SEVEN times Sudirman Cup Champion - China

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by AlanY, May 17, 2009.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Once again CHN team proves they're the number one in this BWF event. As predicted earlier that CHN will defend SC, and exactly they did it last night.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the truth is this Chinese team is a fairly young team with the exception of FHF/CY that everyone suggested is the weakest link whicch they can pick up a point. they are the olympics silver medalist, current AE champion and undefeated throughtout the tournament, if this is the weakest link what chance for the other nations? I can see CHN will continue to dominate world badminton for awhile.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The weakest link speak is not unfounded and must be seen relative to the other matches. The most likely points for Korea comes from XD and MD -- Korea is relatively hopeless for MS, WS and even WD.

XD performance relies purely on the performance of LHJ that day. ZB/YY pair was the correct tactical choice against LHJ/LYD. ZB will focus on hammering down the shuttle (which he does very well) with YY hunting the net. YY can even throw a few hammer blows of her own. YY is, IMHO, much better overall and especially at the net than LHJ.

FHF/CY pair has not been extremely stable (e.g. OG'08 MD finals). FHF's play is usually plagued with tonnes of unforced error and average defense, and compared to their forming days, this pair is a bit predictable. They are also the only pair China that has any chance against LYD/JJS. This means China has to use a pair that the Koreans already know very well.

Among the few things that contributed to the Chinese MD victory are:
    • Improved gameplay/net performance by FHF
    • Exceptionally crafty play by both FHF/CY
    • relatively tired LYD
    I believe both XD and MD are the weakest link but the pool available for XD gives it a tactical edge.

So indeed, as you said, given that these are the "weakest link", China will remain dominant for the foreseeable future.

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

if you consider the opponents CHN's XD is one of the strongest. the tall girl of the KOR pair always has her up and down, brilliant for one point and rubbish for the other, one of the reason that KOR lost the first match. what other good XD pairs from other nations in good form?

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Err... you meant LHJ. I just wrote that LYD/LHJ's performance hinges on how she plays. LYD/LHJ is current WR2 so not an arbitrary pair to trivialise. Even LYB took precaution by sending YY/ZB instead of YY/HHB or ZB/MJ.

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    KOR's doubles are on par with CHN's. In fact, I was expecting ZB to choke in the XD but YY calmed things down a bit. What a wise move by LYB to field ZB/YY; ZB/MJ or HHB/YY would have lost the match I guess. ZB was effective at attacking at the back and YY was superb at the net. YY served very well in the 3rd game while LHJ looked clueless at the net at times and I believe that was the key.

In MD, FHF was more comfortable doing all the interceptions at the net and more aggressive at the back. CY/FHF's defense was solid and they were more gutsy and played sligtly better than JJS/LYD at the end of the decider. Seriously, this match could have turned either way.

Overall, I would say it was the committment and mental toughness of CHN that contributed to the win. LYD has done his part in both XD and MD but his opponents just played better.

"Proper whitewash" is overstated for CHN against KOR but bravo to CHN!

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the proper whitewash was referred to team CHN against all the others over the tournament (not KOR alone). as a teaser anyway.

8. hashdam

hashdam Regular Member

stop commenting on LYD was tired therefor he cannot play as well
    so what its a team match who says you have to put the same player in twice
    if korea cant find a better replacement for him its their fault
    not an excuse for why they couldn't win 1 point

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

LYD's part was to secure the 2 points that KOR badly needed for them to have a chance to regain the Sudirman Cup, and he failed in both counts.

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

totally agree.

this is a team event, and what best players a team able to feature for each match is also a measure of the team strength and level.

has to feature both LYD and LHJ for 2 matches simply tells you Korea is as good as China as a team.

yet pity that people always like to find excuse for defeat of their favourite team by saying if this and if that afterwards...

#30 Jonc108, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Come'on guys.

The facts are that:
    1. China has more better players
    2. FHF/CY played excellent badminton
    3. LYD has to play in 2 matches
    4. LYD is evidently tired during the MD affecting his performance
    Who's making excuses? China won fair and square.

#31 weeyeh, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  12. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    KOR has put LYD & LHJ to play 2 matches simply means lack of other players of caliber capable of stealing a point from China.

13. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    Your first point sum up everything. Points 2,3 and 4 do not warrant a win in every tournament.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Add to the list, LYD was back against wall in MD, a lost will send the team home right away. Even a W, may only extend the life for another hour at most, as the next ones will be WS and WD. On the other hand, FHF/CY is in the harvest mode. Whether they put the punch, or give the honor to WYH, the trophy is pretty much home.

So, one is fighting for a hopeless battle, the other one is having fun to looking for the cracks, then the result is pretty much predictable. I have to say LYD did his best for the day already, no regret.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

having fun? you obviously havent seen how intensive the match was!!
    obviously, LYD's best is not good enough. he needed a better XD partner and a more match fit MD partner for KOR to have any chance.

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    come on, gals and guys......
    i dont think that Korea is totally relying on LYD to win the Sudirman Cup. as our master LB said, LYD has done his part and it was not his winning day.

i am watching replay of RF vs RN. RN lost to RF straight set on a clay court.:D:p

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Technically its a Whitewash.. but they didnt the final 2 matches in the Semis and Final. But yes i do agree... China is unbeatable.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That was the clincher..

..that was pretty much the nail on the coffin for team Korea..
    ..Fu Hai Feng, Cai Yun and Zheng Bo are the veteran men's doubles players. I can see them hanging on for 2, maybe 3 more yrs. After that, i don't know which of their men's doubles players will rise to the top.
    LYD will continue to improve and mature. LHJ most likely will be replaced in the future.
    ..like i mentioned in the Finals thread, playing against CHN's XD pair is akin to playing against a Men's Doubles pair; in a way, it's almost unfair. For one, not only is Yu Yang more masterful @ the net, but just look & hear at how she clobbered the shuttle..:p

19. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Yes a little OT. RF won against RN. Hooray!!

20. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member