What Would You Do With BAM if Tomorrow You Are Given the Mandate To Run It?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Bbn, Jan 15, 2011.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Please have a reality check and stop day dreaming. Not in your wildest dream will you be asked to run BAM or any national badminton federation.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let us have a bit of imaginative discussion, although it's real

Oh please taneepak, :eek::eek::eek:

Can't you understand what Bbn means when it is said:
    "If I were given the running of The BAM tomorrow".

Let us have a bit of some imaginative discussion, although it's not real. :):):)

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's true. You need to have a certain amount of rubber in your constitution to be eligible. :D

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Great theory but surely will not work here in the near future as there is so little money in badminton.

I think most people now,here would choose to remain in the security and comfort of a government run association.

Has it been done before? Other sports?

#24 Bbn, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

No harm anyone saying their piece as it is merely HYPOTHETICAL.

The real test is whether proposals consider the big picture and not a narrow view.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Checking if BCers are thinking inside or outside the box

It is also checking if our BCers are thinking inside or outside the box. ;););)

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Any sport that has transcended its comfort zone in any country or continent, has only done so with active participation of the private sector. What are the leagues all about, whether in football, basketball, baseball, cricket and so on.

private enterprise will find a way of making the sport more profitable, popular and more relevant to the times we live in, as well.

The hard part is the act of relinquishing authority and control. All those bureaucrats and politicians will not do it easily. Granted there may be a brief period of transitory chaos, but if all the diligence has been done, it will have an astoundingly good effect on the health of the game.

#27 cobalt, Jan 17, 2011
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Wasn't aware that this was supposed to be a test of our abilities!!!! :eek:
    Maybe I should pass (as in "let go")... :eek:;)

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Private enterprise will find a way of making the sport more profitable, popular, ....

Well, while National Associations are investing for their "National Interest", private enterprises are doing it for their "Return of Investment".

IMHO, like other sports such as; Tennis, Soccer, Golf, etc......, private enterprises shall do better.

Why? It's because it's for the entertainment for spectators worldwide, not just for one particular nation.

10. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    yes you're right, the sponsors gonna invest in our sport in the coming future, because there's a business potential :)

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Yes,test is not the correct term, rather "a reflection"

Definitely with more Private participation, political influence and Crony financiers can no longer manipulate the sport,

but of course there may be more corruption in the from of betting etc.

12. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    TO CHANGE BAM... U have to change Msia Gomen 1st because BAM big guns are all connected to Msia Gomen & BAM is run exactly the same way as Msia Gomen on a smaller scale.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think my original suggestion has lost a lot in "translation" :eek:

If you go back to #19 you will notice that the thrust of my entire argument was to take away the training aspect i.e. "operations" from the direct control of BAM. Instead BAM should "outsource" the training to established or potential "centres of excellence" for training. These can be private clubs, universities, and so on. My reference to CBSL and other leagues of other sports was to point out that this is a very viable and historically successful business model.

Let me illustrate this with an example. I stress, this is just an example, so I hope people don't get all twisted about it. The KLRC has an established infrastructure, and a reputation that can allow it to build on further and expand if necessary. If BAM were to contract the KLRC (among others) to be a "funnel" for training and supplying national players of 3 levels, and were to issue guidelines, standards, a framework of operative requirements and objectives, training procedures and so on, then the KLRC can go about the business of recruiting promising talent. Maybe KLRC would be given a certain "territory" or geographic area that they can tap into for this purpose.
    What does KLRC gain? Well of course, BAM pays them for the training of "x" number of recruits for specific semesters or whatever. Sliding scales can be worked out depending on levels etc. KLRC obviously gains official recognition as a top source of talent for Malaysian badminton. The spin-offs would be to allow them to expand their training arm even further and provide the same services to foreign players or other national associations from say, Sri Lanka or Ukraine or Poland etc.

BAM still retains control over tournaments. That (event management) would be the core of their business. They can now focus on the administrative and organizational aspects of their work, and hopefully the synergy they would build with such "partnerships" would make even the event management more professional, successful and appreciated.

This is what I meant when I said...
    My suggestion was restricted to the training aspect only. But once that proves successful and everyone (including the ministry of sports) gains confidence from this method of operations, there is no reason why the next, really big step cannot be considered. The Leagues.

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The influence of politicians is very obvious when the public cannot really appreciate the sport

but become very partisan and link all their preferences on nationality etc. and even give a high profile to

coaches who have obviously become a tool for manipulations by politicians.

But they are more open when it comes to the EPL.

15. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    If i had the Mandate to run BAM... I'd get extremely power crazy.

then I'd go an print business cards with the title 'I'm President, B1tch!'

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I guess that's the difference between you and the present incumbent! :D:D:D:p

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Most suggestions or wishes here remind me of angry or dissatisfied employees who go home after a day's hard work, retrieve to their punching bag with a photo of their boss on it and then vent off their anger with Mike Tyson-like killer punches.
    Whilst it allows you to vent off your frustration and anger, it doesn't change the status quo does it?
    Almost all suggestions will bring about the breakup of the association because there is no one unifying body in control. There isn't even a mission statement or an objective for the development of the game in the country. Without any structure the coaches will be wasting their time in a power struggle and MS will be the last to quit. Now who is the head coach and who tells who to do and what? It is very likely many will disappear leaving no more money in the kitty as it will be each coach to himself.
    Without accountability and bottom line results no one will continue signing cheques to pay anyone.
    Very soon, you will end up having the Anti-Corruption Agency wanting to interview you.
    A much easier alternative is to go their own separate way like some other players. This way if they are good enough they can still represent their country.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Easier alternative is to go their own separate way like some other players

This I agree with you. :):):)

And also, players can choose their own coach(es). It will be following Tennis, IMHO. But it would depend on sponsors; if they are willing to invest in independent players.

#38 chris-ccc, Jan 17, 2011
  19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The way I read your post, you are saying that BAM has aready failed. Or do you mean that this will be the scanario if the angry and dissatisfied employees have their way?

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    The Badminton Association

Write the screenplay, make the movie and get rich...

Starring....

Jesse Eisenberg as Dato' Lee Chong Wei

Andrew Garfield as 'The President'

Armie Hammer as 'Commitee Member #1' and Commitee Member #2'

Max Minghella minor casted as James Selvaraj

AND Justin Timberlake as Dato' Misbun Sidek.

PLUS+ The Entire Oxford Rowing Team as LIN DAN

#40 jug8man, Jan 17, 2011