What Would You Do With BAM if Tomorrow You Are Given the Mandate To Run It?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Bbn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

All this talk about MS vs BAM, i think needs a reminder that it is MS vs CTC/ BAM ,not all coaches vs CTC/BAM

Other coaches have not made any protests.

I think there is sth wrong with the Men's Singles Department long before Li Mao's time, after so many years
    there is only LCW,WCH and HH. Everything boils down to the Men's Singles dept esp.MS not happy with the CTC or
    with the BAM and it may be confined only to that department called Men's Singles.
    Previously coaches did not need to report to anyone, now they report to a CTC, that's why the CTC is now a hate target.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And are the other depts doing well?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

WS- Wong Mew Choo really developed under Li Mao, also under Misbun and for some reason (your guess is as good as mine)
    got seriously injured,but now is under Wong Tat Meng The Uber cup has in recent years surpassed past performances with
    budding players like Tai,Cheah sisters and Julia Wong.
    WD- For the first time WS had a Msian No.1 pair. Also Msia I think has graduated in the Sudirman Cup league.

MXD- For the first time we have a credible MXD pair who have won a SS?
    MD- Still Ok with KOO/Tan, Tan /Gan and upcoming pairs.

MS is the problem with only 1 LCW to be taken seriously after he joined the circuit (2003?).The 3 singles for Msia have been LCW,HH and WCH.

Indonesia is weak too in MS but at least 3 players not just 1 now looking up to Li Mao to take them higher

with several independents.

Are the other departments doing well? The MS dept.not really progressing is the MS and as can clearly be seen is probably because too much has been focused on 1 player, why, that is the question.

Let the others involved in Msia badminton answer.

#43 Bbn, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

And as a matter of fact even MS had already stated that

many juniors cannot come up because they have to spend too much time on their studies

for fear of becoming drop-outs and also that there is a sentiment that they will never come up because LCW is always there.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

If you want to compare with Thailand, Ratchanok at 15 is already playing in the Uber Cup

and the senior circuit, but that is probably because she is able to beat players older than her

and is there by sheer ranking, probably true of Sapsiree too.

Ranking could be a reliable way to judge how good a junior player is.There must be a problem here as to

how juniors are identified and recruited and trained, and that may be the reason for Hendrawan's presence.

Think of the implications if juniors are allowed to leap-frog over higher ranking seniors, the morale will surely drop.
    Unless the juniors can beat their seniors.

I think Japan & Korea have very young and ever changing teams.Msia's CTC is now acting as a hatchet man.

6. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    I think it's the elite back-up players who, perhaps, can't get use to MS discipline in training and again, lacking in determination... To stay focus in the duration of the game also seems to be a big issue (as reported by Rashid today)... If it's me, I will not give them another two years... that's too lenient... one year or less is more than enough... I have other potential youngsters I can develop and I do believe MAS has a bunch of those young eager talents waiting to shine, why waste my time and effort on players who can't keep up... :rolleyes::rolleyes: My next words have nothing to do with venting out anger/frustration over my inconsiderate, stubborn, a pain in the-you-know-what boss... it's just a simple description of how I will handle BAM, given the mandate to do so... ;)

If I were to run BAM, I'd be more strict with the players and I'll keep them motivated throughout their career, to dream big...

1-I will send players to study in BJSS and collaborate with BJSS so that exams should not interfere with players sport schedule... there should be no conflict in which players can't concentrate in training due to study/exams and vice versa...
    2-I will give them six months full training and involvement in local circuit and another six month probation period in the international GP. The next six month would be to improve on their ranking and players with significant development will be sent to more international tournaments, because they should learn to earn their spot in the national team and they need to hold on to this principle throughout their career... I won't pity failures without conviction/even blindly...
    3-After reading much about administrators/managers, I've decided that I'll put admin to just do the admin thing... no involvement in the coaching and training whatsoever. Managers, I might need some to manage the players well being in every tournament... as usual, I also hire some physiotherapist, nutritionist, psychologist etc to monitor the players health and needs as far as physicality is concern.
    4-Hire some great brains to get BAM all the sponsorships/deals/money (you name it) that we need.
    5-As for the hot seat to monitor and manage the training and coaching, I'll take the hot spot myself :D:D:D... since I don't easily believe in others to do it, I'll handle it myself... I'll see to it that I know what my coaches and players do, go down to training sessions, see their progress with my own two eyes, even if it means I need to take oversea trips to watch them play and support them, so be it. Any slackers will stay in my note for future recommendations/disposals. The coaches will report directly to me and I will give their plans due consideration and of course with conviction. I'll make sure coaches of all departments work together and swapping players during training should be a norm in order to promote knowledge/experience sharing environment... working as a team is inevitable...

