Improving the Quality of your Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shooting stroke, Oct 17, 2012.

1. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    When you are about to smash you can see the net - hence you know what height you need to hit the shuttle. I suggest that, to begin with you aim deep into the court. Then adjust the angle over time.

2. kbase

kbase Regular Member

When I aim for the court(anywhere), I am clearing the net but shuttle falls on the back boundary service lines and it looks awkward and doesn't look like a smash. Now, when I try to focus more on the midcourt and steepness , I am getting it wrong. Now I am standing still and asking my partner to toss and practicing to clear the net which I am not able to do it.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I understand the problem. However, just continue to get it in (even if it lands near the back). As you continue to improve, you will automatically start to improve your shots.

A final idea for you - practice fast drops or half smashes instead. These should be easier to judge, and actually practice the full smash action anyway (but with less power).

arsh likes this.
  4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I sort of know what you mean as I used to alternate between tennis, table tennis and badminton so I always needed to remind myself where the net and the limits of the court are.

Suggest you simply stand at the back of the court, look at the net and try and observe and remember where it is and how high it is in relation to where you're standing.

Smashes don't need to skim the tape. In fact, it is far better to hit the smash too high than into the net and present the point to your opponent as a gift. So don't worry if it is too high. Make sure it doesn't go into the net first!

5. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Thanks once again for the very quick reply. I just want to confirm what exactly is fast drops and half smash.

Fast drop - Hitting the shuttle from the back boundary service line so that the shuttle falls within the front court service line . Am I right ? If it is, I am good in this. Only my deceiving is very poor in this as people can easily predict that I am going to drop. I am just improving the deceiving in this.

Half smash - What exaclty is called as half smash ? Hitting anywhere on the court with the smash action called as half smash. Am I right ?

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    A fast drop is probably NOT going to land within the front court service line - that would be a slow drop (has to be more loopy). A fast drop is hit quick a quick tapping action and lands on or after the service line (often a foot or two past the service line).

A half smash is a smash played with 50% to 75% power i.e. not a drop, but not a full power smash. Think of it a slower or less powerful smash. It will land in the midcourt.

arsh likes this.
  7. kbase

kbase Regular Member

I am practicing now from the midcourt as I got frustrated when hitting from the back boundary service line. If it is a practice, it is well and good but if it is a match, then it is really awkward as to me it is smash but opponent easily attacking it with a real smash. But as of now I take your point first to clear the net. For this, I am trying hard to proximate the height of the net while hitting from the midcourt. Of 10 shots, I am just clearing one or two shots. I will be very much happier even if the shuttle lands in midcourt while trying.

8. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Should the fast drop must be hit from the midcourt ? Also, should the fast drop must be done with the same action as smash ?

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The fast drop can be hit from anywhere (from the back or from the middle). You can practice hitting from wherever you want. Just so you know: drops, fast drops, half smashes, full smashes and clears ALL use the same hitting ACTION, but use different speeds. Hence, you could just practice one (in the middle), and they will all get better.

Good luck!

arsh likes this.
  10. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Thanks a lot and will practice as suggested and will get back to this thread post 2 weeks with my results.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Btw your partner should be feeding high birds to you with a racket instead of tossing it as you said as tossing won't be high enough.

12. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    I'm wondering if you could add in recovery. Good recovery from a smash especially in singles is very important as when smashing down the line the opponent will push to the net, if recovery is good this could be capitalised with a net kill/ tight tumble to finish the rally, if recovery is poor then the opponent can return to the net and recover for the next shot when you will be taking the shuttle below the net.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Whilst footwork is incredibly important, this is probably something I would leave to take a back seat until you can effortlessly move TO the shuttle and hit the shot with precision. Once you are hitting well, then worry about the movement side of things. Otherwise, you may end up trying to achieve too much, and simply become overwhelmed.

14. Tony Tam

Tony Tam New Member

Software Engineering @ Splunk Inc.
    The drill I often try to do with anyone is to try to consecutively smash 3 times in a row while the other partner clears nice and high. Executing 3 smashes consistently will require validity and consistency (not accuracy). It will force the person to think about 'power' not being the most important. This drill requires a strong partner who can return a smash with a nice clean clear. You can also tell the person hitting to hit a 'half' smash (with less power)