Pro Players: How Much do they Lift, and How Good is their Cardio?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by OHMAHGAWDZ, Jan 24, 2012.

1. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    what other tips do you have for the world's most successful, most consistent, and highest performing team of professional badminton players?

2. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Just because they are good at badminton does not mean they are really powerful or work out the right way. There's a kid here where I live who's ranked A and wins the U25 divisions of the tournaments he plays in (he's 17) and doesn't work out. They are just insane at badminton and in all sports skill will beat physical performance.

I really do doubt that these players work out the right way though and bet they would be a lot better if they did. Just look at the players, none of them look close to being as strong as they could be. No badminton player I have seen has a big chest or back and the muscle definition I do see from players is probably because those players have low body fat. Look at sprinters and you'll see what a badminton player and all athletes should look like

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I hope national teams around the world can see your posts so they can learn from you.

I also hope people training for marathons can learn from you as well because the world's top marathoners look like walking skeletons. Imagine how much faster they can be if they look like a sprinter.

Neel Dhebar likes this.
  4. Footwork_816

I hope so too. Marathon runner's are different. Their main focus is endurance and the muscles actually shrink when you go to that extreme for endurance. Obviously depending on the sport there is a balance of explosive power and endurance. Besides give me an example where speed and power is needed where the athletes aren't jacked?

I would say in badminton you need to be just as explosive and fast and is one of the most explosive sports. Plus, the faster you can get to the bird the more energy you preserve because you aren't taking deep lunges so in case you believe badminton takes an extreme amount of endurance remember pro's use less energy than us to move around

btw dude your sarcasm is really effing hilarious. How about you open your mind a little and become a bit skeptic. Just because all badminton players work out the same way doesn't mean its the right way and you can look at other athletes in other sports and compare them. Some of the stuff badminton players did in the 1970s that everyone thought was most the most efficient way to generate power might not be used anymore bc a better alternative way was found. Just because everyone does something does not mean its right or is the best way especially when there are way better athletes you can compare to

5. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

going back to the original post...
    i too have asked these questions, how to incorporate weight training into badminton and found it hard to find out what weights the pros do - but i agree with what has been said so far, polymetric exercises like skipping. but in the gym? im not sure heavy weights are best... do pros really do 2x bodyweight squats? thats no easy task. i have seen lin dan training doing the clean and jerk with a reasonable weight (probably 60-70 kg) but thats it xDDD literaly the only weights ive seen pros doing. they must be doing loads a few more.. but im sure they would be doing explosive power exerises like jump squats, lunges and definitely clean and jerk and exercises like that.

and as for the skill vs strength debate... of course some 'natrual' athletes seem to have never touched weights, like roger federer. but look at murray... reached no2 and he just isnt a natrual player. terrible examples in a badminton forum, but you know what i mean. and for novices, ofc the more physicaly able player -with the same badminton experience as his non-physical training opponent- will win more, and probably end up playing more because of this.

bring on the (correct) training!

6. Footwork_816

Heavy weights for low reps is the best for strength if thats your goal. Yea same I've seen a vid of LCW lifting and if that really is how much he can lift then I can already squat and bench more than him...(he was squatting like 185 and benching 135).

Well I'm sure most of the top badminton athletes do work with weights I'm just saying from what I've seen (in those pics and the LCW vid) that pro's aren't working out their bodies right and could be a lot stronger and powerful

7. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

Some of the Korean men are fairly muscular. Jung Jae Sung and Ko Sung Hyun come to mind. I think we don't see big chests because that's probably the only muscle group that's fairly useless for badminton.
    I think that doubters of heavy weight should take a look at oly lifters for some perspective - those people are the personification of explosive power. Of course they do plenty of speed work as well. But power=force(comes from strength)/time(lessened by speed of muscle contraction), and a lot of the responses in this thread have overlooked the force portion of that formula.
    The way I see things is strength = maximum force you can exert, speed = how quickly you can get to that max force. One is much less useful without the other, which means strength training does play a role in an explosive sport such as badminton. I started this thread to find out exactly how much.
    I've decided that I'm going to continue weights, but altering the program and intensity depending on the time of year, and doing frequent speed work.
    But even if the purpose of my starting this thread is pretty much fulfilled, I'm still curious as to how strong/fit the pros are. It would provide some good motivation ("can you run 10k in 28 minutes yet? THEN GET OFF THE COUCH" :p). If anyone knows anything, you will have my gratitude for posting :D.