Of course I'll be open to suggestions, since I hold no ulterior motive or personal interest except that I want MAS to be a badminton power house and my players to grab all those winnings and majors...

And that is my big dream ;)

p/s: yeah, I know it is easier said than done but what is not? ;) Just live with a principle, "when there's a will, there's a way" then, what's easily said should be easily done, no?;)

#46 eRa@에라, Jan 18, 2011
  7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The CTC seems a very logical solution.

The Chairman is limited in technical abilities so he forms a technical committee to help him make decisions.

He avoids using an MD or ED but uses a TECHNICAL COMMITTEE.That ought to be an improvement. It is unavoidable because
    Government Funds and sponsorship by GLC'S are involved.Why CTC and not MD or ED, perhaps it is because there are no suitable candidates, maybe P.Gunalan? I think this idea of Director and Performance coach
    is also practised in Denmark and England.

This committee can act as a MEDIATOR amongst the coaches in Men's Singles dept. ,can monitor the coaches performance
    and also set targets for their charges. No coach can be perfect, just watch the 2002 Thomas Cup Final in the decider and watch how Hendrawan uses his skill to outplay a very motivated and fit Roslin. Also how later Kuan Beng Hong was outclassed in his Thomas Cup appearances.

No one likes to have a new boss/bosses and be subject to criticism, but the CTC has to act as Mediator, Assessor of targets
    and also provide a helicopter view of things.
    Players and coaches have to be set targets(previously coaches did not report to anyone), flaws should be identified by
    the Director and Performance coach, and remarks taken with an open mind .
    Departments other than the Men's Singles have their own arrangements for sparring eg.Rexy and TKH.
    Above all the CTC,coaches and players have to be set a realistic time-frame to meet their targets,failing which all 3
    are subject to the axe.

#47 Bbn, Jan 18, 2011
  8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Why was Li Mao brought in to coach LCW in 2005? I think there are ample discussions in BC alone if one cared to scour.

After all wasn't LCW a very fit and talented player already?

And next why bring in Hendrawan? After all we can presume that we have ample local talent already.

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Okay, Boss...if I am a player, I quit, you are too tough lah:D...but I particularly like the part of hiring physiotherapist or masseurs, just make sure you hire the good looking young chicks;)...I particularly like your job on "I need to take oversea trips to watch them play and support them", but I would avoid India cos I do not like Indian food too much, too much curry on everything, I would stay longer in HK for shopping and Taiwan, heard they have great looking chicks there, just make sure your mandarin is good:p:D

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    One problem with a "social club" like KLRC is that it is limited by its constitution and may not have the power nor sufficient resources to concentrate on badminton development/training for the country without competing interest from other members.

Singapore has in a way tried to decentralize its badminton training by involving private schools and clubs, government training centres and badminton academies to develop young players who have not reached national standards. By and large, government financial and non-financial assistance is needed to keep such institutions going I suspect and sponsorships from the private sector is minimal as most of these are channeled into SBA coffers.

SBA remains the paramount body to develop national players.

#50 Loh, Jan 18, 2011
  11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

i find a common thread amongst the partisan supporters of MS.

They are all very impressed by the performance of Men's singles in the junior tournaments

and are confident that Misbun can whip them into shape.

But dont forget Yeoh Kay Bin was also a world junior champion runner-up and he didn't rise very far in the senior circuit.

Probably MS himself believes he can whip them into shape (although they have to prove able to beat their seniors).

If BAM does not allow him I think the best way to prove BAM wrong would be to take those promising boys from BAM

into his own training centre outside of the BAM and thrash the BAM players later.

12. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    @OneToughBirdie: "Okay, Boss...if I am a player, I quit, you are too tough lah:D..."

eh, no quit la... nothing is not tough in life... persevere la... boleh kan? hehehe...

"but I particularly like the part of hiring physiotherapist or masseurs, just make sure you hire the good looking young chicks;)"

Cannot la, nanti all my players distracted, how? If they still can win the tourneys, then I might consider... ^_^

"...I particularly like your job on "I need to take oversea trips to watch them play and support them", but I would avoid India cos I do not like Indian food too much, too much curry on everything, I would stay longer in HK for shopping and Taiwan, heard they have great looking chicks there, just make sure your mandarin is good:p:D"

Business with pleasure as usual... but must use own pocket money la if like that... later tax payers marah :D

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    After distracted they should get acquainted, it's good for the match, already proven:D

14. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    proven? wah gossip, gossip.. who? when?:D

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach

Off topic:

No gossip anymore, many researches already....

Many also don't know;) me after 1/2 of my life gone then I know :D

Please google xxx before competition :eek:

16. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    oh... like that kah? I think I'll pass... ;) kinda remember what's that is about... :eek: