Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

cobalt:

Yep, imho, I concur with you that all that separates LD from LCW now is in the mental / psychological dept.

And being of Malaysian Chinese origin myself, it pains me to say that LCW won't be able improve upon this aspect any time soon. Definitely not in the next 8 months! It is practically impossible to change the basic character or personality of a person from an introvert who "maybe's" throughout his interviews into a person with an aggresive killer instinct. :(

Then again, I'm secretly hoping that he's secretly developing a secret weapon/move/psyche that he's saving for the OG 2012. He's just hiding it for now so that no one will know how to counter attack him then. One can always hope. :)

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Dato' LCW still has all the qualities to be the next OG and WC winner

Difficult does not mean that Dato' can't win the OG or any major title. Even though his recent repeated defeat to LD and CL is a disappointing scenario, his performance against other players is still superb.

For Dato' to increase his winning probability in any of his future encounters with LD, he needs to maintain his form of performance at the highest level consistently. This is because: (.....hmmm i think i've already posted this somewhere here in BC:rolleyes:)

Probability of winning : Dato' in his BEST FORM vs LD in not his BEST FORM : 60% > 40% (Dato')

Probability of winning : Dato' in his BEST FORM vs LD in his BEST FORM :
    45% < 55% (LD)

Probability of winning : Dato' in not his BEST FORM vs LD in his BEST FORM : 30% < 70% (LD)

Probability of winning : Dato' in not his BEST FORM vs LD in not his BEST FORM : 45% < 55% (LD)

Clearly even if Dato' in his best form coincidentally face LD in his best form, it will take all his might to win against LD, not to mention if Dato' in not in his form at all. No doubt that LD is superior than Dato', but then Dato' is no lesser inferior. If Dato' can consistently play well, the chances for him to beat LD is always there and in a long run, the chances for him to come out as a winner will
    favour him more than LD. At this stage, even Chen LONG at his BEST FORM cannot beat him.

He always has all the qualities to beat LD or CL or any player but currently his game play has lost some touch and he needs to be remind to work back all the qualities that he has that made him what he is now.

3. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It is good that LCW conceded a walkover to A Suppanyu in the 1st round of the Kumpoo Macau Open so as to better prepare himself for the Super Series Masters Finals in Lizhou, China, from 14 to 18 December 2011. If he had played, he would have very little time to recharge. LCW has over-competed since the Denmark Open and he needs the rest. The 2 Chinese qualifiers are smart to take time off.

#6843 skchen, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WOW!!! finally, LCW understands his problem!!! he is finally willing to withdraw!!!

there is still hope for LCW!!!! Malaysia BOLEH!!!

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think more realistic numbers would be.

LCW best form - LD best form = 35/65
    LCW best form - LD not best form = 60/40
    LCW not best form - LD not best form = 30/70
    LCW not best form - LD best form = 02/98

/T

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    LCW the Walkover man :D :D

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    IMHO, Badminton is going downhill. I posted this in the tournament thread;

8. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I think the players' coaches and their national bodies are responsible, not the players unless they are independent players like TH and MK/HS.
    To be fair, no one can foresee the players' health situation, come tournament time.

9. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Thanks for the insightful analysis. To be slightly contrarian, I just think that he is well and truly exhausted, both mentally and physically, from a gruelling 2011 tournament calendar, and especially after the World Championships. I am somewhat pleased that he withdrew from the Macau Open to rejuvenate. I would be even more pleased if he can withdraw from the Super Series finals, though I doubt the BWF would let him. He needs to start enjoying the game more instead of applying too much pressure on himself. I don't believe he has anything much to prove anymore, not even winning the WC or Olympics. I can understand the drive and determination, but sometimes one has to step back and to start waking up every morning smiling instead of battling one's personal demons on the badminton court every waking hour.

10. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant

LCW has just announced that he will retire after the 2013 World Championships.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    2012 OG Gold Medal & 2013 1st place WC is a sweeter goodbye for LCW...

12. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    All LCW's fans hope that will be the crowning glory of his illustrious 'career'.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Eh? Only one small iiity biity obstacle though: LD. :)

14. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

From AFP Sports

The Chinese Badminton Association is still reeling from Lin Dan's shock "exit" in the 2013 World Championships after LCW won in straight sets against Chen Long in the final. In the post match interview Head Coach Li Yongbo attributed it to a tactical error in strategy during the quarter finals.

"We thought Lin Dan was playing so well in the 1st and 2nd rounds that I instructed him to feign another tummy ache and give a walkover to his opponent Chen Long so that he can be well rested for the next tournament. However, I also forgot that this was the World Championships instead of the Singapore Open, so I am afraid I have to be blamed for this fiasco," the dejected coach said in a post-match press conference. "Next year I will definitely remember which tournament he is playing in."

LCW confirmed his retirement a few minutes after his victory. "It's really great to win this, and I have Li Yong Bo to thank for letting Lin Dan give a walkover in the quarter finals. Our Team Strategy worked really well - we were distributing Singapore Open pamphlets in the Chinese camp during the night while they were sleeping. I guess everyone woke up thinking it was the Singapore Open. Malaysia Boleh!"

AFP / Reuters

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
  16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LCW just proves that what Chris-ccc imagines about him can come true! Powerful stuff, Chris.The sad thing about LCW doing a CHN is that his lawyer boss did not know how to lie about the walkover. Walkover to prevent an injury instead of walkover because of an injury! If BWF accepts that reason, then we can expect walkovers galore since there s no need for doctors to certify. Now instead of lawyers being known as professional liars, NCC change the impression to lawyers are white liars.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    :D:D:D Tell you what; I am really lost about how Badminton is organised.

Some people say that for Badminton to be a popular sport to follow (like Tennis), why not just copy how Tennis tournaments are conducted?

But it looks like BWF, Badminton Associations and players want to reject the way Tennis is managed.

#6857 chris-ccc, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Light and easy 2012 for Lee

01 December 2011
    http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/light-and-easy-2012-for-lee-1.13407

Excerpts:

The World No 1, who on Tuesday withdrew from the Macau Open due to physical and mental exhaustion, has been far from his best in recent tournaments after a gruelling season.

This is a situation the BA of Malaysia (BAM) does not want when the 29-year-old begins his quest to win Malaysia its first ever gold medal at the London Games next year.

Deputy president Datuk Dr Mohamed Al-Amin Abdul Majid, who spoke at the launch of the Maybank Malaysian Open yesterday, said BAM would prepare a programme to keep Chong Wei fresh for the London challenge.

"Chong Wei is not getting any younger and for a player at this stage of his career, he needs proper rest and recovery to keep on performing well," said Al-Amin.

"His coaches will have to look into changing his programme to one that will keep him in top shape for the Olympics, which may mean playing less tournaments."

19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Interestingly, LCW won all his matches in easy 2 sets at the HK SS and Shanghai SSP against all his opponents, except against LD.

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    interesting..... for the last 24 months, LD often loses to (or withdraw in the face of) lower-ranked players (ie, those not in top8) in SS and SSP....