Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

hard to suggest anything when it seems like you guys are just hitting it back and forth waiting for practice to be done :p

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

yeah, that pretty much says it all.
    if you want to improve, you first have to show some dedication and take practice seriously. your focus is everywhere, but definately not on the court/at badminton.
    go ahead and have fun with your buddy, that's alright! but if you want to improve and get some advice, you should at least offer something serious to us and not that kind of unmotivated thing.

fwiw: the "taufik-i-am-so-bored-and-cool-style" is only cool, when you're really really good! if performed by bad players, it's just ridiculous.

3. fauci

fauci Regular Member

from the way you hit the shuttle, I assume your grip is wrong. I would suggest learning how to hit a clear should be the first thing on your list.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

clue - your feet land too close together & frequently missing scissor action on drops and clears. The latter bit is just not efficient but the former is 'dangerous' in terms of injury. Your recovery after a jump is very lazy as well (I would say your footwork is lazy in general :p).

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    you guys are too hard on him.
    Maybe he's not being lazy, I've seen some seniors (60+) who move like him on court. So maybe he just suffers from a complete lack of conditioning, which makes him move like an athletic 60 year old.

Fellow Canadian, keep practising hard and you'll eventually be able to move as well as any other recreational player. Also, practice your serves, cuz lets be honest, I've seen blind people with more consistent serves.

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

no, we''re not!
    the guy in yellow is more concerned with what's going on in the rest of the gym, they often are confused about the score (i.e. not knowing from which side to serve) and their body-language clearly says: "i don't care.".

this is not nearly maximum effort. more like 50%...

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm. First, urameatball is trolling ('[...] makes him move like an athletic 60 year old' is NOT defending him :D).
    Second, this thread isn't called 'Post videos of yourself playing at 100%' ;) And while I agree that you can't help a person that doesn't show their best effort and that it's clear he doesn't, let's try not to bash him too much. He did, after all, have the courage to upload that video, which is more than quite a few posters and lurkers here can say.
    Sending in my broken camera today, hope it gets fixed in time for my next tournaments (doubles 03.02. and singles 09.02.).

8. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Here is today's videos of me playing Cloud7z
    Honestly, this isn't my best game.
    I found it hard to grip the floor, the floor was slippery (don't know why)
    Sorry for the video quality, recorded off my phone
    [video=youtube;I4fUpcIgfKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4fUpcIgfKQ[/video]

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Far too many errors just from returning serve. Seems like you're trying to play like Taufik which will never work ever. You pick up your speed later on (haven't watched it fully yet) but still your shot choice needs to be worked on more. Plenty of times (2:48 for example) you play a high lift as your third shot when you're under no pressure. This happens a few times and although it's better than hitting it into the net (which you also do a few times) it's still a nothing shot. You put no pressure on your opponent, and give him a chance to control the rally. Oh, and the forehand serve at 3:30 is... Well you don't need me to tell you what it is! :p

Your backhand as well gets you in trouble a few times as well. It looks almost as though you panic when it comes onto your backhand side, and you play this backhand shot which just gives your opponent a free point because of how loopy and slow it is. You need to work on this shot, it's a weakness in all players games at this level, but it costs so many points in a game. Maybe you should consider shifting your base position when you feel your opponent has the option to play a shot that can pressurise your backhand.

If I sound too critical I apologise, I don't know what level you're attempting to reach, but there are a lot of basic things that need to be improved on to get to the next level.

All the best. :)

10. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

bring a tripod, never a female friend. It keeps the distraction to a minimum :D

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I watched with the sound down, camera moving was also annoying! :p

12. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

i can't get past the first minute with all the camera movement.

13. drew tze en

Hmm... I see, I will bear that mind, to have more variety of shots and prevent from lifting.
    That forehand serve was unexpected myself as well! hahaha :S
    My backhand seems to be going downhill, I used to be able to play high and deep backhand clears but... You have seen the video, not good.

Its fine, it helps me think, what I need to bring to the court next time.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

very lazy on b/h (you could take more on f/h), especially considering how short your b/h clears are...

when you walk back to base you are very upright and often your split is done when still standing (or not done at all)

At the front you seem slow and take net shots very low - maybe because of the floor.

Examples where you could improve your shot disguise - 2:43 4:10. You could address + hold the shuttle, but instead your racket is very far from the shuttle and you only have one option to play.

your commentators were obviously experienced and added some very insightful comments :D lol

#1614 amleto, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  15. drew tze en

Yea.... Sorry about that! hahaha ^_^
    I'm looking for a tripod as well

16. drew tze en

Thanks for the comments,
    Backhand side needs working on again.
    I have other videos in the same hall, I would usually take the net shots high but the floor was slippery and couldn't grip it as well. If you understand, that is really annoyed

Yea about the "commentators"..... :S

17. fauci

fauci Regular Member

you played with one arm

18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

well, it's not baseball! :p

but I know what you mean, I think - but not sure I agree.

#1618 amleto, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Your backhand needs a lot of work, the way you hit the shuttle now is rather ineffective. It's not surprising you can't get the clears to a decent length...
    The way you hit the backhand now is with the wrist bending downwards first, then bending it backwards as you hit. There seems to be very little supination and gripping action.
    The way you need to hit it is illustrated beautifully by any Taufik-backhand-slowmo. Your wrist needs to be bent backwards slightly (so, in the direction of the back of the hand), with the grip relaxed and your thumb on the side of the racket (45° from the broad, flat side). As you hit, you have to start the movement with your shoulder, rotating your upper body into the shot, then raise the elbow (without raising your hand, so relative to your elbow, it goes down), extend the arm while supinating and at the top, grip the handle and turn the racket so that your thumb goes to the flat side (pretty much a backhand grip, slightly turned sideways, but you normally hit the shuttle before that as you rarely turn to play the backhand when you can take the shot in front of your body).

20. jeffreylee

jeffreylee Regular Member

Samsung
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVrClXECkfU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thats me 3 months ago..playing mixed