Victor New Racket Meteor X JJS ??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Polaroid, May 18, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Whereas for me, to tell the truth, I'm more counter attacking style so I use 4U MX70/80 as I find 3U too heavy for my wimpy muscles.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Moral of the story: the quality of the answer depends on the quality of the question.

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    or buy both :)

4. Jchowdhury

Jchowdhury Regular Member

Student
    3U is perfectly fine, it doesnt feel "heavy" due to where the weight is placed.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think it depends a physical abilities, strength and weakness. Some people are not great defenders with a 4U or 5U or 6U racket. Some people can't smash really hard with a 320mm 2U racket. The best for everybody is between these borders. For me dry overall weight around 87-88g and head weight dry around 40-41g and a stiff shaft works best for my abilities. People are different.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Nice to see that you use head wt too. :)

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

but what about my dinner? :mad:

8. visor

visor Regular Member

I think he says to get both chicken and fish. ;)

9. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Actually I've had both MX-London and MXJJS once, both were 3U and strung with the same string, same tension by the same stringer. I just wanted to know other ppl's opinion about them. For me, the JJS feels very crisp and very good for smashing from the back court. However, I noticed when the rallies were getting faster, there were times when I missed the timing. While using MX-London, it feels easier to keep up with the faster pace but you are correct, MX-London feels more dampened by Victor's standard though it's not as "numb" as hi-end YY rackets.
    I guessed my JJS was too heavy for me, it was probably weighed at the upper range of 3U. Need to try the 4U perhaps :rolleyes:

10. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    If you're still wondering which to buy Visor then consider that it's easier to train your hands to be faster to cover the 3 U version than it is to add to a 4U. All you need to do is my armchair exercises. You can find them in the video section on my website and they are free.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

11. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Tks Paul for the suggestion, but I've played before with 4U VTZF and 3U MX70 (both dry head wts 38.5g) for about half a year, and developed shoulder impingement syndrome as a result. So now that I know my limits I dare not push my body too much. The muscles I can strengthen, but the tendons they're fixed so I got to work with what I've got.

So now I only play with rackets with dry head wts around 37.4-38.0g.

#691 visor, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  12. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

From two 3U samples I had, the dry BP were quite consistent ~302mm but one was considerably lighter than the other. If the 4U has a similar BP, then you'll need to find one specifically sits at the upper range of 4U, somewhere around 84-84.5g.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is interesting. I just order two JJS in 3U and the BP (dry but with cellophane wrapping on handle) was 290mm for both. I just hope the retailer measured it correctly as that is what I'm counting on! I'd be disappointed if it ended up being 302mm!

14. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I know the BP may vary due to manufacturing tolerance but 290mm for 3U sounds a bit off and even the two layers of cellophane wraps at the handle may only shift the BP by 2-3mm. My MX-London balanced at 295mm (dry) and JJS should be a step head heavier.
    Well, you can measure them to confirm for nothing is impossible :)

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    302mm wet? IMO bp is nearly useless. Especially every "wet" racket is different and a dry 85g and a dry 89.9g racket feels very different with same bp. I think swing weight is the best messured value because this is the most noticeable value beside overall weight.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well it’s not really “wet” as such since it doesn’t have any strings or overgrip, it has the cellophane wrapping which we can probably account for, may be 3mm difference making the actual estimated dry BP probably circa 293mm (if 290 is correct). It would be unreasonable to ask the retailer to remove the wrapping to get a dry BP. Besides, 293 is still within my preferred BPs.

However what I’m saying is, if the retailer measured incorrectly and that the dry BP turned out to be around 302 like the JJS that quixilver has, then I will not be a happy bunny.

BP is not “useless” if we know how to use it and account for the influences such as the cellophane wrapping, strings etc. I think most online retailers are more willing to measure BP than head weights... which for me is adequate. The trouble with Victor racquets is that they do vary considerably, sometimes their weight class is wrong and we all know their BP vary so much. Now, I’m not saying other manufacturers don’t have this problem, but it seems more prominent in Victor amongst the top brands. Hopefully with their recent relocation/restructuring of their manufacturing base this will help.

#696 R20190, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  17. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I mean that the balance point is useless without a weight.

close headweight + close overall weight = close rackets
    close headweight + close balancepoint = close rackets
    close balancepoint + close overallweight = close rackets

For example the retailer measured both 3U rackets with, lets say your prefered 290mm. One racket is unstrung 87g and the second 91,5g. Only the balance point is nearly useless because both rackets will swing, feel and play different.

I have the same problem with high end Victor rackets. Same models can be feel like different rackets. I have 2 close SW35, 2 equal BS10 and 3 equal MX80. I was a long journey and alot of stress, but I can't sleep when my rackets vary too much. That would be horrible for me.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yes I agree... I always ask for the weights as well. In this instance, they were both 90g (which includes the cellophane) according to the retailer. My initial thoughts were what are the chances of getting two exact spec JJS's? I really hope it is just concidence and that the retailer measured it correctly.

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Where did you ordered them? DB, CS, TN?

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I bought them from RKEP. Great service I have to say although I had to pay an import charge.

The racquets arrived and the specs were not far off although one is noticeably more head heavy.

First one measured 91g with BP = 291mm (dry but with cellophane on handle)
    Second one measured 89.9g with BP = 291mm (dry but with cellophane on handle)

I could do a mini review if people are interested but as there are several reviews on this relatively old racquet not sure if it would be of much use to people.