Two more female foreign-born players quit SBA

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Zhang dropped for poor discipline

TODAY

SBA not renewing her contract, give assurance her exit won't affect team

[​IMG]
    by Low Lin Fhoong
    04:46 AM Mar 24, 2011

SINGAPORE - It is confirmed: Shuttler Zhang Beiwen has been dropped from the national team.

The 20-year-old was suspended in January for disciplinary reasons and the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) have decided not to renew her contract when it expires on March 31.

The player had told Media-Corp last month that she had attended a New Year's Eve party at a friend's house and returned to the Singapore Sports School hostel only on Jan 2 as training was scheduled to resume the day after.

Zhang claimed that she had not flouted any rules but SBA's acting chief executive officer Michael Foo said the association's management committee had decided not to renew her contract.

Foo told MediaCorp last night: "We recognise that she is a valuable player but we cannot compromise on discipline so we are releasing her. We also gave her an opportunity to speak. Her previous disciplinary issues also speak for herself and we had no choice."

Foo said the decision was made in consultation with chief coach Luan Ching, high performance manager Chew Keet Hou and other coaches.

The SBA had also consulted Malaysian badminton club KLRC - Zhang had played for them in 2008 - on her performance and attitude.

Zhang, who was informed of the decision two weeks ago in the presence of a representative from the Singapore Sports Council, declined to comment when contacted yesterday.

Foo assured that Zhang's departure will not have a major impact on the national squad, who will be defending the women's team bronze at November's SEA Games in Palembang.

"The results from the latest All England show that some of the players have improved. This shows that we are moving in the right direction and we have a pipeline," he said.

"Of course we want good players but we cannot ignore discipline. Other than players' skills, this is one of the criteria for national players that we look out for."

Once ranked as high as world No 31, Zhang won a mixed team bronze at the 2007 World Junior Championships and claimed the Vietnam Grand Prix Open title a year later.

But the China-born athlete, who obtained her citizenship in 2007, has had a spotted disciplinary record.

In April 2008, she parted ways with SBA to play in Malaysia and Taiwan, but returned to the national fold seven months later. She was suspended without pay for three months last May for poor attitude during training and tournaments, and for refusing to follow the coach's instructions.

The suspension saw her missing out on tournaments like the 2010 Li Ning Singapore Open Super Series and Commonwealth Games in New Delhi last October.

While Zhang's future in Singapore seems uncertain, the SBA said that they would extend help and support to her if required.

#121 Loh, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Feel so sorry for Zhang Beiwen

Feel so sorry for her. She seems to be so undecided; to train or not to train, to play for Singapore or for Malaysia/Taiwan, etc, ......

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Same here. Such a pity as she has the potential to go far. At her age now she seems to have a lot of distractions and is not focused. Her indiscipline will haunt her and it may be difficult for her to continue her badminton career as a professional. She has been given a chance by SBA to repent but she did not heed the advice it seems. I hope she will be able to find something more to her liking. I just wish her well.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I guess she would continue with Badminton; perhaps looking for another country to welcome her.

5. miksss

miksss Regular Member

#125 miksss, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

so she still plays under singapore flag then?

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think so since she has been dropped from the national squad.
    It's pity, she could have played in international tournaments.

8. dawei

dawei Regular Member

關于張蓓雯的事情,有很多真相,但現在不能說。我知道的張蓓雯性格倔強,她知道自己有錯,但絕不都是她的錯。她已經融入新加坡,認同新加坡,她感謝新加坡。她愿意為新加坡效力。如果國家選擇她,她會毫不猶豫地征戰賽場。她現在不說話,一年時間被停訓、停賽兩次,達半年之久。她可以忍受,是因為她不想影響新加坡的形象。起碼到目前為止,她沒有放棄訓練,她不會放棄為新加坡效力的任何機會,她感謝所有幫助和關心她的人。她不是爛泥,扶得上墻的。除非新加坡徹底拋棄她。

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can someone please translate for the benefit of others.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

But in TS website, i could see she stil plays under singapore in ina league..

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, it could simply mean she is from Spore, location wise, since this is a domestic league.
    But do you understand what was written in Chinese in the previous post?

