Hit the shuttle early versus delay and deception

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BernieR, May 9, 2013.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

He says from ~3.30 what he is going to do! He is not just holding his racket there! The camera is a bit closer in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKWigzcQoJQ

Yes. This is exactly the same as how to prepare for a hold -> cross-court block shot.

Finger power is amazing. You can see from the link above that there is a reasonable back swing, though.

#41 amleto, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

You cannot tell just from watching LD in that video whether he did double action or not on that shot - the quality and frame rate are not good enough. However, I will 99% guarantee you that a pro will not race to the forecourt like that guy did unless there was a fake motion first.

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is fair enough. In my opinion, holding at the net is just "showing" the start of my flick, which just so happens to look like "showing" a net shot, which just so happens to look like "showing" a cross net shot. They all look the same when I hit them, so I am in effect just showing them the start of whichever shot I am playing. However, I see your point :) haha :)

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a nice aid to this discussion, please take some time to watch my favourite mens singles player :)

His name is Pullela Gopichand, and in this match he is playing Peter Gade. I can honestly say that Gopichand is the most deceptive player I have ever seen (possible exception is Zhao Jianhua). He uses a lot more than just double actions that I can see. Many of his shots involve slicing the shuttle to send it in the wrong direction (which is NOT double motion). His ability to hold so many of his shots is quite simply amazing in my book :)

Please enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ru9V5FPeiY

The rally at 8.00 in part 2 is finished by the most deceptive reverse slice I have ever seen!

#44 MSeeley, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    Personally, from what my coaches told me, you only use deception shots when the opponent is READY for your next shot.

If your opponent is already in a poor position after receiving your shot, it is more beneficial to hit the bird early and speed up the pace of the game. By receiving it quickly, it is more difficult for your opponent to recover from his position and receive your shot again. Thus, changing the game into your favour.

If your opponent is ready for your next shot, this makes them more gullible to your actions and it will be more likely for you deception to work. Deception is only to create an opportunity to attack.

That's how I use deception. :D

6. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

Thanks for that MSeeley, I really enjoyed that match, do you have a couple more video recommendations for us?

7. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I find players are more prone to deception their feet are not set (late to base).

8. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I heard the same thing from my kid's coach.