Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    My debate is 'Money cannot buy Olympic Gold Medals'. But passion and dedication can.

Actually, Jamaica is not a poor nation; Kenya is much poorer, but look at the Gold medals that Kenya has achieved;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenya_at_the_Olympics

At the Summer Olympics, Kenya has recorded winning;
    * 23 Gold
    * 28 Silver
    * 24 Bronze

What can Malaysia (and Singapore) say?

#7101 chris-ccc, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No, and now you are changing the subject and made it worse by comparing SIN with MAS with your own unsubstantiated remarks.

Of course money alone can't buy Olympic medals but it can help athletes to perform better. Then why send Nicol to Holland and the divers and cyclist for overseas training?

I merely followed your inclination to cite taxpayers' money and how they should be well spent.

#7102 Loh, Dec 26, 2011
  3. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    even passion and dedication alone can't buy success...it's all together inside and outside an athlete...

you only bring up Jamaican and Kenyan where it's all about running...running is mostly physically oriented, so the talent naturally born with..

what about other sports which requires much resources mostly equipments??? Do you think Phelps could win if he swam in a pool in Jamaica?

NOTHING alone can buy success...it requires ALL resources...agree??

if you agree please come back to the original topics...

#7103 bogensaebel, Dec 26, 2011
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Malaysia didn't send Nicol to train in Holland. It's where Nicol chooses to train (as an independent player). I shall ask Nicol why she has chosen Holland when I see her next when she comes to Melbourne for our Squash tournament.

I rather not talk about taxpayers' monies spent on sportspersons, but to talk about the drive and the love of one's sport that one has.

#7104 chris-ccc, Dec 26, 2011
  5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

IMHO, Phelps could, even if he swam in a pool in Jamaica, Malaysia, Singapore or Australia.

But this is only my opinion. :):):)

#7105 chris-ccc, Dec 26, 2011
  6. bogensaebel

bogensaebel Regular Member

student
    Do you think if Phelps train from childhood in poor countries he will be like he is today? Don't be too realistic for the sake of arguments...

I rather see this is going more drifted from the topic which I join this forum for, BADMINTON..I'm not gonna talk Kenya, Jamaica, Phelps anymore...

GO LCW GO for OG12!!!!!

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanks for stopping our debate here. :D:D:D

Since you are cheering for LCW, how would answer the question in this LCW's thread?; found located at:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Chong-Wei-remain-World-No.1-until-the-2012-OG

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

They are in the 'potential OG medal' list due to their good results - Commonwealth & Asian Games gold medalist(which Msia was not before). For track cycling, CWG is more competitive than Asian Games. Chicken & egg thing. Personally I think if they had trained in Msia, including Nicol David, they would not have achieved what they did due to the politics in sports, immense pressure,etc,etc.
    For those who dont know, track cycling & diving train overseas train overseas the initial reason was lack of good facilities in Msia. And...the overseas stints delivered results.

So-> our Datuk LCW - for badminton, we never try before I think. Though I dont think training in China is good idea,perhaps other countries like INA. Dont have to use taxpayers money, use private sponsor - that's why lah uncle, better dont use taxpayers money;);)

9. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Greetings to you too,cobalt,

Ouch! You’ve stuck a prick in my ass by using LCW’s name to get atmy throat. Do you really need to do that?:D

Anyways, back to the point. You’ve set a very good example forwhat I wish to see from your greatest LCW. Self esteem, courage and sheerdetermination. Honestly, do you see enough of those qualities in the LCW oftoday? I would say yes but just not enough. Those qualities are in borne andself instilled. They aren’t taught or learned

You wouldn’t know if you have succeeded in getting at mythroat but at least you stood your ground and showed me you are a tough nutrather than I being the one difficult to crack.

Did you have anyone behind you for your cause of action? Iguess probably not. So who is to be blamed if you do not get my response? Itdoesn’t matter but the important thing is you will always be ready for me; any time,any day.;)

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @ OldBadFan,

:p Don't misunderstand, my "letter" wasn't meant to be really personal or an attack! It's just a device that any writer can use from time to time to present a point of view but it does need to be done properly and in good taste. I hope I have not offended you! :D

I am just stating the case as I see it. I am trying to take as much of an honest and progressive viewpoint as is possible for me, based on my observations. Often, this does not go down too well with many people! :D

11. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    :DAnother very very good example, my friend. The sight of your rivalry alone had put you on the defensive. That alone, you have lost momentum, and in doubt with your own objective. Who's is to blame?

