Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Or the Chinese say, more generals than (good) soldiers.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach

True :p

Feed the soldiers peanuts and the general wine & steaks,

there will be a weak army.

No matter how big the palace is or how solid the wall,

its a matter of time all will crumble down :eek:.

The soldiers are in fact the backbone

and a sad thing nobody is going to realize it except some bcers :eek:

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh I think people realize it. Everywhere. But most people are just too busy preparing for the next day, the next fight, the next paycheck, the next school tuition fee, the next mortgage....

And sooner rather than later, they become victims of that universal disease: apathy.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well,since it had become politician play groud
    wont surprise if rexy, hendrawan will leave bam after 2012 OG
    and then join klrc will all their player
    let those joker politician go and coach those who want to stay or even can try to represent MALAYSIA themself:p

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I don't doubt Bcers, malaysian badminton fans and even Rexy for their passion in badminton, looking at nation pride and winning majors and that apply to all pro players including LCW. Of course, LCW earns every ringgit he made. But pro badminton is a big business, it is business first, sport second. Now, with RM14M funding windfall, BAM is flushed with cash. BAM holds the political power card in deciding the fate of players e.g. banning TCS for being bad boy, bypass Gan/Tan in MD for WC11. Now, BAM can dish out the cash for James, Razif, after all, let's reward and spread the loot among our buddy friends, why not?
    I was in MAS back to those days when James was playing, and he was not good as a player, why all of a sudden, he is this high performance coach thingie and a Datukship to boot. Working at Bata, what is his claim to fame as high performance coach? Malaysian politics is who you know, not what you can do or has done;)
    Money talk loud and I say everybody has a price. Rexy is secured and comfy in MAS, to unearth his family to go elsewhere, unless Rexy and Hendy are fired, both will stay put and the paychecks, like what Limsy said are in the hundred thousand ringgit annually will provide an excellent lifestyle in KL, change RM to INA ruppees, then pray to continue to work for BAM for more years and both retire instant millionaires. Rexy/Hendy make more income coaching than playing, why tempt fate and move elsewhere, the grass may not be greener.
    Except for BAM, maybe Japan, KOR, INA will pay Rexy/Hendy what BAM pays. And do you think these nations will tolerate failures, they expect results, fast. Only BAM is bullet proof give a flying hoot to what public says or thinks, it is business as usual even when Malaysian badminton is facing doomsday. The person saving BAM is LCW to continue deliver winnings. Take away LCW, BAM has a stable of high performance dude, and overpaid coaches. Maybe BAM should fire all players and field the coaches to represent MAS, after all, the coaches were proven gold medal winners and achieve far more than the players have combined:D Now, BAM see ZZ winning WJC and ZZ's little ZZ siblings, BAM see a savior or saviors in them, so what is the price to join BAM, Mr Zul?;)

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Hahaha, I also think Rexy & Hendrawan will quit BAM in 2012. Maybe one or two coaches, the better ones will go off too.
    TKH then will be MD chief, Rashid(sadly for me) will be there till his hair become grey/white.

Who knows, by 2013, Zulfadli still with KLRC, coached by ........a certain high profile Datuk, assisted by another high profile Datuk :D:p

7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Looking at the punishment TCS got , for trying to leave BAM, the trick is never to join BAM unless ZZ joins on his terms. ( like if things don t work out, BAM cannot ban him from tournaments should he leave. ) After all, ZZ has proven he can be champion without BAM. ZZ probably has the advantage of more competitive experience than his AJC opponents since he has more freedom to choose his tournaments. If he had been in BAM, he would probably be languishing as BAM is more concerned about setting aside money as incentives for coaches and players rather than using the money to send more players to more tournaments to build up experience first.

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Why James was appointed the performance director?

Well, there were only two applicants for the post :D

His rival was one without the Datukship and coaching in bam

So naturally... big balls make more sound :D

#68 pBmMalaysia, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Zulfadli has Kam's backing

New Straits Times / Jul 15, 2011
    by K.M. Boopathy

Full report: http://findarticles.com/p/news-arti..._20110715/zulfadli-kams-backing/ai_n57838854/

Excerpt:
    ...KLRC director Datuk Seri Andrew Kam has pledged to financially support Zulfadli Zulkifli as long as the player wishes to stay with the club.

...Kam said Zulfadli has the potential to win Olympic gold and stated the club will do everything necessary for him reach that level.

...KLRC hired a full-time coach in Hadi, the Indonesian who had been India's singles coach for almost three years, last month and he has already started training Zulfadli.

...Hadi had been guiding most of the Indian shuttlers, including women's singles Saina Nehwal, before accepting the KLRC offer and Kam believes Zulfadli will benefit tremendously from the Indonesian who emphasises on building physical strength and adding power, which are the Asian junior champion's major weaknesses.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmmm... no bureaucracy, no dithering, no politics. Just a show of total commitment from the KLRC director.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Poor Gan/Tan

Courtesy of NST

THE BA of Malaysia (BAM) has been allocated another men's doubles slot for the World Championships and reserves Chan Peng Soon and Lim Khim Wah have been named although the former is nursing a back injury. Peng Soon has also qualified for the mixed doubles with Goh Liu Ying but the back injury kept him away from competitions for more than a month with him only making a comeback in the ongoing Kedah Open.

Malaysia got a fourth slot due to several withdrawals but Goh Wei Shem-Teo Kok Siang can't be included as the latter is recovering for an ankle surgery.

BAM's folly of not including professional pair Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen, ranked World No 16 during the first phase to accommodate Zakry Latif-Hoon Thien How (No 31), ended the chance of having two regular pairs to fill the third and fourth slots.

BAM had also decided against Fairuzizuan Tazari-Ong Soon Hock, who were ranked World No 26, at the end of the qualifying period on April 28.

Peng Soon and Khim Wah's last tournament as a pair was the Swiss Open in March with the former focusing more on mixed doubles while Khim Wah has forged a strong partnership with Wei Shem.

BAM general manager Kenny Goh confirmed Peng Soon-Khim Wah's inclusion yesterday.

"Peng Soon and Khim Wah have been included and with three pairs in, Malaysia will have better depth. Khim Wah will also get quality exposure as this is his World Championships debut," said Goh.

"Withdrawals are common but we cannot anticipate which events will be affected and we cannot include the higher ranked pairs because of the competition rules."

Teik Chai-Bin Shen have been crying foul after their place was offered to Zakry-Thien How and the current situation will not put BAM in good light.

The withdrawals have also helped China who now have four men's singles, with Du Pengyu getting the green light, four women's singles, four men's doubles, two in the women's doubles and three pairs in the mixed doubles.

Read more: Badminton: BAM gets another slot http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/ojkeml___wd-2/Article#ixzz1SEmN3xuh

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Counting the titles

BAM and its office-bearers have become quite vocal and proactive with the media, concurrent with their coming into the money. This in itself is not a bad thing; the association needs to do all it can to create/enhance awareness of the game in Malaysia, as well as inform the public about its latest actions and undertakings.

What is questionable however, is the nature of information that's mostly coming out from BAM. Mostly it is in the form of status updates about their star players; or sound bytes from the office-bearers; or feel-good info about some marquee players or about some initiative that is either planned or in the works.

What we don't hear much about, is what exactly is being done to ensure that the most meritorious or high-potential youngsters are being groomed correctly, and what progress has been made in these areas. I may be wrong, but I still have to find one BAM pupil claiming a title in all of the International, GP and GPS events since the beginning of this year. Am I wrong? I don't know.

On the contrary, we have a very sustained flow of talented and high-potential youngsters opting out of BAM, to play/practise in other places. Can they all be paranoid, or mis-informed, or misled, or mis-guided? Or is it a case of "where there's smoke, there's fire?" Can it be that there is something they know, or have experienced, which we outside BAM do not? I don't know.

I understand that it takes time to groom young talent; even Indonesia is going through a regeneration phase as we speak. But the comparison stops right there. The PBSI is obviously doing something different from BAM, because the PBSI is getting results. Very, very encouraging results. They have literally dozens of youngsters pushing at the ones above them. Is it the grassroots system? I don't know.

Eventually it all boils down to the results. If an association cannot obtain results over a decent period of time, there is something wrong in the system that the association has chosen to follow. You can hire the best coaches; prepare the most modern infrastructure; hire the most qualified support staff; pay good money to all your people everywhere; but these cannot of themselves guarantee results. If one has to look for the cause of a blank title-sheet, one will have to look at what BAM is doing within, and without. What will we find? I don't know.

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Cobalt, rather surprise you came up with the above post, I also really don't know the answer :eek:

#72 pBmMalaysia, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  13. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Han Jian has all the answers.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...omments-on-BAM-amp-Malaysian-badminton-system

And Bam's attitute of 'I am right and cannot be challenged' is also another factor.

See:

http://sports.sinchew-i.com/node/18790?tid=3

And a sport organization ran by a bunch of CEOs and politicians who have no experience in competitive sports and sit in nice air-cond room all day long. My oh my...God, please save us.

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Gan-Tan out of World Championship. BAM handed the case to Kedah and Selangor BA

Will try to tanslate this first. Han Jian's comments are really long...and I fear my English is not good enough to capture the essence of the article. Will try if I have more time.

