World's BEST SMASHER ever lived???

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Yoppy, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sounds fine to me! :) Maybe categories such as "Legends of the Smash" and "Legends of the Backhand" and "Legends of the Impossible Returns" then?

2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

The top four teams in the current men double definitely deserve their own spot on the list with their respective smasher.

I would love to see a game between
    FHF/Kido vs JJS/TBH :D (guess who is going to win?)

3. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    That wouldn't be that interesting since nobody would be able to return all the smashes....:D:D

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    propose;
    1. Zhao Jianhua
    2. Yang Yang
    3. Li Yongbo :p
    4. Kim Moon So
    5. Lin Dan
    6. Taufik Hidayat
    7. Zheng Bo
    8. Kido Setiawan
    9. Tan Boon Heong

add or amend, and i will add the poll soon.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Where's Fu Haifeng? :confused: But don't know who to take off from the list, maybe we should have one for singles and another poll for doubles smashers.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Maybe separate polls for singles and doubles players? There are different strategies and tactics at work in the 2 formats, and therefore different physical preparation as well.

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yup add FHF and take Kido off :)

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Actually Heryanto Arbi should really be in the list, here's some info about him:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?76592-Heryanto-Arbi&highlight=arbi

He won WC 2 times and AE 1 time, something that even TH has never done before. Here's the list of tournament he had won:

1993 All-England (bt Joko Suprianto)
    1993 Taiwan Masters (bt Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen)
    1993 Japan Open (bt Joko Suprianto)
    1994 All-England (bt Ardy Wiranata 15-12, 17-14)
    1994 World Cup (bt Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen)
    1994 Asian Games Gold (bt Joko Suprianto 15-7, 15-1)
    1994 Taiwan Masters (bt Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen 15-3, 15-2)
    1994 Hong Kong Open (bt Ardy Wiranata 15-9, 15-11)
    1995 World Championship (bt Park Sung Woo 15-11, 15-8)
    1995 Hong Kong Open (bt Alan Budi Kusuma 13-18, 15-13, 15-4)
    1995 Korean Open (bt Fung Permadi 15-12, 15-6)
    1995 Japan Open (bt Joko Suprianto 15-8, 15-8)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..the list of names continues..which names to keep and which names to skip??..

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I dont think you serve the purpose of this thread at all. What is wrong with the process of people giving ideas and decide?? If you are too smart to be here or if you think that think thread is a dumb one, then you dont you just piss off??

11. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    It would be so ridiculous if you not add Liem Swie King and Heriyanto Arbi on the list. they were famous for their attacking play style. And who the hell is Kido Setiawan ?? :p

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sun Jun. Accurate, quick, remorseless and merciless. :eek::D:D

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Interesting thread. When one discuss about the beauty of badminton, "smash" will be one never ending, interesting topic that can be discuss as long as we, badmintonholics may live. Since we are concentrating about "best ever smasher" and going to have a poll soon about this, i just want to share my experience observing and talking to a few of my colleagues who once played with a few names mention or not mention above.

Still remembered that i asked the same question to Datuk Misbun, Rashid Sidek and an ex-Malaysia Thomas cupper back in the early 80's, who was the best smasher from their point of view....and unanimously it was Lim Siew King. So fast and hard was his smash they said, he once destroyed the cork of a new shuttlecock while playing. Just imagined the results with his technique and you give what racket that TBH or FHF is using now...:rolleyes:So, that's a power full smash. But than, if in term of steepness and placement, the mighty Zhao Jian Hua, using his sheer height and elevation, will be their choice. His trademark and renowned deadly around the head, cross court jumping smash is a behold to see and makes even the most prepared opponent having a spine problem at the end of the match to retrieve it:crying:....you ask rashid sidek himself hahahaha. However, talking about elevation or jumping smash, arguably none can perform and has revolutionized the way jumping should be done even better other than Heryanto Arbi........it is not about the jump, but all the proper package and a good example how jumping smash should be done, the footwork, the kinetics, the elevation, the angle and execution.........and no wonder he can do it well as Yang-Yang was once his idola:D.....

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Wow lucky you buddy, able to meet those famous Sidek brothers. I will certainly ask the same question :)

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

drifit, since there is a quota for 12 players we can then have the following players on the list:

1. Zhao Jianhua
    2. Yang Yang
    3. Li Yongbo :p
    4. Kim Moon So
    5. Lin Dan
    6. Taufik Hidayat
    7. Halim Harianto (thanks to ctjcad suggestion)
    8. Fu HaiFeng
    9. Tan Boon Heong
    10. Liem Swie King
    11. Haryanto Arbi
    12. Cheah Soon Kit

How does this sound???

16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    To me , the best smasher ever is Indo Heriyanto Arbi , follow by Lin Dan , doubles best i feel is korea Park Jong Pong, follow by Fu hai feng !

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..imo and to be frank, the topic is a bit subjective and broad. And if anything, it's hard for us to select the players because we don't have the definitions/criterias of what determine a BEST SMASHER, at least in this thread??..how do you define a BEST SMASHER?..speed? accuracy of smash? placement? can execute more than 3 jumpsmashes in a row from the baseline?..
    It's a bit subjective and broad because everyone of us has our own list of players who we think or feel are "BEST SMASHERS". Your list will most likely be different to mine and another 50 people. If we take out Markis Kido, what is the reason? If we put in Li Yong Bo, what is the reason?..Where's Jung Jae Sung's name?..Where's the supposed hard smashers from M'sian junior players??..
    Also, i don't mind going with drifit's suggestion of having different polls for different era of players (in relation to the equipments and materials used in rackets). Also, to have separate threads for Doubles and Singles players is not a bad idea as there are plenty of "BEST SMASHERS" (from the past to current period) in both disciplines. IMO, making the list consolidated in 1 poll/thread seems to be limiting the options......:cool:

#57 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Finally. This is cool ctjcad. I dont mind either if the thread is separated between single and doubles player, it does make more sense. But even if it was separated, it does not solve the problem that you described, people will have different opinions about who should be on the list. And thats exactly why in the first place i created this thread from the basic, then if needed we can work its way up.

Here's what i think of the players you mentioned above:

I really dont think Kido smash is up there, as you can see how HS/MK were destroyed by CY/FHF mainly because CY/FHF were happy to give MK chances to smash.

The MAS junior, honestly im not too sure how are we going to justify him since he has not put to the test of competition highest level. We dont even know he's name, do we?? :)

LYB, honestly i have not watch many of his matches so cant really say. To that effect, JJS is a very good smasher, but with all due respect, i think he's closer to MK case. Remember its him againts the best of 12.

All i can do is to put up names and give a reason why they should be on the list. If you have one, please feel free to add. But at the end of the day someone must decide, so maybe in this case drifit can have the final list based on the discussion that took place. Another similar thread (the one about the net player) has became a poll, so i dont see a problem why we should not create more of them.

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

As mentioned earlier, his name is Nelson Heg, 2010 WJC runner up, 17 yo. But I agree, give the kid a couple more years bf even considering him on the list.

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Sorry did not noticed that earlier. I will keep that name in mind, in a few years he'll be up againts INA's Hayom (who i think also has a stinging smash and coming from the same club as Heryanto Arbi and Liem Swie King)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.