina is much fitter than the other two, more determined and definitely fearless. She is not concerned about her opponent's reputation unlike most Indian players," he opined.

Looking ahead and reflecting on his own experience, Padukone said that Saina would now be under more pressure. "The expectations would be much higher now. I can say from my experience that staying at the top is more difficult than getting there. She should not worry about her ranking or points, but focus on excellence. The rest, like awards and accolades, will come automatically," he pointed out.

Asked whether Saina should play in domestic tournaments or shift her base abroad like he did by moving to Copenhagen, Denmark, after winning the All-England crown, Padukone said: "If she plays in home tournaments, the benefit is for Indian badminton. Obviously, her participation will be a big draw and will attract more sponsorship etc., and Indian players will gain by playing her.

"We have good infrastructure and facilities in India and so she need not shift her base abroad. It was different in my time. She has reached a stage where she only needs to ask and it will be given."

Padukone further hailed Saina's success as a huge boost for Indian badminton. "She is a role model for young Indian players," he said.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Our members in India should direct Padukone's attention to post#12 in this thread :D

18. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Then you should also highlighted Wong Pei Xian from Malaysia also. She is also still young....

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That's Julia Wong, isn't it?
    She is one up on Saina :)

20. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    yea.. she is :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.