Jenny Wallwork is retiring at 26

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by AlanY, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ChubbyCheshire

ChubbyCheshire Regular Member

No that would be step too far !

I reckon it will be resolved fairly quickly, and perhaps a bit of bad publicity before the All England is better than none !

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yeah, just saying the local BA do have the power. For Badminton England it would be bad publicity if they even imply such thing. An independent player's entry do need to go thru their country's BA.

Msia's case is different, BAM do show power and have at times made life difficult for the independent players. TCS's 1.5 years ban in Asia was one, GanTC/TBS not getting to go WC was another, earlier was forgetting to send Roslin Hashim's entry to 2 tournaments costing Roslin valuable WR pts. One of the players fear if they resign is BAM may ban them

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

These are exceptional cases and Malaysia do allow independents(Robert Blair's partner coincidentally). My point was though by Jenny's statement she would have you believe it is not possible to become independent, only play in local tournaments which is not true, many players do it. So "ultimately" it is down to her if she wants to compete in big tournaments

4. ChubbyCheshire

Probably doesn't want to self fund.

I sometimes wonder if badminton would do better if it steered away from playing for your country (except at Olympics etc) and was more like tennis, where you play for yourself (except at Olympics/ Davis Cup) ?

5. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Not enough money in the game for that, IMO. The national funding allows more athletes to compete and it not be an elitist sport (like Tennis can be - disclaimer, I play both ;) )

6. ChubbyCheshire

I agree, but is it a Catch 22, no money so you have to play for your country, but no money invested because you play for your country ?

I wish it got more TV time - much better to watch than tennis ;)

7. brennanlord

brennanlord Regular Member

She has just posted on her FB:

Mail Online.. Statement from Badminton England "There had been no indication of my unhappiness"...

It is beyond belief that Badminton england claim that my resignation was a shock to them and that they claim there was no indication of my unhappiness. When for the past 8 months i have undergone countless meetings, a formal Grievance procedure and a meeting with the chief executive himself to state that i was considering withdrawing myself from the GB programme.

Taken them by surprise...I think not!!

8. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    yup just saw this...quite sad. is it usefull now to engage in a public clash between her and Badminton England ? not sure there will be a winner, in the end of the day..

9. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I'm glad she's posted that. Really glad.

It makes it clear that the BE statement was a lie. The implication of their statement is that she hasn't communicated her problems, thus giving them no chance to address them, and that she acted rashly in quitting. The reality appears to be the opposite.

It's not a clever first step by BE. If it was simply a case that Wallwork was being unreasonable in her requests then they could have come out and said that. e.g. 'regretfully no common ground could be found...etc etc. However they didn't and instead feined ignorance. Tends to make me believe her more than them...

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Exactly. This is an exercise in trying to hurt Badminton England and the UK set up rather than what is best for herself. Can't understand why she would all out retire?

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

This sounds like a silly decision to me. You can't always have it your way. I do my job pretty well too but I still have to follow the rules of my boss and it's the same rules for all. What she basically doing is quitting her job because she can't have an individual lay-up designed just for her and now she's gonna what, quit the sport? Or come crawling back? Of course I don't know the details so maybe I'm being too harsh.

12. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

And what if your company rules mean that you can't compete with other companies?
    I'd leave if that were the case; I don't want to live frustrated by my work, and nor should she need to. Simple as that.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My point is that you do not have to be a citizen of a country to play for that country with the following exceptions - a) the Olympics, or 2) team events (Sudirman Cup etc)

I remember Pi Hong Yan played under Denmark and France. Zhou Mi, Wang Chen played under HK. Eng Hian/Flandy played under England.

If not Wales or Scotland, then another country is a option.

Given that BE were (formally) her employers, she does have to comply with company policy. But if she thinks she can do better overall without the company, then this is only reasonable. If she needs to then, she is free to look for another company (i.e. another national association if they will have her), or be independent (which is not without precedent).

Training facilities, flights, coaches, support system equals no money invested?

#33 Cheung, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think she means no money invested as in, less big sponsors are attracted to badminton because it remains a team sport not independent stars. She is trying to say players remaining within their country set up is hurting the commercial side of badminton.

She would never train in Scotland or Ireland. Although if she came to Scotland she could be the partner that Bankier needs.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I see. She is not the first to say that.

Purely speculating but if she ever paired up with Jwala Gutta, that would indeed be an interesting and fiery combination full of personality!

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

So just give up and be frustrated in life instead of work. Even when you claim that is the only company you can work for and you love the job passionately. I don't think so.

17. SolsticeOfLight

I'd find an other job that suits my needs.
    I don't think Jenny will be lazing around at home for 60 years until she dies ...

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

She will have to spoon-feed Nathan in 10 years so not likely she can laze around the next 60 :p ...

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Eh? Her needs were she wanted to become the best she could at badminton in the best partnership and she claimed Badminton England were not making that happen for her. What job is going to fill that need. That's why she is quitting after all, lets not forget the point.

20. SolsticeOfLight

It's not like she only has one need ... Just like the rest of us who balance out different aspects of our lives.