Don't worry, I did my homework. I've read through a lot of your post sometimes over and over to at least get hold of your character. It had served me right, you aren't "a hard boiled egg". If I'm offended; I wouldn't even bother to reply.;)

I hope by now you understood my point. LCW has to got do his own homework. If he forever relies on assistance, he might get the wrong idea/s but at the end of the day; he and only he is to be blamed. "God help those who help themselves".

With your apologetic post I have succeeded in making another friend and had given me the confidence that I shall be welcome around. :)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've been fully aware of the parallels you were drawing between the "conversations" here and the "shortcomings" of someone else! :D That does not come in the way of my being civil, and putting you at ease. Generally, a friend is much easier to stab in the back, (or to let down - take your pick) than a rival. :p

But to your point about assistance for LCW... it is not asistance; it is team effort. I really need to stress this. I'm not sure you really appreciate what goes into the making of a champion. BAM got away with an essentially flawed program for him because they cashed in on his almost unreal physical and athletic abilities; they put all their money on the fact that enhancing his awesome strengths would complete mask his weaknesses. It didn't work. Now they are on the verge of losing the entire table. And you want LCW to pick up the tab??? I don't think so.

If you have been reading my posts, you should be familiar with this verse:
    But you who philosophize disgrace and criticize all fears
    Take the rag away from your face
    Now ain't the time for your tears.

Soon the time will come to sing the final verse.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lee Chong Wei can take advice from Misbun Sidek, says national coach Tey Seu Bock

http://blogs.bettor.com/Lee-Chong-W...dek,-says-national-coach-Tey-Seu-Bock-a120322

Posted By:
    Shaun Hector

Badminton News
    • [​IMG]
    Lee Chong Wei can take advice from Misbun Sidek, says national coach Tey Seu Bock

Malaysia’s Singles national coach, Tey Seu Bock, who is the official coach of the World Number One, Lee Chong Wei, said that he has no objection if the player wants to take advice from the former national coach, Misbun Sidek.

However, he further added that it is the matter of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM). With the permission of the official badminton body, Chong Wei can take assistance from Misbun, who has been the official coach of Chong Wei until February, 2011.

The 29-year-old Chong Wei wants to seek advice from Misbun to get back on the winning track as it is the right time to maintain his superiority in the game. He has been working hard for several years to become an Olympic Champion and now the championship is just seven months away.

Seu Bock said that Chong Wei is the only player from Malaysia who can bring the first ever gold medal for Malaysia at the 2012 Olympic Games and he should be given full freedom to take advice from the former coach as it will help him in his preparation for the mega event.

Seu Bock said, "I am not particular about working with anybody including Misbun, as I have also cooperated with him before. But at the moment, Rashid and Hendrawan are assisting me in game analyses, tactical and so on. For me I have no problem, it is up to BAM."

However, Seu Bock also said that he personally did not hear anything from Chong Wei as it comes into his knowledge through media.

He also expressed the upcoming plans of Chong Wei before London Olympics.
    He said, "However, at the moment the training has not been stepped up as Chong Wei was busy with several meets since the Malaysia Open."

Chong Wei lost his final contest against China’s Lin Dan at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Now it will be his last chance to prove his worth and win Men’s Singles title at the mega event, which is set to take place at the Wembley Indoor Arena, in London, England, from July 28 to August 5.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ...and on a blog, I just came across this:

MIsbun says "NO" to Lee Chong Wei...
    http://dahasry.blogspot.com/2011/12/misbun-says-no-to-lee-chong-wei.html

Excerpt:

Misbun Sidek finally broke the silence - by saying "NO" to the idea of "combining" him back with Lee Chong Wei in the preparation of the badminton star en route to the 2012 Olympics in Manchester.
    This was what Misbun said:
    "BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) have a lot of capable people to tackle the problem faced by Lee Chong Wei", he said.
    "I am a nobody and I am just a small person with little knowledge in badminton", he added.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Whoops.. Looks like MS said FO to BAM.. lol ;) Maybe it is time for LCW to go independent for a last hurrah? ;)

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Instead of reading that blog, read the source taken from Utusan Malaysia:

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=1226&pub=utusan_malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_01.htm&arc=hive

Please don't ask me to translate the whole page for you.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thanks, Pakito!
    ...and here is the Google translate version...