...and as far as the marathon runner comment (too lazy to quote it :p), that's comparing apples and oranges, and you know it.

My max is 1.8x bodyweight right now, and I've been lifting for 6 months, started at 1.2x bodyweight. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can gain strength on a good program, especially the first few months. And comparing my legs to some pro MD player's legs, I'm pretty sure that the pros can do much more than that.

#27 OHMAHGAWDZ, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Theres a video on youtube of Gade squatting 5 x 150. If this was his 5RM, and it may not be, it would put his 1rm around 175. If Gade weighs 70-75 kg this puts his squat at well over 2 times BW. LCW is lighter and squats reportedly over 200kg 1RM.

Low rep weight training on exercises like the squat is essential and develops full body strength.

9. Footwork_816

Niceee I just saw that video. This is how athletes should train :). Where have you seen he can squat over 200kg??? There's a vid on youtube and it looks like 185 lbs is too heavy for him...

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    LCW was seen squatting nearly 200 before training prior to worlds and his team said over 200. A double bodyweight squat is acheiveable by most with proper training

11. OHMAHGAWDZ

Thanks for the info, looks like pro players are pretty strong. I wonder if doubles players are even stronger than singles? time to search all over the internet :D.

12. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    looks like I'm late to the party...

Hi,
    I guess I'm a bit late on this thread so I will get straight to the point ;).

View attachment Malaysia-Team.pdf View attachment Training.pdf I think you are spot on with strenght training: Maximal strenght IS very important to badminton performance, especially if you say it's your weak point. Alot of badminton players fail to understand that plyometrics and endurance training are only good to some extend and that weight lifting is a must if you want to compete at a high level in badminton.

To this post are linked 2 very interesting articles which sumarize the numbers of a few pros: the malaysian team players and danish player Poul Erik Hoyer Larsen.

I will also link an article from about 2 years ago written by a great S&C coach who trains top brittish badmnton players, I think you'll find it quite interesting.

http://www.brendanchaplin.co.uk/building-badminton-athletes/

A few important points (in my opinion at least): For squats, the weight you lift depends on how far down you go when you squat. Some people brag about being able to lift enormous weights but they fail do go down past 90 degrees. As a general guideline, coach Charles Poliquin states that in order to compete in the olympics, a FULL squat of 2x BW is plenty. This is a full squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFm9q1HBKY performed by a professional athlete (obviously not a badminton player though...:p).

Another important point about knowing if you are "bulking up" too much is your vertical jump: vertical jump depends on your RELATIVE strenght, which means that if you gained 5 pounds of muscle, but improved your vertical jump by say 2 inches, you are training the right muscle groups and in the right way. But if you gain 5 pounds of muscle and your vertical jump decreases by 2 inches, then it means you need to change your training because the weight you gained did not help you become more explosive.

I hope that helps.

Mathieu

edit sorry the links to the PDF articles are at the begining of my post and their names are "training" and "malaysia team", I just don't know how to change where they are placed...

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Mind to post the video here?:)

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Clearly lifts like squat, deadlift, powerclean, even bench are fairly technical and you need to be taught how to do them

15. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvYjmMRq_NE

Gade clip

Also there's a big difference between just weight training and getting your squat up to 150x5 versus playing high intensity badminton for maybe 15 court hours, doing sprints, other training, being very lean, and squatting 150x5 !

16. OHMAHGAWDZ

Agreed, training cardio/endurance training interferes with strength training and vice-versa, so getting to that kind of level in both is truly impressive. Is that Peter Gade the badminton player in that video? I don't think it looks like him? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it might be a different Peter Gade. :p

And Mathieu, thanks for those pdf files. Some very good information :D.

17. Footwork_816

18. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

nice vid with LCW.

but where do you guys see peter gade in the other vid?

19. Footwork_816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvYjmMRq_NE

yea but do u see what I mean with LCW squatting in that vid? Like I don't kno if I just saw that vid I would say LCW wouldn't be able to squat more than 250 lbs but he apparently can squat 400 lbs...altho then again that vid was old. I think it was before the Olympics...