Translation:
    *****************************************************************************************
    BAM secretary and the chief of the coach & training committee, Ng Chin Chai, has written a letter on 27 July to Kedah and Selangor state BA. The letter states that the complaint letter sent by Gan Teik Chai and Tan Bin Seng on the 12 July to BAM regarding about their exclusion from the World Championship 2011 has already challenged the authority of BAM as the national association of the country.

NG Chin Chai said that, Gan and Tan's complaint letter should be issued to KEdah and Selangor BA but not to BAM. Besides, he think that the players should not have publically denouce the policy and decision of BAM.

"And Gan and Tan's accusations on press has greatly challenge the position of BAM as the badminton association of the whole country."

In Ng's letter, he mentioned that Gan and Tan were from the Kedah and Selangor states respectively and shall let the state BAs to investigate the case before deciding whether a disciplinary action should be placed on them.

Regardless of whether the state BAs will enforce the disciplinary act on Gan and Tan, BAM will set the selection criteria for the Olmypics 2012 later this year.

In BAM's constitutions, the players and coaches are not allowed to challenge the decision and policy of the national badminton association. However, the world championship's qualification is set by BWF and is not a agenda of BAM.

Selangor State BA president Subramaniam states that Slenagor BA will not impose any penalty on Teik Chai and Bin Shen although he has been informed by Chin Chai's letter. In his opinion, the demand of BAM to place an disciplinary act on Gan and Tan is not approapriate, as Gan and Tan are merely fighting for their own rights.

Kedah State BA Zhang Ting Zhu stated earlier that he is not sure whether the State BA will impose a penalty on the duo, he said decision will be made after the meetings.
    ***************************************************************************************

Thumbs up to Selangor State BA president for doing the right things. Feel much more reassured after knowing that there is at least someone who can make a wise decision in the badminton association of Malaysia. And to Ng Chin Chai, no comment except that no wonder you are a lawyer. Wonder why lawyer is a highly sought after professional in Asia and US? Was it just solely because of the salary they earned?

#74 lcleing, Aug 6, 2011
  15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Oh, you so fast lcleing, the same news is reported in Gan/TBS thread. The nst version is there.

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Ah.. the Han jian post i wasnt able to understand a word in mandarin nor the whole supposed to be English translation :D

But one thing I do know the problem has to come from the grass roots.

Here, I always wonder does bam know or don't know :eek:

Relying on their affiliates, that is, all the state associations in msa as their feedler isn't the best option nor the only option.

What they should do is identify training centre all over the state, be it private or from the state.

Then turn them into national grass root supporting centre.

Upgrade them when there are results and feed them with whatever new ideas, development ....

What inspired me to say this came after a short 2 hours coaching clinic conducted by bam coaches during one of the national junior meet this year in kl.

During the clinic, almost all the state coaches turned up expecting a Chinese coach from bam,

to give some tips on latest tactical training .....

To everyone surprises, it was nothing! Really nothing! :eek:

The Chinese coach only demonstrate the very basic of gripping a racket!

And he kept emphasizing on gripping throughout the entire session :D

The whole crowd started to mumble ... asking each other questions..

So I overheard..

" if we spend our time more on this kind of technical training,

how are our players going to be fit to beat other players " :D.

"how are we going to get our contract renew when we don't have players winning" :D

The Chinese coach was sent to evaluate the current junior players during the tournament

and he found out the same thing as what li Mao did with the Indonesian national team :D

Hope you catch the drift, icleing:)

#76 pBmMalaysia, Aug 6, 2011
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I am getting quite sick of all these bureaucracies and politics

I am getting quite sick of all these bureaucracies and politics (governing players who have qualified, but they cannot participate in BWF events). :(:(:(

BWF say it's up up BAM.

Now BAM is saying that it's up to Selangor State BA and Kedah State BA.

Speechless, I am. How will this promote and/or encourage more players wishing to participate in BWF events? :eek::eek::eek:

#77 chris-ccc, Aug 6, 2011
  18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It is childish and irresponsible to push the case to Selangor and Kedah BA. BAM should take full responsibility on the issue. It is not Selangor sand Kedah who is sending Tan/Gan to the championship.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BAM should take full responsibility on this issue

Yes, I agree. BAM should take full responsibility on this issue.

Why try to push the case to State Associations? It was BAM who selected whom they are sending to this 2011 WC. :(:(:(

#79 chris-ccc, Aug 6, 2011
  20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's called "passing the buck." It's probably also called by many people, "showing your true colours!" This is what incompetent associations and organisations do: they hide behind procedures; they change policy to suit their own agendas and people; they make a mockery of the very fundamental principles of good governance: transparency and accountability.

So typical of BAM. I am waiting for them to surprise me by doing something right. When was the last time this bunch of people showed some spine, or good judgement? ...if you take away just 3 or 4 of the top players from this association, it will collapse like a house of cards. That is not what a robust association should be!