KUALA LUMPUR - Datuk Misbun Sidek aware, there is something 'missing' within the former child didiknya, Datuk Lee Chong Wei about eight months ahead of the Olympics, but unfortunately there is nothing you can do to help players No. 1 One world.
    Clearly Misbun, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have many more qualified experts to determine what is best for Chong Wei to reach the Olympic gold hunting mission, while he was just a normal person.
    Even experienced instructors also add, as a large organization, BAM is able to provide all the best for Chong Wei needs, while for himself, the responsibility of the player is finished since he walked out of the main body, earlier this year.
    "Sometimes I still follow the development of Chong Wei and after such a long time, my hunch says that he lost part of himself and therefore he was easy to lose focus can not provide the best games.
    "What makes him do it, I do not know, and besides it's not my responsibility to answer them. You have to ask the coach Chong Wei, I am just a friend of him, so as my friends can only see him play and hope he wins,''he said was found at the last day of the Badminton Championships MBPJ / Nusa Mahsuri 2011 in Kelana Jaya, yesterday.
    While expressing sympathy for those experienced Chong Wei, Misbun BAM reminded that they need to find solutions for Olympic champion completed the task is not easy.

"It's not working we can be 'cincai', they really do have an accurate and serious program."
    Even when asked, what is the position if Chong Wei really want him to return to help undertake missions Olympics, Misbun stressed that he did not consider the matter.
    Despite acknowledging that several times to meet the All England champion this year, but the meeting only meeting between two old friends, and he did not touch on the badminton or what is done Chong Wei in the ring.
    Can be confirmed why Misbun seem severe enough to re-join his former didiknya children, but the words that express the 51-year-old coach left little question, whether he was tired to return to the bosom of the BAM.
    "This (request Chong Wei) is actually not difficult, but to clean the 'dregs' is difficult. When I want to go out first, no sediment to be washed, then clean and be washed again.
    "So since then, I did not want to think about it. I am comfortable with my life now, I busied themselves with all sorts of activities and I occasionally help Nusa Mahsuri youth player development program," he said.
    Preparation Chong Wei, 29, to meet concerns Olympics after failing to qualify for the finals in the last three tournaments entered, the Hong Kong Open, China Open Super Series Masters Final.

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This is why I say sports is first about 'understanding' first, then comes 'invincibility'.

I believe what LCW asks for is solely for assistance and not to put the 'blame' on anyone, irregardless of there is a source to blame in the first place.

For those who say you need to believe in yourself to be a numero uno, I affirmed that.

For those who say that LCW does not need MS and the current setting is enough for him to get back the gold medal, you are like monkeys sitting on a magistrate's chair and presiding over matters.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    70% is mental stength, 30% others

Jing Junhong's comment on Feng Tianwei, Singapore's table tennis queen:

Jing Junhong was the first to put Singapore table tennis on the world map when she reached the singles semi-finals at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.

Now deputy head coach of the women's team, Jing believes Feng has chalked up enough experience and is now battle-hardened.

"The beginning of the year was a bit of a low point for her, but it was a pathway for her to mature," said Jing.

"She had never experienced something like this before, and for her to be a leader of the team, it was important for her to get the experience and she's become more mature."

At Feng's level, Jing believes the difference between success and failure at tournaments like the Olympic is what's in the head.

"Seventy per cent is about mental strength and 30 per cent on technique, skills and strategy - it's about being able to perform during a crucial moment," said the 43-year-old.

"You must dare to dream, and dare to do."

I wonder whether this can be applied to LCW too. :D

#7120 Loh, Dec 26, 2011