12. Frosty

Frosty Regular Member

A very direct translation of what was written in chinese

"There are some happenings concerning this incident which cannot be revealed , at least not now .The Zhang BeiWen I know is strong headed . She knows she did wrong , but its not entirely her fault . She is settled in Sg and is thankful to the country . She is ever willing to serve Singapore . As long as the country wants her , she will continue to represent the country , no questions asked . Right now , she has choosen not to reveal anything because she does not want to affect the image of Singapore even though within the time of one year , she had to endure being suspended from training once , suspended from competition twice . At least right up to this moment , she has not yet given up on training and will not give up any oppurtunity to serve Singapore . She thanks all who have helped and cared for her . She is not a lost cause . Unless , Singapore decides to give up on her ."

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Frosty.

Again I say it is a pity she didn't take her professional career too seriously.
    Despite being punished the first time she did not learn and did it the second time.

IMHO I think she was given the chance to speak her mind and it doesn't do her well to hide anything and give the impression she has been wronged.

No use crying over split milk. She is on her own now. She gained her INDEPENDENCE and she can do what ever she wants.
    I don't think the SBA wants to waste anymore time on her.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    She is expected to win.
    I'm not sure whether any of the Indonesian girls are in the national team. They are not familiar names to me.

I expected a stroll in the park for her as she had to play only three matches against lower-ranked players to win.

At this rate she is going, she will go downhill, I'm afraid.

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    It was reported in the local press last weekend that Zhang Beiwen is currently training in the Candra Wijaya Academy and the new SBA chief would like to give Zhang Beiwen another chance. He also hope that the ties of Chief Coach Luan Jin and Zhang Beiwen would improve.

Personally I feel that this new CEO should not undermine the Chief Coach's decisioin as this sends a wrong message to the team. And I thought I could say good riddance to Zhang Beiwen....

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No wonder she participated in the Indonesian domestic tournament, maybe with Candra's encouragement.

Just wonder whether RS helped her to train under Candra in the interim.

I assume you are right but I'm surprised that she's been given yet another chance and I hope she will not fail the chief coach and Singapore again.

Please Beiwen, grow up!

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps Zhang Beiwen is thinking of going independent soon. ???

But will SBA allow her to represent Singapore after she goes independent?

19. dawei

dawei Regular Member

第一次,张蓓雯向教练说了一些自己的想法,关于训练方法方面的,是为了提高比赛成绩。栾劲认为是张蓓雯挑战他的权威。这期间,又发生了几件偶然的事情。栾劲很记恨她。他们之间吵过架。由此张蓓雯被sba处罚。张蓓雯没有话语权在新加坡,无依无靠。只能任人宰割。如果仅仅是停赛、停薪的处罚。我认为是在给张蓓雯机会,但是停训就意味着栾劲要废掉张蓓雯。停训是致命的打击,对于运动员来说。好在sba坚持,张蓓雯侥幸没有被开除。三个月后,张蓓雯恢复训练,栾劲不再教他,由丁超指导她训练。双方配合很好,张蓓雯成绩恢复很快。但栾劲对她一直耿耿于怀。她小心翼翼的训练、比赛。非常害怕惹怒栾劲。栾劲也很少和她交谈。她也意识到栾劲不会放过她。没想到很快事情就发生了。
    在中国就是这样,主教练可以因为自己的喜好废掉任何运动员,因为运动员很多。谁想进国家队都会带给主教练好处。张蓓雯出成绩不会给栾劲带来好处,因为不是他在指导张蓓雯。而且还会挡着栾劲指导的运动员的路。显得他无能,因此设个套给张蓓雯,尽快废掉她。
    我不太理解新加坡为何选择栾劲,据他同行讲,他性格古怪,心胸狭窄,嗜酒。也没有培养出什么像样的运动员。他说他培养出董炯等运动员,全是吹牛。

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You'll have to ask SBA.
    But if ZBW's contract is not renewed because of poor discipline, I doubt SBA will allow her to represent Singapore.

However according to Sealman, she has just been accepted back. I have not read any confirmation yet.